Help with HTPC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help with HTPC

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Help with HTPC

Hi Guys,

I need help engineering a HTPC with the focus on it being operated by remote. I will be using the Playstation Vue service on it most of the time on it.

I already know what you guys are thinking. Why don't I use a Roku, FireTV or an Android TV device? The reason is they won't function at two different locations at the same time. Due to the way Playstation Vue works, I can only stream with those devices from home. I cannot use them when I visit my parents if someone is streaming from my place. I can use non TV-connected device like a phone, tablet or laptop though.

So it occurred to me that I should able to stream via a browser at my parents' place with their old PC connected to the TV since technically a PC is not considered a TV device. I tested the theory and it worked so now I want to put something together than can stay at their house with the emphasis on simplicity.

Lastly, I have a spare I5 2500k, Asus motherboard and 16gb of ram I was thinking of using on this machine to get 1080p with no issues. So keeping in mind that this all has to operate through a browser, whats the best way to approach this? What else do I need?

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 137)
Why are you only wanting to use a remote as the remote you will need to buy will be quite a bit more than buying the corsair k83 HTPC keyboard?

Waiting for something to blow up!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by downlinx View Post
Why are you only wanting to use a remote as the remote you will need to buy will be quite a bit more than buying the corsair k83 HTPC keyboard?
I wanted to keep things simple in the event my parents would want to use it. It's easier to hand them a remote than a keyboard.

I've also been considering to somehow get Android onto the PC since the Vue app lends itself to remote usage. I tried an emulator but the frame rate of the video wasn't that great and the highest resolution was far from HD. If I installed Linux, could I get Android functioning somehow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
I wanted to keep things simple in the event my parents would want to use it. It's easier to hand them a remote than a keyboard.

I've also been considering to somehow get Android onto the PC since the Vue app lends itself to remote usage. I tried an emulator but the frame rate of the video wasn't that great and the highest resolution was far from HD. If I installed Linux, could I get Android functioning somehow?
you can install android x86, there are a few different good variants out on xmdb if you wanted to run android as an OS. But if you are wanting a remote, I do believe that one of the Logitech Harmony remotes will work. for your needs.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

you can install android x86, there are a few different good variants out on xmdb if you wanted to run android as an OS. But if you are wanting a remote, I do believe that one of the Logitech Harmony remotes will work. for your needs.
Ok, I'll give Android x86 a shot. I'm not big on the Kodi setup though. Those menus will definitely confuse my parents. I think something more vanilla that resembles their phones would be best. Are there any variants you would recommend And do they display at 1080p?

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 03-28-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Ok, I'll give Android x86 a shot. I'm not big on the Kodi setup though. Those menus will definitely confuse my parents. I think something more vanilla that resembles their phones would be best. Are there any variants you would recommend And do they display at 1080p?
just remember, that you will need to be able to do onboard audio maybe through onboard hdmi/dvi as they still do not have hdmi audio though dedicated gpu's yet.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

just remember, that you will need to be able to do onboard audio maybe through onboard hdmi/dvi as they still do not have hdmi audio though dedicated gpu's yet.
With that being said, do you think my I5 2500k is sufficient enough for a consistent 1080p stream? I can overclock if necessary. I was able to clock it up to 4.6ghz on a noctua fan. Not sure if I wanna plunk down $80 for another one to get this machine working though.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

the 2500k stock should be enough.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
Of corse an i5 2500k can steam 1080p, no question.

I built my parents an HTPC a while back and they bought a different device for streaming. They are not computer illiterate but the HTPC was too much extra effort for them.

I would advise against setting old people up with an HTPC.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Of corse an i5 2500k can steam 1080p, no question.

I built my parents an HTPC a while back and they bought a different device for streaming. They are not computer illiterate but the HTPC was too much extra effort for them.

I would advise against setting old people up with an HTPC.
They're familiar with Android since they have it on their phones. And honestly they're probably going to use it sparingly. It'll get more use out of me and other (younger) family members.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in