[Official] Phanteks PH-TC14PE News, Discussion and Owners thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] Phanteks PH-TC14PE News, Discussion and Owners thread

post #1 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 55)
Phanteks opened their cooling account with a bang, watching as their dual tower PH-TC14PE beat the Noctua D14 and Thermalright Silver arrow test after test, especially with good a hefty overclock applied (big OC FTW biggrin.gif). The Phanteks lead extends when tested in a case as the designers have informed me that these conditions are where the P.A.T.S technology activates and shows its potential to add to the heatsink's cooling muscle.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE Club

So here we have it, an early discussion thread as this is going to be a massive talking point for weeks to come with a scheduled release towards the end of September and RRP of £69.99 (MRSP $89.99) for the frosty white edition or £72.99 (MSRP $99.99) for the coloured editions.
attachment.php?attachmentid=226910&stc=1&d=1314876230

Any questions you have about the cooler, feel free to ask.If you own a Phanteks Product post a picture and we will add you to the Club

Phanteks Is now offering a Free PWM external adpt Free PWM Adapter (Click to show) Phanteks PH-TC14PE OWNERS! 39 members (Click to show)
AMD_Freak
lucas4
tw33k
Captain318
Theultimateeye
Trev0r269
Notoryus
suzuki
caffeinescandal
rdasch3
doyll
sundrou
Derrickb1974
jcamp6336
eftj
BarryBGB
Lobsterman
Airrick10
.theMetal
JRuxGaming
tonus
Jamar2013
baan
gregoire
tonus
catbuster
jassilamba
odd1
SR-71 Blackbird
JJTT
blue-cat
X-PREDATOR
jcamp6336
BKinn
mmarkovich
Samurai707
PredatorPie
Tenchuu
Roadsama
Phanteks Owners Banner (Click to show)
Code:
[CENTER][URL=https://www.overclock.net/t/1106307/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-news-discussion-and-owners-thread/0_100] Phanteks Owners Club[/URL][/CENTER]
Phanteks Reviews (Click to show)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 19)
Interesting new comer.

After reading those review web sites which all reviews were published almost at the same date wink.gif, the difference vs D14 and SA is exactly like D14 vs SA at many review sites, imo within margin of error among top performers.

Maybe we should wait more reviews to get better conclusion.

About the fan, why the heck they still making 3 wires fan which is considered obsolete for today pc cooling fan instead of pwm 4 wires fan, a disadvantage score from me. frown.gif
post #3 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing;14783503 
Interesting new comer.

After reading those review web sites which all reviews were published almost at the same date wink.gif, the difference vs D14 and SA is exactly like D14 vs SA at many review sites, imo within margin of error among top performers.

Maybe we should wait more reviews to get better conclusion.

About the fan, why the heck they still making 3 wires fan which is considered obsolete for today pc cooling fan instead of pwm 4 wires fan, a disadvantage score from me. frown.gif

yes, 4-pin PWM fans would have been a nice feature. The fans are quiet at full speed, but still, the ability to have the PWM controlled would be very useful. Hopefully Phanteks will rectify this 'mistake' in the future.

My views expressed here are my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
looks like i'm getting this instead of SA
post #5 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzjason;14783869 
looks like i'm getting this instead of SA

Both are very good coolers performance wise. It is clear to me which looks better tho biggrin.gif.

i like the way Phanteks make a big cooler (the D14 and SA are also big) but unlike the SA, it doesnt cause interference issues with the front fan and tall RAM. it was physically impossible to use my corsair dominator RAM with the SA because of the fan mounting method keeping the fan in a static position. With the Phanteks cooler, i was able to just place the fan clip higher up on the heatsink (same as the D14) for plenty of clearance.

price wise, the SA is cheaper, but i reckon that this Phanteks cooler will drop £5-10 within a few weeks of its launch thumb.gif

My views expressed here are my own.

post #6 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 22)
The Silver Arrow still represents the best value for money in my opinion, especially seeing this quote from Vortez:
Quote:
The Phanteks PH-TC14PE does not come cheap and this is perhaps its main downfall, albeit not a major one if supreme performance is what you are after. At 79.90Euros (£70) for the silver edition and 84.90Euros (£75) for the coloured variants, the Phanteks is one of the most expensive coolers currently on the market. Against the likes of Prolimatech’s Genesis (60Euros/£60), it represents good value since two quality fans are already bundled and even against the Noctua NH-D14 (72.90Euros/£65), the price difference is small. Certainly the extra premium warrants the performance benefits and aesthetics. However, once again Thermalright proves to be a worthy challenger with its Silver Arrow. At 49.90Euros/£50, it is a mere fraction of the Phanteks’ price whilst still delivering the majority of the performance. In terms of value for money, the Thermalright Silver Arrow remains untouched so it remains to be seen how Phanteks aim to tackle that. Nonetheless, the PH-TC14PE is still appropriately priced and with a 5 year warranty to back it up, you get what you pay for.

I think I'll stick to my SA for now or wait for more reviews.

post #7 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 57)
man i am torn between the red and orange/copper one.. cannot wait till they get here.
post #8 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002;14784077 
On the side note, I just bought a SA and haven't opened it yet! Would it be wise to just sell this brand new and buy this Phanteks? frown.gif When will the release date be?

Keep the SA if you change you might only get 1 degree C drop out of it. The release is around September I think.

I know (from the reviews I have read) the Phantek has beaten the two major coolers but not by a lot.

I think if you want cooler you will have to use other methods like water. It seems that heatsinks are at there best and can get any better with current technology, although I would like to be proved wrong.
post #9 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 182 (Unique: 152)
Anyways, I would say this is equal to the NH-D14 based on the Vortez test. I don't like the top plate but that's not something to drive somebody away when it performs so well.
post #10 of 2924 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore;14784374 
Anyways, I would say this is equal to the NH-D14 based on the Vortez test. I don't like the top plate but that's not something to drive somebody away when it performs so well.

When you say you don't like the top plate, are you basing it on "aesthetics"?

My Rig
(14 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW TridentZ Series
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS Drive)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
SeaSonic Platinum-760 (SS-760XP) Power Supply
Cooling
Custom Watercooling Loop
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Dell S2716DG Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 3
Mouse
Roccat Savu
Mousepad
Steelseries Qck
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in