New Build Advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New Build Advice

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I am in the process of constructing a new computer over the next few months. I have a few general questions that I haven't been able to find solid answers for; also, there are a few parts that I haven't been able to make a final decision on (and some parts haven't been released yet) so I am looking for a small variety of advice.

To start with, the goals of my build (in order of importance) are as follows:
1. 4k Gaming at high quality settings at a stable 60fps
2. Minimizing sound from the computer (I am replacing my current computer, which aside from gaming doubles as a HTPC)
3. Gain some experience setting up a custom water-cooling loop. as well as overclocking (likely not extreme overclocking - as per 2. I don't want my computer to sound like a small jet engine)
4. Higher performance than 1. if possible (stable 120fps? I'm going from 1080p to 4k, so I don't have a good intuition of what is realistic at that resolution with high settings)

The build as planned so far:
CPU: very likely AMD Threadripper 1900X
Motherboard: I have no idea - I'm waiting for reviews of the various TR4 boards that I expect will start to drop on the 10th
GPU: I'm waiting until we get full benchmarks for Vega. If it outperforms a 1080 consistently, then I will probably go 2x or 3x Vega 64; otherwise, I'll take a look at what Nvidia has to offer. I'll probably buy specifically a Sapphire brand card, since I have had several good experiences with their cards.
RAM: Haven't really decided on this yet, though I'll almost certainly be going quad-channel @3200. I probably will never need more than 32GB, but I am still tempted to get 64GB and be done with it biggrin.gif Corsair Vengeance?
PSU: I'm heavily leaning toward be quiet!'s Dark Power Pro 11 1200W for this.
System Drive: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD
HDD: An assortment of large platter drives (I am in the process of digitizing my rather substantial DVD/Blu-ray collection) and my Steam library is pretty huge too
Disc Drive: Pioneer - BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Case: I am waffling between be quiet!'s Dark Base Pro 900, and Phanteks Enthoo Primo PH-ES813P_SRD
Cooling: I plan on doing a custom loop, but I haven't really given too much consideration to the details yet, and probably won't until the CPU and GPUs I am looking at are actually released tongue.gif

I appreciate that getting good performance and noise reduction at the same time can be difficult, and I don't mind paying more for higher quality part (although there are limits - the Phanteks Elite case looks gorgeous, but I'm not paying over a grand just for a case...). I'm particularly interested for opinions on the PSU and Case I'm considering. I'm also open to suggestions on RAM and HDDs, but I haven't spent as much time looking into those yet.

I also have a few general (potentially stupid, but I couldn't seem to find solid answers for) questions:
i) As a rule of thumb, as far as I can tell, it seems like running with larger radiators and larger fans at a slower rpm is the best way to get good cooling while minimizing noise. Is this in fact reasonable, or am I off base here? Also, I am looking at Phanteks's various PH-F140 brand fans. Are these considered good for a mix of performance and noise reduction? What are some other good options these days? I know the Dark Power Pro I'm looking at uses Silent Wings 3, but it's hard to find comparisons between fans tongue.gif
ii) While I didn't ultimately end up water-cooling my current computer when I built it so many years ago, I did seriously consider it at the time, and there was all sorts of disagreement when it came to loop order and multiple loops and parallel and serial loops, etcetera, etcetera... It seems like now there is largely agreement that a single loop is best, and that all that really matters when it comes to loop order is to have the pump follow the reservoir - is this essentially correct? Even for multi-GPU setups?
iii) Will any set of 4x?GB RAM run in quad-channel mode (assuming I put it in the right slots in the motherboard, etc., or do I need to by RAM that specifically advertises itself as quad-channel? Everything I have found seems to suggest that quad-channel memory use is primarily a motherboard issue, rather than a specific RAM issue, but I haven't found any resources that explicitly discuss whether you have to use RAM that is specifically designed for quad-channel use.

Thanks in advance!

I hope this is a reasonable place to post this - if not, I apologize and plead forgiveness as this is my first post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:36 PM
waifu for lifu

Rep: 327 (Unique: 245)
Regarding crossfire with Vega: https://www.overclock.net/t/1635547/tpu-amd-giving-up-on-crossfire-with-rx-vega/0_30#post_26260347

PCMR
(18 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 7 1700
Motherboard
ASROCK TAICHI X370
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB NAS HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2)
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue SSD 2TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S (CPU COOLER)
Cooling
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm Blue LED Fan (X6)
Case
LIAN LI PC-V760B
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 64
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q - LED monitor - 4K - 27"
Keyboard
LEOPOLD FC980M / MAXKEY SA CHOCOLATE KEYSET
Mouse
LOGITECH G305 WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Headphones
Other
Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai Joystick modded
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks - I'm just headed out right now for dinner, but I will read it when I get back. I hadn't heard anything about a reduction in Crossfire support before, so this could significantly affect my build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in