Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - * * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

View Single Post
post #94 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)

Quote:Originally Posted by Calibos 

Grilles can really increase the decibel level alright. Had a 200mm at the front of that Corsair 600T. Lots of owners cut out the mesh grille but I didn't want to do that. Instead I mounted the fan on stand off bolts putting 1cm between the fan and the grille. Ran a strip of plastic around the 1cm gap. Turbulence and noise problem solved without hacking the case.

Indeed.
Free space on both sides of fans makes a huge difference in noise .. be it the fan interacting with grill, HDD cage. filter, and etc. Generally speaking the less restrictive the grill and / or filter is, the quieter the airflow and fan will be. Silverstone and Puget Systems both have done good articles about grill noise and airflow.. Both are in my "Ways to Better Cooling" thread.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 06-24-2018 at 08:50 AM.