Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - * * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8051 View Post

WRT Thermalright vs. Noctua, doesn't Noctua use much better bearings
than Thermalright? I've read Noctua uses some sort of magnetic bearings
in their high end fans while most Thermalright fans seem to use sleeve
bearings.
There is nothing the matter with sleeve bearings. Most internal combustion engines use similar bearings.

I have some TY-140 fans that have been in use for a long long time pretty much running 24/7 .. I think about 6 years now. They are still as quiet as they were to start with.

Fan Vibration Dampening With Grommets like used for Electrical Work
One of the best ways I've seen and used is with old fashion wiring grommets.

The case usually needs the hole drilled out so grommet will fit. Drill hole big enough so grommet is a nice loose fit. This way when screw snugs up it does not force the rubber hard against the edges of hole.

Also solves the problem of blind mounting of screw through a rubber wash without it touching the case. A vibration mount only works if it separates the vibrating object (fan) from what it's mounted on. If any part of fan or it's mounting hardware touches what it is being mounted to, the vibration is transmitted through this contact.

Additionally, the screw must not be tightened into fan too tight or the 'vibration mount' is compressed, becomes more dense and transmits the vibration. wink.gif

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base