Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power - Page 89 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #881 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Fix it till its broke
 
Owterspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 313
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Give it a spin see what happens.. worst case you have to spin it back.

3770K @ 4600MHz 1.315v/Le Grand Macho RT/TY-143/TF8
Asus P8Z77-V/12GB G.Skill Mix @ 1866MHz 9-10-9-24 2T 1.6v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1480/2000MHz 1.212v
Intel 545S 256 @ Raid 0, WD 1TB Black, Toshiba 1TB
Fractal Design Meshify C TG/CM Silent Pro M2 850
Owterspace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #882 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
eBombzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,346
Rep: 42 (Unique: 38)
Thanks for the help! It fits with quite a large amount of space (just less than 2cm by my ruler).

One question: when screwing the metal plate onto the mounting bracket after placing the heatsink, are you supposed to close the gap between them? Here is what I'm talking about:

There is quite a large gap and I didn't want to put too much pressure on the CPU so I left a small gap even though I could screw it in more.

Anyways I very much like the cooler. Was a little daunting to install at first because of all the pieces but it was pretty straightforward after reading the directions. Definitely easier than the 212 Evo. It's a little unfortunate that the 7nm bottlenecks the temps at times. I ran P95 torture and got up to 77 C at some point (it came back down pretty quickly) but I touched the heatsink and it wasn't even warm. But that's p95. I average around 50-65 C during CPU intensive games (after OC'ing IF to 1800) so I'm pretty happy with that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2275.png
Views:	27
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	299486  


Last edited by eBombzor; 10-05-2019 at 12:23 AM.
eBombzor is offline  
post #883 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 25,651
Rep: 1663 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by eBombzor View Post
Thanks for the help! It fits with quite a large amount of space (just less than 2cm by my ruler).

One question: when screwing the metal plate onto the mounting bracket after placing the heatsink, are you supposed to close the gap between them? Here is what I'm talking about:

There is quite a large gap and I didn't want to put too much pressure on the CPU so I left a small gap even though I could screw it in more.

Anyways I very much like the cooler. Was a little daunting to install at first because of all the pieces but it was pretty straightforward after reading the directions. Definitely easier than the 212 Evo. It's a little unfortunate that the 7nm bottlenecks the temps at times. I ran P95 torture and got up to 77 C at some point (it came back down pretty quickly) but I touched the heatsink and it wasn't even warm. But that's p95. I average around 50-65 C during CPU intensive games (after OC'ing IF to 1800) so I'm pretty happy with that
All screws are tighten. Screws holding backing plate on back of motherboard with spacers through botherboard into barrel nuts (screw nut in instructions), screws attaching anchor mount to screw nuts, and screws holding crossbar to attaching anchor mount are all tight.

Heatpipe coolers never get hot, only warm up a little. The hottest place is inside heatpipes in base where liquid boils / expands into gas and moves away from base toward ends of heatpipes. As this vapor moves up into fins it starts cooling / contracting / condensing on the wicking material on inside of heatpipe where this liquid is cooled even more and moves back to cooler base where it starts the boiling / expanding cycle all over again. If the heatpipes and/or fins were to get hot anywhere but the base the heat transfer cycle would not work as it is designed to.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #884 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
D-EJ915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
From mounting and remounting mine like 20 times on my 2066 and 2011 sockets it doesn't make much of any difference to screw it in all the way vs leaving a gap as far as performance is concerned. As long as the screw threading is all the way through the plate you will be fine. If you whack it maybe screw may be more likely to break due to bending as well as lateral load but generally screws snap anywhere and everywhere lol. As long as temps are okay I wouldn't worry about it if you feel like you don't want to screw all the way in, it does get really tight lol.

