* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..* - Page 149 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

post #1481 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post
Been reading this thread for a while now. A lot of good info here, for which I want to thank you all (esp. doyll).

Want to ask one thing: is there any info or consensus on MSI Torx fans? It has 500-1,800 RPM, with airflow ranging between 19.79-71.27 CFM with other info being hard to come by. It sure does a decent job in a MSI Core Frozr L cooler, but I can't tell whether or not it's going to make a good case fan.

It's just that Silent Wings 3 and Noctua fans are quite expensive while Phanteks, Thermalright, Noiseblocker and Gentle Typhoon fans are just not available in my country at all.

Also would like to know if newer Arctic Bionix P140, P140, F120 and P120 fans are worthy successors to P14 and P12 series. Arctic claims new P-series to be optimised for static pressure with 2.85 mm H2O (@1.950 RPM) for 140mm model and 2.75 mm H2O (@2.100 RPM) for 120mm model. New 120/140 dseries are 2/3 of a price of say Silent Wings 3(Noctuas are even more expensive), so I'm wondering which option makes more sense.

I'm currently using two Noctua NF-P14s redux PWM as front intakes at ~900 RPM(sadly one of them is blowing mostly into a PSU cover) and wondering whether or not I should even bother upgrading them at all. Temps are good but I'm planning a CPU upgrade down the line.

Would appreciate any input.
Glad you found some posts helpful. I try.

What case are you using?

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1482 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Glad you found some posts helpful. I try.
Oh man, your posts are like a goldmine on this topic. You're doing a great job!

What case are you using?
My current is Aerocool Aero 800 set up like this:
Spoiler!

Front magnetic filter is removed, only the case front mesh is obstructing the intake, besides the PSU cover absorbing most of what the lower fan supplies.

I'm soon moving my setup into Corsair Carbide 270R, it has more front intake obstruction but better fan positioning - I'll fit 2*140 or 2*140+1*120 if they all fit.

P.S. I've found Phanteks PH-F120/140MP on AliExpress. Would they be a better choice than locally available fans I've mentioned before? They are priced at Arctic Bionix P140 level. On Phanteks site they are rated at a 1.72/1.62 mm H2O static pressure.

Last edited by Mungojerrie; 04-21-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #1483 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Spoiler!

Front magnetic filter is removed, only the case front mesh is obstructing the intake, besides the PSU cover absorbing most of what the lower fan supplies.

I'm soon moving my setup into Corsair Carbide 270R, it has more front intake obstruction but better fan positioning - I'll fit 2*140 or 2*140+1*120 if they all fit.

P.S. I've found Phanteks PH-F120/140MP on AliExpress. Would they be a better choice than locally available fans I've mentioned before? They are priced at Arctic Bionix P140 level. On Phanteks site they are rated at a 1.72/1.62 mm H2O static pressure.

Your NF-P14 are not bad fans.

My suggestions:
  • First thing is test out your case airflow temps at different loads/speeds. 5th post this thread explains how.
  • I would remove all PCie back slot covers for more exhaust airflow area around GPU.The top and back exhaust are doing little if any help. Easy way to be sure is test and see what temps are with them running and with them unplugged. My guess is they are giving little to no lower temps but are making more noise.
  • I would use the stock magnetic filter on front intakes, and after testing and monitoring cooler intake air temps with NF-P14 we will have enough info to hopefully move forward to getting lower airflow temps if needed. Then if needed maybe change to a couple of the PH-F140MP fans. We want cooler intake air temp to only be a degree or 3 warmer than room air temp. They have high enough pressure rating to overcome the grill resistance and filter keeps things much cleaner.
Once we know what case airflow is doing we will be hopefully have a better idea of how to solve problems.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 04-22-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1484 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

To all TY-14x users, but especially doyll: can you tell me if these fans produce an annoying vrrjjj sound up close (5-10cm) no matter the RPM or am I the only unlucky one?

Here's my explanation:
I'm a Noctua D15 user in a Nanoxia DS1 case. I got the cooler used with no fans for half the price (practically it was new) but without the A15 fans. I bought 2x TY-140 fans (the original ones), but both of them produce a vrrjjj sound up close, no matter the position/orientation/rpm, which gets amplified by the case and transforms into a low humming sound from further away, this is noticeable especially at idle ~600rpm. This is mentioned in a single review:https://medium.com/@alexmoore/noctua...w-a5e4471e0cbc
Ok, ok, they mention the A14, but blade design/shape is the same as TY-14x.
I replaced these with some Noctua A12x25 fans and the humming is gone (I can provide a comparison between the 2 fans on the D15 if requested), I can now enjoy the chirping of my Enermax PSU, which has its days numbered.
I was thinking of buying some TY-147Bs, since 140mm fans have a cooling advantage on this particular cooler) but the sound of the fan blades was driving me crazy.
post #1485 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by zsarpi View Post
To all TY-14x users, but especially doyll: can you tell me if these fans produce an annoying vrrjjj sound up close (5-10cm) no matter the RPM or am I the only unlucky one?

