Is the Noctua NH-D15 still the king of cpu air coolers? (why is it still so good?) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Is the Noctua NH-D15 still the king of cpu air coolers? (why is it still so good?)

post #11 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:48 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 438 (Unique: 291)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolin View Post

It's good at keeping temps low but as i mentioned it's loud/noisy

The swiftech might be a bit more quiet,silnet but alot more expensive

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_hydro_series_h100i_review,9.html

If you are calling it a "bit", then you have obviously never been in the same room with both of them. The Swiftech also cools better. The price difference is completely washed out by your recommendation of adding $40 worth of fans to the H100i. The H220-X2 is $139 from authorized resellers (who buys WaCo on Amazon???????). Your $40 "upgrade" also completely downgrades the performance of the H100i (it uses cheap inefficient components, it was designed for extreme airflow.....because high speed fans are cheaper than good components). There is no "very good" about any of this. There is no "good" at all, unless you prioritize an RGB sailboat over cooling, which many seem to.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Eh, really a wash. The Silver Arrows typically need more airflow and noise than the D15 for similar performance. But, the TS 140 and Macho Zero outfitted with fans can get similar results.

Le Grand Macho and HR-22. Noticeably quieter at same performance.

post #13 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:

If you are calling it a "bit", then you have obviously never been in the same room with both of them. The Swiftech also cools better. The price difference is completely washed out by your recommendation of adding $40 worth of fans to the H100i. The H220-X2 is $139 from authorized resellers (who buys WaCo on Amazon???????). Your $40 "upgrade" also completely downgrades the performance of the H100i (it uses cheap inefficient components, it was designed for extreme airflow.....because high speed fans are cheaper than good components). There is no "very good" about any of this. There is no "good" at all, unless you prioritize an RGB sailboat over cooling, which many seem to.

I wrote atleast 20$ each if you want better fans on the corsair H100i, not that you have to buy better fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Thermalright heatsinks :wink:
Quote:

Care to menition them? Thermalright silwer arrow, Be quiet dark pro 3, Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Cyroig R1 Ultimate?

I don't have first hand experience with the Phanteks or the Cyrorig, but I've got a D15 a Silver Arrow and an Archon.

Silver Arrow is probably a little better with higher speed fans, but the D15 wins with quieter ones.

Always wanted to try the Phanteks but have never been able to justify the purchase given all the other coolers I have and the fact that the Phanteks wouldn't fit on the systems I have that would utilize it.
Quote:

Eh, really a wash. The Silver Arrows typically need more airflow and noise than the D15 for similar performance. But, the TS 140 and Macho Zero outfitted with fans can get similar results.

Macho Zero is another one I've wanted to try and it's actually narrow enough to fit on my X99 boards without interfering with the top PCI-E slot.
Quote:

The swiftech might be a bit more quiet,silnet but alot more expensive

I'm looking for something to replace my 280L (which cools ~250w loads better than I can get a D15 or Sliver Arrow to cool, even with the same stupid 65db fans...though this is partially because I have it mounted as the primary system intake), but which was always intended as a placeholder and that now has 15k hours on it and seems to be gradually losing coolant.

Since I'm not especially picky about peak noise levels (I'm ok with 60db+ at peak loads...mostly because I don't need to be in the room during peak loads), I've been considering the EK-XLC 280, but now that the price on that has shot back up past 200 dollars I'm probably going to grab the Swiftech H240 X2 for my primary system and if that's to my satisfaction I'll put a H320 X2 in my BW-E box.

I'd have gone with a custom loop from the start, but my primary system doesn't have clearance for a rad up top, and has limited space for the pump in the front which can only really hold a 280mm rad anyway...so a 280mm AIO was always decidedly more economical. I went with the Nepton CLC because it was half-off at the time and it's pump was widely regarded to be among the best available (important for cooling a hot running HW-E) in a CLC.

I should probably swap cases, but I like the R4 and moving all this crap (especially the IcyDock drive cage) is such a hassle.

6a5307ff_20161123_075814.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanci View Post

Le Grand Macho and HR-22. Noticeably quieter at same performance.

But can they move 250w of heat at an acceptable delta-T?

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #15 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have the phanteks cpu cooler and it's more noisy

grand mach can't cool efficient enought without a fan (also had that fan), thermal true spirit 140 is better
post #16 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

'm looking for something to replace my 280L (which cools ~250w loads better than I can get a D15 or Sliver Arrow to cool, even with the same stupid 65db fans...though this is partially because I have it mounted as the primary system intake), but which was always intended as a placeholder and that now has 15k hours on it and seems to be gradually losing coolant.

Since I'm not especially picky about peak noise levels (I'm ok with 60db+ at peak loads...mostly because I don't need to be in the room during peak loads), I've been considering the EK-XLC 280, but now that the price on that has shot back up past 200 dollars I'm probably going to grab the Swiftech H240 X2 for my primary system and if that's to my satisfaction I'll put a H320 X2 in my BW-E box.

