* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..* - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

* * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #81 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
cephelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Singapore,Singapore
Posts: 2,278
Rep: 62 (Unique: 47)
Well,an update to my situation. I finally zip-tied a 120mm fan (AP-121L) to the unused pcie slots under my gpu. Must say,it barely fits and i would need to put some padding between the fan and the board. Of significant interest is that it brought my gpu core temps under control. With ambients at 26C(air conditioned room) my gpu temps at stock(core clock 977MHz, memory clock 1250MHz), i used to get 77C core temps on load with case temps getting up to 31C quite fast but with my patented airflow system(lol) i can finally OC my gpu(core clock 1100MHz, core voltage +44 in AB) and i still get the same load temps with case temps taking alot longer to reach 30C. Apparently it seems that my gpu has been recycling it's own exhausted air which causes a fast increase in temps.

Do you think i'd get any better temps by switching to a better fan?looking at the noctua ippc unless i start ordering from overseas. And if so, any suggestions for fans??

Elevated
(22 items)
CPU
i7 4790K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
GPU
MSI Vega 56
RAM
Kingston Low Voltage Value Ram
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 480GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Cooling
Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoons 1850rpm x 8
Cooling
Alphacool Nexxos XT45 360mm
Cooling
Alphacool Monsta 240mm
Cooling
EK Radeon Vega Acetal+Copper Full Cover
Cooling
EK XTop D5 PWM Revo
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Philips 240B1CB 1920 x 1200
Monitor
Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 1920 x 1200
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL
Mouse
Zowie FK-1
Mouse
Barracuda Juggernaut
Audio
Corsair H2100 Wireless Headset
Other
NZXT Sentry 3
▲ hide details ▲
cephelix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PSILVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
Hi, my first post, i have a LianLi PC7 Plus Se2 case with 5 fans (2 front+1 side+1 rear+1 top) controled by a Zalman MCF1 Plus.
The fans are 1 Noctua NF-P12 and 4 Noiseblocker M12-3.

I have 2 front+side intake and rear+top exhaust

Is this the correct distribution?

I have a i5-4690k with a Noctua NH-12u se2 cooler and i want oc de cpu to 4.4 or 4.6.

Thanks

PSILVA is online now  
post #83 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 24,937
Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
Should be okay. As long as your temps are good. If not, you might be able to use your 5.25" front bays as another intake. This would flow cool air directly to your CPU cooler.


How Heatpipes Work

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #84 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PSILVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Should be okay. As long as your temps are good. If not, you might be able to use your 5.25" front bays as another intake. This would flow cool air directly to your CPU cooler.

That is what I did because this case originally only brought one fan in front:thumb:

PSILVA is online now  
post #85 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 24,937
Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSILVA View Post

That is what I did because this case originally only brought one fan in front:thumb:
Have you tried removing the PCIe back slot covers to see if that helps flow air from front to back? I often use an incense stick to see if a vent is drawing air in or pushing air out. wink.gif

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #86 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PSILVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 28
Rep: 0
I bought the ventilated pci black slots from Lian Li.

I think I can not improve more just changing for better box but for now I get this and see how they run temperatures.

Thanks for the help.

PSILVA is online now  
post #87 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
doyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 24,937
Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSILVA View Post

I bought the ventilated pci black slots from Lian Li.

I think I can not improve more just changing for better box but for now I get this and see how they run temperatures.

Thanks for the help.
Vented PCI covers will flow half the air the opening flow with no covers. wink.gif

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
doyll is offline  
post #88 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
lmarklar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 548
Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
I vote sticky for this thread! Amazing compilation of data.

lmarklar is offline  
post #89 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
Calibos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 386
Rep: 28 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephelix View Post

Well,an update to my situation. I finally zip-tied a 120mm fan (AP-121L) to the unused pcie slots under my gpu. Must say,it barely fits and i would need to put some padding between the fan and the board. Of significant interest is that it brought my gpu core temps under control. With ambients at 26C(air conditioned room) my gpu temps at stock(core clock 977MHz, memory clock 1250MHz), i used to get 77C core temps on load with case temps getting up to 31C quite fast but with my patented airflow system(lol) i can finally OC my gpu(core clock 1100MHz, core voltage +44 in AB) and i still get the same load temps with case temps taking alot longer to reach 30C. Apparently it seems that my gpu has been recycling it's own exhausted air which causes a fast increase in temps.

Do you think i'd get any better temps by switching to a better fan?looking at the noctua ippc unless i start ordering from overseas. And if so, any suggestions for fans??

I'm sorry but I patented the PCI slot fan idea back in late 2011. You now owe me substantial royalties wink.gif

https://www.overclock.net/t/1550235/graphics-cards-way-too-hot-even-with-7-case-fans/10#post_23775920

.
Calibos is offline  
post #90 of 1479 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
cephelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Singapore,Singapore
Posts: 2,278
Rep: 62 (Unique: 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post

I'm sorry but I patented the PCI slot fan idea back in late 2011. You now owe me substantial royalties wink.gif

https://www.overclock.net/t/1550235/graphics-cards-way-too-hot-even-with-7-case-fans/10#post_23775920
Hahaha....then kudos to you sir...in 2011 i was still using an i5 750 in an nzxt tempest evo case and haven't discovered OCN yet biggrin.gif

Edit:actually looking at the thread, i got the idea from you!!lol...i didnt believe it at first but i thought what the heck,since then i've swapped out the silverstone fan with a gentle typhoon 1850rpm one and my temps dropped further.now with 26C ambients,load temps are around 70C max

Elevated
(22 items)
CPU
i7 4790K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
GPU
MSI Vega 56
RAM
Kingston Low Voltage Value Ram
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 480GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Cooling
Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoons 1850rpm x 8
Cooling
Alphacool Nexxos XT45 360mm
Cooling
Alphacool Monsta 240mm
Cooling
EK Radeon Vega Acetal+Copper Full Cover
Cooling
EK XTop D5 PWM Revo
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Philips 240B1CB 1920 x 1200
Monitor
Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 1920 x 1200
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL
Mouse
Zowie FK-1
Mouse
Barracuda Juggernaut
Audio
Corsair H2100 Wireless Headset
Other
NZXT Sentry 3
▲ hide details ▲
cephelix is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off