* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..* - Page 152 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

post #1511 of 1679 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
Indeed! Situations we are extremely unlikey to ever be using our meters in our computer .. only possible if testing mains power to PSU.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 05-22-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1512 of 1679 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello,

I'm looking to build a system with proper OC capabilities. I've never done it very seriously before, so I read your guides about airflow, and I have one question regarding the calculation of total cfm of a system : if I use a CPU cooler with two fans, do I have to add their individual airflow, or keep only one value since they're in line ?

Thanks for the guides, it's very interesting albeit overwhelming. ;D
post #1513 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Plumpm View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to build a system with proper OC capabilities. I've never done it very seriously before, so I read your guides about airflow, and I have one question regarding the calculation of total cfm of a system : if I use a CPU cooler with two fans, do I have to add their individual airflow, or keep only one value since they're in line ?

I understand how it can be overwhelming, even with trying to simplify it as much as possible. With all the variables involved airflow is definitely not a simple science to apply to our uses. Compound that with how bad fan performance specs are and it can be a nightmare.

Two fans one behind the other is one fan of airflow. Stacking increases their static pressure rating but not the airflow rating.

I need to edit my case airflow guide. Many cases have very restrictive venting that case intake fans need to be very high pressure rated, often need 2x for every 1x component fan of similar size, and often need to spin from half speed to full speed to supply component under load with enough cool air.

What cases are you looking at?

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 07-01-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1514 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Hello,

You can't just sum up things, because it depends on to many factors.

Get a mesh case + big air cooler. If it's spacious, even better, and if you don't want vague recomendations, let us know the hardware and conditions you have, and we will recommend you something.
post #1515 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Meep

Rep: 316 (Unique: 227)
Hello,

You can't add them, but while airflow does not increase, pressure does with 2 fans in line, and with increased pressure you lose less airflow to the restrictions like the heatsink.

The airflow that's marketed on the product page is the airflow with no restriction, you can't use it to determine airflow trough the heatsink anyway. I'd say the airflow of 2 fans if probably still less than one in open air.

Edit: welp, seems like this was already answered, should've refreshed the page first...
So unfortunately its impossible to determine the exact airflow trough the heatsink without actually testing it.
post #1516 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, thank you. It makes sense that the static pressure is the thing going up.

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
What cases are you looking at?
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
[...] let us know the hardware and conditions you have, and we will recommend you something.

Like some here I'm sure, I'm going to buy a Zen 2 processor. I can't know which one, waiting for the reviews. Eight cores look promising. For the GPU I don't know yet, the goal is gaming at 1440p at a high refresh rate. Performance-wise, RTX 2070 is tempting.

I chose the case, a Meshify C. The cooler I have is an NH-U12P SE2, but I plan on buying a different air cooler since I'll keep my current setup for something else. Maybe Noctua again, I do appreciate a proper client support. For extra fans worth using, I already have two NF-F12. So I'm looking to buy two or three more fans on top of that.

As I said Noctua is a good brand and I've had a good experience with them so far, but if I'm missing a great deal for cooling, please tell me !

Oh and I live in France, ambient temps rarely go over 25°C.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Plumpm; 07-01-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #1517 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

I have the same case, and my ambient temp is bellow 25°C aswell.

Already tested many things in this case, so i can save you some time.

Best fan config. for performance/noise is 3 intake and no exhausts (a rear fan can be beneficial at very high loads but even then, the temp drop is about 2-4°C (depends on your maximum temps)). The case only supports officially 3x120 in the front. I have 2x140+1x120mm (the 120mm is on the low side of the front and zip tied).

Don't run excessively high the mid fan, it will have an impact on the CPU, but it will behave weird on the GPU. On one side you force more air, to the GPU, and on the other hand you force it to recycle heated air.

Remove the pci-e brackets from the back of the case, tuck the cables behind the mobo the best you can don't leave them down, and remove the top of the PSU shroud. I have removed the drive cage aswell.
Don't mount anything on the 2.5" slots behind the socket. They will unnecessarily get 15-20°C temp increase.

I'm using the bottom for for installing the storage. There's no official support for it, but all the bottom is perforated, so it's pretty easy to mount 2 drives there. It's the best option for the case airflow and for the storage temps.

I would get the le grand macho RT since it's a perfect match for the case ( I'll probably get it, when I'll do a CPU upgrade) and if you go for 3x120 in the front, just add another f12. If you wanna copy my front setup, don't get nf a14's. Get sw3. (had both of them)

Last edited by Shenhua; 07-01-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #1518 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for all the tips, I'll keep them in mind. When you say to not install anything behind the socket, are you talking about the blue "plate" in the attached image ? Does it really add 15°C on the CPU ? That's crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeshC.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	277358  

post #1519 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for all the tips, I'll keep them in mind. When you say to not install anything behind the socket, are you talking about the blue "plate" in the attached image ? Does it really add 15°C on the CPU ? That's crazy.
Yep.

Edited. Not to the CPU, to the drives. CPU doesn't care much, but my SSD from the usual 40s, behind the mobo, was staying between 55 and 60 depending on the ambient temp.

Last edited by Shenhua; 07-02-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #1520 of 1679 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It's not uncommon to se much higher temps when CPU hole in case is blocked because it usually allows some airflow between motherboard and mounting panel with air moving through the CPU access hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in