Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Various] Ashes of the Singularity DX12 Benchmarks

View Single Post
post #1210 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Forceman
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 794 (Unique: 514)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollock View Post

Personally, I think one could just as easily make the claim that we were biased toward Nvidia as the only 'vendor' specific code is for Nvidia where we had to shutdown async compute. By vendor specific, I mean a case where we look at the Vendor ID and make changes to our rendering path. Curiously, their driver reported this feature was functional but attempting to use it was an unmitigated disaster in terms of performance and conformance so we shut it down on their hardware. As far as I know, Maxwell doesn't really have Async Compute so I don't know why their driver was trying to expose that. The only other thing that is different between them is that Nvidia does fall into Tier 2 class binding hardware instead of Tier 3 like AMD which requires a little bit more CPU overhead in D3D12, but I don't think it ended up being very significant. This isn't a vendor specific path, as it's responding to capabilities the driver reports.

Wait, so all this analysis and conclusions about how async compute is going to make AMD's architecture the better one in the future, and this benchmark doesn't even use async compute on the Nvidia side?

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.