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
D-EJ915 is offline  
post #885 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 25,651
Rep: 1663 (Unique: 926)
Quote: Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
From mounting and remounting mine like 20 times on my 2066 and 2011 sockets it doesn't make much of any difference to screw it in all the way vs leaving a gap as far as performance is concerned. As long as the screw threading is all the way through the plate you will be fine. If you whack it maybe screw may be more likely to break due to bending as well as lateral load but generally screws snap anywhere and everywhere lol. As long as temps are okay I wouldn't worry about it if you feel like you don't want to screw all the way in, it does get really tight lol.
Cooler mounts are designed for screws to be tightened up so there is no space between mounting components .. and that is the way I suggest everyone uses them.

Mounting a cooler with the screws not drawing up all the slack between mounting components results in less base pressure onto CPU IHS, and this almost always results is warmer temperatures.

If motherboard is in vertical orientation l(ike in tower cases) not tightening the screws all the way can result in cooler angling down with upper edge of seat not as tight as lower .. and this will definitely case higher temps.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #886 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Smanci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,693
Rep: 75 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Cooler mounts are designed for screws to be tightened up so there is no space between mounting components .. and that is the way I suggest everyone uses them.

Mounting a cooler with the screws not drawing up all the slack between mounting components results in less base pressure onto CPU IHS, and this almost always results is warmer temperatures.

If motherboard is in vertical orientation l(ike in tower cases) not tightening the screws all the way can result in cooler angling down with upper edge of seat not as tight as lower .. and this will definitely case higher temps.
Regardless of the mounting mechanism, coolers should be installed using the least amount of pressure possible to achieve proper contact and by avoiding overtightening. Borderline dangerous advice even if not installing on bare die.

Smanci is offline  
post #887 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Fix it till its broke
 
Owterspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 313
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I disagree.

3770K @ 4600MHz 1.315v/Le Grand Macho RT/TY-143/TF8
Asus P8Z77-V/12GB G.Skill Mix @ 1866MHz 9-10-9-24 2T 1.6v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1480/2000MHz 1.212v
Intel 545S 256 @ Raid 0, WD 1TB Black, Toshiba 1TB
Fractal Design Meshify C TG/CM Silent Pro M2 850
Owterspace is offline  
post #888 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM
⤷ αC
 
AlphaC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,185
Rep: 908 (Unique: 590)
The reason why Scythe's Fuma version 1 had better temps than other coolers of similar design was mounting pressure.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list


AlphaC is offline  
post #889 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
D-EJ915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 186
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
These days with IHS we usually don't get broken dies from heatsink mounting pressure, that used to be extremely common when they switched from socket to flip chip.

Kanna
(13 items)
Dark X299
(7 items)
Mitty
(11 items)
CPU
Intel i7-7820X
Motherboard
Asrock X299 OC Formula
GPU
Asus Strix 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR C14 3200MHz XMP 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Intel P3520 NVMe PCIE AIC 1.2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250 1250 Watt PSU
Cooling
NZXT Kraken 62
Case
NZXT S340
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Asus PA329Q 32" 4k 60Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Mouse
Logitech G600
Audio
HDMI to my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamplifier and studio monitors.
CPU
Intel i9-9900X
Motherboard
EVGA X299 Dark
GPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 4x8GB C14 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung Pro 840 250 GB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G3 1300
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
CPU
Intel i7-3930k
Motherboard
Asrock Fatal1ty X79 Champion
GPU
EVGA GTX 780 Ti
RAM
Mushkin Redline
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Optical Drive
Asus DVD±RW
Power Supply
Seasonic X-1250
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Case
Fractal ARC MIDI
Operating System
Windows 7 Pro x64
Audio
Asus Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
D-EJ915 is offline  
post #890 of 921 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Fix it till its broke
 
Owterspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 313
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I haven't busted a core since s462 with a Tbred 2600. I crunched that core a few times before it stopped posting.

3770K @ 4600MHz 1.315v/Le Grand Macho RT/TY-143/TF8
Asus P8Z77-V/12GB G.Skill Mix @ 1866MHz 9-10-9-24 2T 1.6v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1480/2000MHz 1.212v
Intel 545S 256 @ Raid 0, WD 1TB Black, Toshiba 1TB
Fractal Design Meshify C TG/CM Silent Pro M2 850
Owterspace is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off