Do anti-vibration pads/mounts make a difference? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Do anti-vibration pads/mounts make a difference?

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 84)
For example, do the rubbery "vibration compensators" or rubber screws supplied with Noctua and Nexus fans (and others) make a difference against traditional screws?

How about the anti-vibration pads supplied with coolers or integrated into fans versus allowing the fans to contact the heatsink?

Just wondering since when mounting the Thermalright TY-140s on my NH-C12P I tossed the anti-vibration pads that came with the heatsink and didn't notice a difference. I'm reasonably sure anti-vibration mounting would make a difference for hard drives but not so convinced about fans.

Maybe it also depends on orientation since my heatsink is mounted literally top-down (i.e. fan airflow is straight down) so gravity is having an effect in keeping the fan in place anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 92 (Unique: 82)
Depends on the softness of the rubber they're made of and the quality/ speed/ bearing of the fans used.
A low-quality high-speed ball bearing fan will vibrate more than a high-quality fan.

From the looks of it, those anti-virbation strips used on the noctua seem to be pretty much the same like the ones I had on my TR archon. They're pretty useless. Especially with a decent fan like the TY-140.

It's usually fans mounted to the case / side panels that benefit the most from sound dampening since they make the case vibrate. Cutting out the grills also helps lowering the noise.

Bottom line: soft rubber helps the most on fans mounted to the case that vibrate due to the bad bearings (ball bearings aren't always better, IIRC ball bearings can actually be worse than sleeve bearings at low speeds) and orientation of the fans (some bearings don't do well horizontally, usually sleeve bearings) .

Current OC: CPU - 4.8 Ghz @ 1.40Vcore / RAM 1600 8-8-8-24 1T @ 1.475 V -- I hate overclocking RAM ... mad.gif
Detailed OC settings: (Click to show)
BClk 100.0 / Multi 48x
Asus Multicore enhancement - Enabled
Internal PLL overvoltage - Enabled
Memory Frequency - 1600
EPU power saving - Disabled

Digi+ :
LLC - High
Voltage Frequency - Auto
VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
CPU Power Duty Control - T. Probe
CPU Current Capability - 110%
CPU Power Response Control - Regular

CPU voltage - Offset mode - +0.040
DRAM Voltage - 1.465
VccSA (System Agent) - 0.86250
VccIO (IMC basically) - 1.06875
PLL - 1.46875

Spread Spectrum - Disabled

Only C1E state enabled

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 84)
Thanks. I did use the Noctua rubber mounts for the TY-140 mounted to the case, so perhaps there would be a difference if I mounted it using screws since it's on a somewhat flimsy piece of plastic with some aluminum right up top.

I did have the suspicion that the strips heatsinks are supplied with are superfluous in most circumstances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in