I'd have gone with a custom loop from the start, but my primary system doesn't have clearance for a rad up top, and has limited space for the pump in the front which can only really hold a 280mm rad anyway...so a 280mm AIO was always decidedly more economical. I went with the Nepton CLC because it was half-off at the time and it's pump was widely regarded to be among the best available (important for cooling a hot running HW-E) in a CLC.

I should probably swap cases, but I like the R4 and moving all this crap (especially the IcyDock drive cage) is such a hassle.

Why don't you try different fans?
post #17 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 438 (Unique: 291)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I'm looking for something to replace my 280L (which cools ~250w loads better than I can get a D15 or Sliver Arrow to cool, even with the same stupid 65db fans...though this is partially because I have it mounted as the primary system intake), but which was always intended as a placeholder and that now has 15k hours on it and seems to be gradually losing coolant.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
6a5307ff_20161123_075814.jpeg
But can they move 250w of heat at an acceptable delta-T?

The 280L may be a tough one to replace in your circumstance. CM really did a nice job with the Nepton series in terms of using a pump that actually moves enough liquid, and using a better CPU block than the other CLCs. I would expect that you would get a boost from the H240-X2 since you would have a copper rad and higher flow, but.....the H240-X2 rad is also designed for lower airflow applications and doesn't scale as well as airflow is increased. The difference may wind up being pretty negligible if noise is not accounted for at all and you go with 60+ dB fans. I'm totally speculating here, since I haven't tested the H240-X2 with something like the EK Vardar F4 at 2500 rpm or the like.

Edit: I just noticed.....are those Corsair fans I see on the 280L? For God's sake, man, put the JetFlos back on! If noise isn't an issue, they should do a far better job of getting air through that rad. And, yes, the R4 is an awesome case.....but can be tough on cooling. I lived with higher temps because I loved the R4. Then I tested a couple of Phanteks cases and made the change simply because I wanted to go to to a custom loop from air.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #18 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote:

The 280L may be a tough one to replace in your circumstance. CM really did a nice job with the Nepton series in terms of using a pump that actually moves enough liquid, and using a better CPU block than the other CLCs. I would expect that you would get a boost from the H240-X2 since you would have a copper rad and higher flow, but.....the H240-X2 rad is also designed for lower airflow applications and doesn't scale as well as airflow is increased. The difference may wind up being pretty negligible if noise is not accounted for at all and you go with 60+ dB fans. I'm totally speculating here, since I haven't tested the H240-X2 with something like the EK Vardar F4 at 2500 rpm or the like.

Thanks for your insight.

I did notice that the Swiftech radiator has a lower fin count than the one on the Nepton 280L, so if raw surface area the limiting factor, it looks like I may well have to try to squeeze a new custom loop into my cash and space budget if I want to significantly improve upon the temps I'm getting currently.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #19 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1689 (Unique: 935)
Quote:

Care to menition them? Thermalright silwer arrow, Be quiet dark pro 3, Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Cyroig R1 Ultimate?
Those are some. Not so much Dark Rock Pro 3 because it focus on staying quiet rather than extreme cooling. R1 Universal has same cooling ability in cooler, but the thin fan lowers airflow so it becomes a little warmer.

TRUE Spirit 140 Power is right up with the best on high OC / high heat. On i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz it beat NH-14 and with 134cfm fan/s and it was 8.4-9.3c better at 2500rpm than at 1200rpm. But if you are going to run hi-performance fans on an air cooler you need to double case airflow to cooler too. If you don't the cooler has to make for it's increased airflwo by using it's on hot exhaust air

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #20 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Top kek

Rep: 118 (Unique: 71)
The cheapest DH15 is 100$ dollars here.
And i got my ThermalTake Frio Silent 14 for 35$. And gets the job done on a OC'ed Phenom II x6.

It all depends on what you need. And whats your budget.

Previous Hardware:
Spoiler!
Main rig
(16 items)
Parents (2nd) PC
(13 items)
CPU
AMD R7 1700
Motherboard
ASRock X570 Fatal1ty Gaming K4
GPU
Sapphire RX480 4GB Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Corsair ForceLS SSD
Hard Drive
250GB Maxtor SATA 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
250GB Seagate Baracuda SATA 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
500GB WesternDigital Blue 7200RPM 16MB
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 EVO
Case
Thermaltake View 27
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 1607
Monitor
AOC i2267FWH 21.5" 1080p IPS
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
A4 Tech Bloody v5
Audio
Corsair HS30 Raptor
CPU
AMD FX-8320
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU
XFX RX470 4GB SingleFan
RAM
Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 500GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
120GB Kingston SSD
Optical Drive
ASUS DVD+RW x52
Power Supply
Corsair VS650
Cooling
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14
Case
DeepCool Tesseract
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
Monitor
ASUS VS228H 21.5"
Keyboard
Logitech K120
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in