Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - * * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1661 (Unique: 924)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhite311988 View Post

I had recently purchased an Air 540 in Arctic White to do my black/white (mostly white) themed build. I am running an Asus Mark S Sabertooth with the Avexir Sabranco limited edition ram sticks and a Galax GTX 980 Hall of Fame gpu. I know some of that seems irrelevant, but I kind of wanted to give an idea on the theme I have going on here before I ask my questions. I was wondering which black/white fans would be optimal for my case? I am trying to further understand your guides to help choose and set up my fans. Also, I would like a matching cpu cooler that will still allow me to show off my blinking white LED lights on the ram without sacrificing cooling performance? I hear that the mounts for the front intake on the air 540 can slightly restrict the airflow when using two 140mm fans instead of 3 120mm fans. As far as cpu cooler goes, I know there is a Dark Knight II Frostbourne Edition that seems like it may fit well with my theme - http://www.techpowerup.com/180801/xigmatek-dark-knight-frostbourne-edition-cpu-cooler-announced.html. Any suggestions on case fan choice/setup would be greatly appreciated. What is your opinion on the Aerocool Dead Silence case fans? I am also considering the TY-147A fans. I live in the United States, but I don't mind having anything shipped from overseas. Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the delay. Busy weekend chasing bunnies. biggrin.gif

Some of this you already know, but here goes.

Your Mark S Sabertooth has about 50-52mm center CPU toward RAM.
Avexir Sabranco is 30mm tall

Cryorig R1 Universal is mostly white and is 48.5mm center CPU to front of 13mm front fan.

Stock fan clears no problem. Using TY-147 or TY-147A fans or some other white fans would move fan over RAM a little.

Not many white coolers out there. I'm not impressed with the Dark Night coolers. Have you considered using white light gray spray paint on a cooler? As long as the top is color matched to your system, the fins hardly show. And by spraying at a steep angle the edges get colored when painting the top of cooler without hindering cooling. We just don't want a lot of paint going between the fins, but on the edges it no problem.

I have never used Aerocool fans so can't really help there. I do use TY-140, TY-143, TY-147 and TY-147A fans and love them all.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base