Here's my explanation:
I'm a Noctua D15 user in a Nanoxia DS1 case. I got the cooler used with no fans for half the price (practically it was new) but without the A15 fans. I bought 2x TY-140 fans (the original ones), but both of them produce a vrrjjj sound up close, no matter the position/orientation/rpm, which gets amplified by the case and transforms into a low humming sound from further away, this is noticeable especially at idle ~600rpm. This is mentioned in a single review:https://medium.com/@alexmoore/noctua...w-a5e4471e0cbc
Ok, ok, they mention the A14, but blade design/shape is the same as TY-14x.
I replaced these with some Noctua A12x25 fans and the humming is gone (I can provide a comparison between the 2 fans on the D15 if requested), I can now enjoy the chirping of my Enermax PSU, which has its days numbered.
I was thinking of buying some TY-147Bs, since 140mm fans have a cooling advantage on this particular cooler) but the sound of the fan blades was driving me crazy.
Thanks for posting!

Sorry about your having side-noise with your TY-140 fans. I can't find any reference to TY-140 fans in your review link. Could you post section of review it is in?

I have found TY-140 like all other fans are quieter when spaced 10-20mm from cooler or vent.

NF-A12x25 are very good so no surprise that you are happy with them.

post #1486 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

My suggestions:
  • First thing is test out your case airflow temps at different loads/speeds. 5th post this thread explains how.
  • I would remove all PCie back slot covers for more exhaust airflow area around GPU.The top and back exhaust are doing little if any help. Easy way to be sure is test and see what temps are with them running and with them unplugged. My guess is they are giving little to no lower temps but are making more noise.
  • I would use the stock magnetic filter on front intakes, and after testing and monitoring cooler intake air temps with NF-P14 we will have enough info to hopefully move forward to getting lower airflow temps if needed. Then if needed maybe change to a couple of the PH-F140MP fans. We want cooler intake air temp to only be a degree or 3 warmer than room air temp. They have high enough pressure rating to overcome the grill resistance and filter keeps things much cleaner.
Once we know what case airflow is doing we will be hopefully have a better idea of how to solve problems.
Thanks for the advice! I'll consider removing at least on of the exhaust fans. Although I'm not entirely comfortable with removing PCIe covers(
Spoiler!
). Thankfully they are nicely perforated. And I'll put the front filter back as without it dust accumulates rather quickly.
Again, actual temperatures are not a problem at all as only the irrational desire to improve things drives me.
post #1487 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the advice! I'll consider removing at least on of the exhaust fans. Although I'm not entirely comfortable with removing PCIe covers(
Spoiler!
). Thankfully they are nicely perforated. And I'll put the front filter back as without it dust accumulates rather quickly.
Again, actual temperatures are not a problem at all as only the irrational desire to improve things drives me.
Removing PCI covers adds rear vent area thus more front to back airflow. Even punched vent grills are 60% or more restriction than no vent grill. I usually cut back and bottom vent grills out of my builds to lower airflow restriction, lower noise levels and improve airflow.

post #1488 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for posting!

Sorry about your having side-noise with your TY-140 fans. I can't find any reference to TY-140 fans in your review link. Could you post section of review it is in?

I have found TY-140 like all other fans are quieter when spaced 10-20mm from cooler or vent.

NF-A12x25 are very good so no surprise that you are happy with them.
There's no reference to the TY-140 itself, but to the A14, which has a similar blade design, hence the same conclusion.
My testing of the TY fans reached the same result: there's no motor noise, but propeller noise, which are then amplified by the case. I'm not talking about the sound the A14/A15 (or any other fan like the eLoop) does, when being used as pull fan (radiator, filter, whatever), but actual propeller/blade noise the TY fans make even in free air and low rpm.
I want to keep using the A12x25s ( extra bonus: the radiator/filter has very little effect on the tone of the sound in pull configs due to the blade shape) but being in the era of GPU boost clocks I was thinking of installing the D15 in vertical orientation to keep GPU temps as low as possible (even if sacrificing a few degrees on the CPU) to achieve a higher boost - but this is a future project of mine...the PSU has to go first, then the 7970....
The D15 clearly prefers 140mm fans, but I don't want to buy the TY-147Bs blindly..
post #1489 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

Spoiler!

My suggestions:
NOX (spanish brand) literally copied identically the case. While it might look like a decent case it completely sucks for GPU cooling.

The GPU fills in the second and third slot, because of the mobo placement and big graphic cards have little space between them and the PSU shroud, just like mATX cases, despite the case being 50x48cm.

The guy I'm failing to help, tried everything. The front fans dont push enough air bellow the GPU but it's enough to trap the hot air that comes from the side of the GPU and goes bellow, so the GPU recycles hot air so much, that it's better to place exhausts on top and rear, and just remove the front fans at all (he has an evga 1070 amp).

Either you modify/cut the PSU shroud, cut the drive cage and mount the storage on the walls+bottom of the case and tuck the wires behind the mobo, the best you can, either just buy another case.

The case from nox it's called nox hummer zx.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
post #1490 of 1511 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Spoiler!
I removed my pci-e covers and for me it improved gpu cooling a bit by 5C or more for me so don't be scared to remove it.

Gaming RIG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in