Cooler Master Jetflo -- Anatomy of POM bearings (pictures) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Cooler Master Jetflo -- Anatomy of POM bearings (pictures)

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Rep: 1372 (Unique: 855)

Cleanup Shots 014.jpg

I received some Cooler Master Jetflo fans. They are advertised as having “Fourth Generation” bearings made of polyoxymethylene (POM, otherwise known as Delryn).

CM Jetflo - 1 003.jpg

The Jetflo POM bearing differs from the Sickle Flow X bearing I took apart previously. That one was essentially a sealed sleeve bearing, just like the original Sickle Flow bearing, but made with POM so it would last a long time. This . . . second generation . . . of the POM bearing (4th gen, Mark 2?) differs from that one. This one is supposedly water proof and dust proof. How is it made?

Here is Cooler Master’s drawing of the POM bearing, Mark 2. The orange represents POM. POM in its natural state is black:

jetflo-7.jpg

I took one apart to see what this bearing is made of. So let us start with the frame, and peel off the label. We can see a steel plug surrounded by what looks like a brass ring. It is actually a brass case, as we shall see later.

CM Jetflo - 2 010.jpg

I pounded on the steel plug with a punch and never pushed it through. I pried and pried until the blade-and-motor assembly finally pulled away from the frame. Since we can see that the plastic was more soft than rigid, I should have taken a heat gun to it. Ah, well. Next time.

CM Jetflo - 2 014.jpg

This shot shows where I pounded on the steel plug. No wonder I couldn’t pound it through. Look at those cleats! The picture also shows one very scuffed circuit board.

CM Jetflo - 2 015.jpg

Would the circuit board still work? I tried the fan, now that it was free of the frame. It wouldn’t spin, but it did light up.

CM Jetflo - 2 016.jpg

Now let us peel the Cooler Master label off the fan head. The blade disk (the blades are part of it) is a translucent plastic.

CM Jetflo - 2 018.jpg

The blade disk did pull off.

CM Jetflo - 2 021.jpg

And I was able to push the bearing out of the motor assembly.

CM Jetflo - 2 024.jpg

A closeup of the 4th generation bearing, Mark 2:

CM Jetflo - 2 026.jpg

I took my hacksaw and cut off the steel tip.

CM Jetflo - 2 028.jpg

Clearly the steel is just an insert in the brass casing.

CM Jetflo - 2 029.jpg

I reassembled the pieces so you can see how they relate:

CM Jetflo - 2 031.jpg

Another attack with the hacksaw, and the retaining disk comes away. The mushroom top of the shaft pops through the retaining disk, which -- um – retains the shaft in the bearing assembly.

CM Jetflo - 2 033.jpg

With the retaining disk off, the shaft comes out. Inside the brass case, the barrier ring faces us.

CM Jetflo - 2 034.tif

Pushing the contents out of the case, we see the POM bearing cylinder and the barrier ring:

CM Jetflo - 2 036.jpg

I have assembled the pieces of the bearing:

CM Jetflo - 2 038.jpg

The same picture, with the pieces numbered in the order they occur in the bearing:

1. The tip of the shaft that sticks into the plastic blade disk

2. The barrier ring and the part of the shaft that penetrates it.

3. The POM cylinder, the part of the shaft that penetrates it and the brass case.

4. The retaining disk and the end the shaft that penetrates it.

5. The end cap, with its steel plug.

CM Jetflo - 2 038a.png

The Cooler Master drawing again. The barrier ring is at the top, the retaining ring at the bottom:

jetflo-7.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed our little tour through the innards of the Cooler Master Jetflo. BTW – look at those rubber corners. They really do dampen vibration.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 819 (Unique: 550)
Not directly related:

Delryn smells when you try to machine it. That's what I remember about Delyrn besides it being stiff like ABS plastic tongue.gif

Thanks for the overview EHume , will we be seeing noise comparisons since you broke the fan tongue.gif

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Not directly related:

Delryn smells when you try to machine it. That's what I remember about Delyrn besides it being stiff like ABS plastic tongue.gif

Thanks for the overview EHume , will we be seeing noise comparisons since you broke the fan tongue.gif

Yes, but at Overclockers. I will post the link when I'm done and it is published.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 AM
r/madlads

Rep: 273 (Unique: 219)
I'm interested in the noise ratings. I've always always mocked CM fans for being very way off listed specs, this being the new baby in the lineup i hope it might change ... Maybe not. (And now their most expensive fan)

*Jon is watching!*

I wish rigbuilder could make a comeback and honestly I'm not a fan of VB
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
Thanks ehume.
Nice bit of work. thumb.gif

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Not directly related:

AlphaC - were you successful when you machined Delryn?

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 819 (Unique: 550)
It's been a while.

I was making a roller (or was it a bushing?) for a robotic mechanism and it was put on lathe to make the roller smaller. It has an acidic smell (maybe because of the acetal component) if I recall correctly.

It cuts like butter and machines really smooth. The big problem is the smell (possibly toxic?) due to low melting point.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 425 (Unique: 330)
Are these fans worth it? I nearly bought some for this build, but stuck with the good Ole sickleflows that are so cheap.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Are these fans worth it? I nearly bought some for this build, but stuck with the good Ole sickleflows that are so cheap.

These fans outperform their specs. Even pulling behind a dust filter the Jetflo pushes out 95 CFM. And they speed up behind the filter. They are strong fans.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

These fans outperform their specs. Even pulling behind a dust filter the Jetflo pushes out 95 CFM. And they speed up behind the filter. They are strong fans.

How loud are they?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in