Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC - Disassembly & An Inside Look - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC - Disassembly & An Inside Look

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5
Fan: Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC 3000 PWM
I have seen NO posts regarding how to disassemble the more recent Noctua fans, so I decided to take one apart myself. This is a brand new fan, just taken out of the box.

I saw the Linus Tech Tips review of these and decided to buy some for my computer. Starting from the back, a metal sticker covers the brass bearing shell.

At this point, it became obvious why these fans are considered to be so difficult to disassemble. No user-friendly plastic clips. ARGH. I resorted to the push-out method, yielding good results. This involves putting your fingers through the back (sticker side) of the fan and pushing the impeller out. I levered my fingers against the center of the frame to avoid breaking it.

That wasn't too bad, no damage whatsoever.

YAY NOCTUA FAN DISASSEMBLED

The SS02 bearing. Apparently it's RUINED now, but I have noticed NO differences between this and the other Noctua industrialPPC fans.
DISCLAIMER: I cannot guarantee that you will have no issues after reassembly, though mine works as good as new. It helps to press the fan back together with considerable force.

The Hepta-Perf impeller. Nice airfoil blade profile, but by far the simplest looking Noctua blade. Not complaining though, it works well.

Here's the frame.

The industrialPPC fans use a 3 phase motor, as is seen here, though I find no Hall-effect sensors. Must be on the other side of the board.

Perhaps it's sensorless, however that doesn't seem like the case, given the rpm feedback wire and the fact that Noctua seems like a high-quality manufacturer. You never know, though.

A close look at the inside of the frame reveals indents along the inner surface, as well as the stepped intake surfaces. The Silicone pads are removable, and you can buy black or colored ones for around $7 for a 16-pack. There is no way that I know of to recolor silicone, even paint and permanent marker bead up on it. I personally think they should ship these with black pads as default.

The back of the frame shows the 11 varying-angle vanes, which help to produce a more irregular white noise, as well as the vortex-control notches.

Time for reassembly.

I had to reorient the sticker to make it right-way-up in my case. OOPS

Overall, these fans seem VERY nice, and I would recommend the 3000rpm version over the others, since you can slow it down if you want to, and it costs the same as the other speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in