Would a big CPU heatsink distort the motherboard? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Would a big CPU heatsink distort the motherboard?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I am considering buying a big CPU heatsink for a budget build I am making and I found some of them that weigh almost 1kg. So I started wondering whether something that heavy hanging from my motherboard would cause any distortions. You know, like how heavy graphics cards may cause "motherboard sag" and all that. If anyone out there has experience with big, tower heatsinks, have you ever noticed any bending of the motherboard or anything like that?

Thank you for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1678 (Unique: 932)
No, big heavy coolers do not hurt motherboards. The only times we damage is when something extreme happens, like being dropped, knocked off of desk, etc.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 PM
VROOM VROOM

Rep: 380 (Unique: 328)
A big heavy cooler can and almost will always bend the board, however as to if it will damage the board, not likely unless it has a really crappy mount.
As long as it has a nice backplate, it should be fine.
A PCB can bend a lot without being damaged.

EDIT: If you are concerned about the weight on the board, my recommendation would be to go with an all in one liquid cooler, as that will put very little weight on the motherboard.

Something like a coolermaster or corsair cooler will work nicely and provide very good performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

When a motherboard is mounted properly and cooler is too, I do not believe the motherboard is distorted. The traces cannot take much movement without being broken.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
VROOM VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

When a motherboard is mounted properly and cooler is too, I do not believe the motherboard is distorted. The traces cannot take much movement without being broken.

I can show you a picture of my old DFI motherboard that was bent from the pressure of my old waterblock mount.
It runs just fine.

A PCB can bend a lot without hurting anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 424 (Unique: 300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post

I can show you a picture of my old DFI motherboard that was bent from the pressure of my old waterblock mount.
It runs just fine.

A PCB can bend a lot without hurting anything.

mounting pressure of the cooler has NOTHING to do with the weight of the cooler smile.gif the weight of the cooler is less then 2 pounds... the mounting pressure of the cooler can be upwards of 50 pounds biggrin.gif

will a mobo deform under 50 pounds of pressure? yes. would a mobo deform under 2 pounds of weight? not a chance in hell biggrin.gif
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM
VROOM VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

mounting pressure of the cooler has NOTHING to do with the weight of the cooler smile.gif the weight of the cooler is less then 2 pounds... the mounting pressure of the cooler can be upwards of 50 pounds biggrin.gif

will a mobo deform under 50 pounds of pressure? yes. would a mobo deform under 2 pounds of weight? not a chance in hell biggrin.gif

I wasn't saying that the cooler itself is going to cause a bend, I was mearly pointing out that under extreme forces, boards can bend without issue.
However a heavy cooler can still cause the board to bend a small amount, but it doesn't matter because it won't hurt anything.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Good mounts don't "bend" the motherboard. wink.gif
And if motherboard is mounted into case properly there is little to no bending / flexing it involved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in