Negative Pressure Rig With NO Case Fans! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Negative Pressure Rig With NO Case Fans!

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Rep: 1372 (Unique: 855)

My long-suffering Beta Evo! It was the first case I modded. I cut out grills. I cut a new bottom hole for a fan. So now I was running a Megahalems with two Yate Loon D12SH-12's. But case fans? Well, two were installed but I left them unplugged. What you will see is a negative pressure rig using NO case fans.

Here it is:

Beta Evo - modded

Notice - no rear or top grills - and no rear or top fans. I've left the slot covers off the rear slots. You can see that side-mounted 500 rpm Kaze Maru is standing still. The blue light at the bottom means the machine is on. You can see the heatsink pull fan is spinning.

From the front, top down:

Top view of Beta Evo

See the push fan is spinning. Another Yate Loon D12SH-12. You can also see the pull fan and the open space behind it.

Next, the front - down low:

Front view, GT unplugged

In the light of LED's you can see the 800 rpm Gentle Typhoon - unplugged. The LED light means the rig is running. The old i7 860 was actually running at 4004MHz, doing OCCT/Linpack as this picture was taken.

Now, I could feel air pulling in at every orifice but one (the rear exhaust portal). Air was pulled in through the Kaze Maru, through the Gentle Typhoon, through the top holes, through the grill next to the Megahalems, through the PCIE slots. Want proof? Here it is:

Side view tissue

That's right - the heatsink fans, running alone with all orifices open, made a piece of Kleenex stand up. But maybe it was just a trick. How's this?

Tissue Up

Yup. Held up by negative pressure alone.

I thought about actually removing all of the case fans and running this with cpu heatsink fans only. Considering how very many holes there are in this case and how big they are, it's a wonder there is any appreciable negative pressure at any influx spot. I was so amazed I just had to share it.

Note: this thread was originally posted in 2010. The images were hosted elsewhere. Luckily, I still have them. So I have reposted this thread. Now the images are hosted in my Gallery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 118)
Great post! Thanks for bringing it back. And clever to use the kleenex as spontaneous dust filters. biggrin.gif

That's the only issue with negative pressure cases...attracts the dust fairies and all their hangers-on. Or was the world that much cleaner back in 2010? ;-)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 22)
This is actually a revival of an old cooling scheme. In the late 90's, Dell Dimension XPS computers had no case fans. I had one of these. All they had was one CPU fan that was enclosed by a plastic shroud that attached to the back of the case. The fan blew air across the CPU heatsink and the warm air was ducted out the back of the case, creating negative pressure. The system was lousy because Dell used super-cheap crappy heatsinks and didn't explain that the duct collected dust like crazy and needed regular disassembly and cleaning. Anyone who buys a pre-built computer is not the type of person who wants to be disassembling their computer on a regular basis. That's more for the hobbyist market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
Glad to see this bit of testing back! thumb.gif

Do you still have this system?

I do have to wonder if the open top vents are making any difference. I'm guessing they could be closed off with little or no change is flow.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

Sorry to take so long to respond. I forgot to subscribe -- I thought subscribing was automatic for the OP.

This was simply an experiment. I wanted to see, then I wanted to demonstrate what a case would do with no external fannage. It was shocking to get so much suction when so many widows were open in the case.

When this system was my primary, it was a pure positive pressure case. I think if you click on my avatar you can see a diagram of the airflow. Front and sides had intake fans. Up top, I ended up blocking to rearward window. The forward top window had a Thermalright TY-140 on intake. It was designed to feed my heatsink air directly from the outside. 

It went under a shelf, so the blocking plate could be kludgy-looking because no one would see it. Here's how it looked from above:

d07e8ead_Hotrod_Take_2_From_the_Top.png

Here's how it looked from underneath:

My rig

Note that I changed heatsinks. I wanted the Megahalems for test fans and things. Note also how I kludge-mounted my HD's in those days. Since then, I have changed cases twice. This case sat around for a few years. I finally stripped out all the interesting hardware and sent the carcass to the recycler.

In one way this differed from the Dell. I had those. They cooled the CPU, and that was all. Here, the pull fan on the heatsink sucks air through the case by entraining the air in it. This aids the intake fans.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 160 (Unique: 125)
blast from the past thumb.gif

You know what they call a case with no intake/exhaust fans? A Test Bench. Just cut off all the other metal stuff of the case you dont need smile.gif

Reality is futile, you will be assimilated by (your) perception.

Golden Rule(s) for Fans: CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE ▼ CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT ▼ SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP
+Most SILENT Case Fans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators
+Most SILENT Case Fans are not well suited for cases, especially if they have filters. (added by doyll on 23/04/2014)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 831 (Unique: 555)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

blast from the past thumb.gif

You know what they call a case with no intake/exhaust fans? A Test Bench. Just cut off all the other metal stuff of the case you dont need smile.gif

The reason why you have a case is for EMI shielding , minimizing dust, and for a bit of noise isolation

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Reviewer

These days I have a test bench. Here it was before:

ATCS motherboard tray, used for testbed

Here it is at work:

ATCS motherboard tray, used for testbed -- in action

The case with the open windows had fans in them, kept my rig cool for years as my primary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in