No Case - Open Air - Not 100% silent, but pretty close !! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

No Case - Open Air - Not 100% silent, but pretty close !!

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
No Case - Open Air - Not 100% silent, but pretty close !!

If you're looking for a quiet gaming computer you might want to try an open air one.

After decades of messing around with various case types and lots of different intake and exhaust fans I've found the best performing and quietest is by not using a conventional case.

The latest version has only 5 fans, 2 Noctua D15 fans and the EVGA FTW3 1080ti 3 fans. The 8700K cpu is overclocked to 5.3Ghz and the GPU is overclocked to 2012Mhz.

The motherboard, gpu and cpu are actually separated from the PSU and hard drives with long PSU and SATA extension cables .................. with the motherboard, GPU and CPU sitting on a shelf and the PSU & storage drives hidden under a table. The monitor is on a desk about 8' away from the GPU.

That way there is no heat transfer from the PSU or drives to the GPU or CPU.

And, because there is no need to deal with any heat buildup inside a case there are no ventilation fans at all.

By sticking with an simple air cooling, there is no water pump heat & noise or extra cooling fans to deal with.

Conventional thinking is that a case lowers the overall noise because the case itself blocks noise, but what I've found is it actually creates a louder situation because the internal heat builds up that requires more and more fans that all have to work harder and harder to intake and exhaust air.

Not to mention that the GPU and CPU cooling fans have to work harder and are noisier because they are using hot air to start with instead of an open air design where all the components are always using fresh air.

Higher overclocks are possible because everything runs cooler.

Anyway..... just something that might be considered if a quiet gaming computer is what you're looking for.

The only issue is the computer needs to be in a location that isn't going to damaged by little hands sticking toys into it !

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	93369  

Name:	image1 2.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	93377  

Last edited by stillsurfn; 02-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:12 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 252 (Unique: 191)
Very nice! Cable runs done very tastefully as well, looks good.

six|speed
(11 items)
CPU
i7 4790k
Motherboard
Gryphon Z97
GPU
Asus GTX760 OC
RAM
16GB Crucial Ballistix
Hard Drive
2x 256GB Crucial MX100
Power Supply
Seasonic X650
Cooling
H60
Case
Legacy U3
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro
Operating System
OS X Yosemite
Monitor
2x Dell U2414H
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 130 (Unique: 114)
Very well done and clean.

E8500 @ 4.5
DD Torture Rack Build Log
Quote:Originally Posted by CyberDruid http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the deal is confront the cops at a Donut Shop and it totally screws them up.
£?møñЮ?p?™
(13 items)
CPU
Intel i7-4790k @ 4.7
Motherboard
ASrock Z87 ITX
GPU
EVGA 1070 Hybrid
RAM
HyperX Savage 2x8GB
Hard Drive
1TB Crucial MX500
Power Supply
EVGA P2 1000w
Cooling
CRYORIG H7
Case
Phanteks Enthoo ITX
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
Monitor
Dell S2716DGR
Keyboard
CM Quickfire TK
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
JDS Labs cMoy BB/Fiio E10 + HD 598/Q701
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 191)
Nice setup! I used to run an open setup when I was into hardware reviews as it made swapping hardware around much easier and I didn't really have any cases at the time that I liked.

There are some downsides to running without a case, dust and in some circumstances increased noise. I had a Corsair AX1200i that would emit a high frequency noise when turned off, so I had to completely disconnect it every night as it prevented us from being able to sleep, this wasn't an issue when it was in a case.

The ultimate solution is probably watercooling.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks guys !!

It's ironic ...... I actually have a lot less dust issue with this open case design.

It seemed that the intake fans on previous closed case designs sucked more floating dust from all around the room (kinda like a vacuum) into the case where it accumulated more on the components and fans.

And, cases with really fine mesh screens just collected dust and restricted air flow raised the inside of the case temps to rise causing more noise.

As far as PSU noise...... that's one of the reasons I separated the computer into 2 parts. The PSU & drives are in their case below the table.

I'm not a big fan of watercooling because of pump noise.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Looks great, I also noticed on my Arc Midi R2 that the biggest source of noise is actually the turbulence at the front grille, it's the quietest if I just remove the front filter assembly altogether. So I too have been toying with the idea of an open air build, but I'm thinking on a somewhat different approach, by building a vertical tray and sticking psu and drives behind it, should look interesting for a compact atx build.
Speaking of which, what MB tray is that?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Looks great!

Have you tried aluminium cases from the likes of Lian Li? Supposedly they act as a big heatsink. Also Silverstone do one which uses thermal convection and is also made from aluminium unfortunatly it is m-atx.

If I was rich enough I would like my own case made from aluminium I figure slow RPM large circumference fan at the bottom pushing air upwards would do the job, something like a 500mm at 100rpm? And maybe one at the top too (exhaust fan) and then just passive stuff inside?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jonny27 View Post
Looks great, I also noticed on my Arc Midi R2 that the biggest source of noise is actually the turbulence at the front grille, it's the quietest if I just remove the front filter assembly altogether. So I too have been toying with the idea of an open air build, but I'm thinking on a somewhat different approach, by building a vertical tray and sticking psu and drives behind it, should look interesting for a compact atx build.
Speaking of which, what MB tray is that?

I'm using the top part of a Banchetto 101 as the base for motherboard. The Banchetto is a 2 part computer. The base part holds the PSU and drives. But, the way I've got it set up ... only the top part with the motherboard is visible.

Unfortunatly, Microcool only made the Banchetto 101 for a couple of years and they are now almost impossible to find. I haven't seen anybody selling a new one for many years.

The Motherboard was only part of the problem.

To get the look I was going for I needed a glass corner platform so it looks sort of like it's floating in the corner.

I actually had to buy a glass shelf from the UK. Nobody in the US makes such a platform. Getting somebody to ship it to the US was expensive and a real hassle !!

Here are a couple links to Banchetto and the corner glass shelf.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/miba101clmoc.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-U.../dp/B006G0UF8A
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	banchetto 101.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	112673  

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Why do we pay so much for so little of a case? i have noticed open benches are in the $200AUD price range, i can get a complete case for less then that and they are selling me half a case.

looks good by the way.

R9 3900X - X570 Aorus Master - Gskill 16GB 3600Mhz - EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra - RM850I - 950 PRO - Lian Li Lancool II - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Zowie FK2 - CM Swift RX - ASUS PG27VQ - BenQ XL2430
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ownedj00 View Post
Why do we pay so much for so little of a case? i have noticed open benches are in the $200AUD price range, i can get a complete case for less then that and they are selling me half a case.

looks good by the way.
Thanks !

Not sure why open benches cost as much as they do.

I like the look of all the components ..... and, I started thinking instead of plexiglass panels to see the components, I'd just leave 'em out in the open.

And, then tried to find a way of doing that looked the best.

Turned out it is a LOT quieter than a closed case design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in