A friend of mine, Kevin, is a musician and wants a PC mainly for audio recording. Maybe some video recording/editing too. It will not be used for gaming. $1,500 budget, but if we could come in under budget that would be fantastic.
* No need for a keyboard or monitor.
* Would be devastated if his music collection was lost, since this is side of income for him on the side. He wants only SSD's. I decided on 2 SSD's in a RAID 1 array to protected the information on the PC.
* Will be doing most of the mixing from a mixing board (not at the PC's sound card). The music will enter his PC through firewire. This PC needs a decent sound card, but nothing too fancy or over the top. No need for RCA outputs, nor will the sound card need to drive high impedance outputs......that will be done at the mixing board.
* PC needs basic wi-fi capabilities. No need for 802.11 a/c or anything over-the-top.
* More USB ports = better.
* Wants the quietest PC that is practical within his budget.
* Doesn't care about colors or the aesthetics. It should be professional. No need for crazy lights.
* Has no interest is overclocking.CASE: Factal Design R5 (Blackout with Window option)
- Insulated with high density noise reducing insulation and ultra quiet fans. Also it has nice cable management.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352057SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
- 7.1 channels, firewire, 192 khz 24-bit, PCI interface, gold plated contacts.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE4XA9790POWER SUPPLY: SeaSonic SS-520FL2 520watts 80 plus platinum
- I chose this specific power supply over several others that were cheaper because this one was fanless which equalls quiet. Not to mention it is platinum efficiency and fully modular.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151122MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z170-X1/3.1 LGA 1551
No comments here, it looks like it will do what I want.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157681CPU: i5-7500 Kaby Lake
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N857X4337GPU: XFX Radeon RX 460 DirectX 12 RX-460P4HFG5 4GB Fanless Video Card
- This should be more than enough to drive any resolution monitor
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150786RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3466
- Nuff said.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232286SSD: TWO SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB
- Will use two of them in a RAID 1 array. I explained to Kevin that we could put Windows on a SSD and use HDD's in a RAID array for storage....but Kevin says he would prefer that I used only SSD's for the whole project. He says 500GB of storage will be sufficient.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K2GN1590WI-FI: Linksys AE3000-NP High Performance Dual-Band Wireless-N Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
ACCESSORIES: USB 2 Port A Female to 9 Pin Slot Plate Adapter USB Panel
- I want to give Kevin as many USB ports as the motherboard will allow. :-)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3DG3895ACCESSORIES: OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Left Angle W/ Metal Latch,
- Not sure of the motherboard comes with SATA cables, so figured I would throw some into the build.
Total Cost: $1278.82.
EDIT: CPU COOLER: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK SLIM Silent Wings CPU Cooler
- Chose the slim over the "full size" due to complains of the full size not fitting around RAM. It doesn't need to perform much better than the stock heatsink since he won't be overclocking...it just needs to be quieter and I think this fits the bill.