Why won't my new 140mm Arctic F14 TC fans start spinning? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Why won't my new 140mm Arctic F14 TC fans start spinning?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
I have the new AM4 Crosshair VI Hero board, and I have three Arctic F14 TC fans that won't start spinning.

What is going on here? What am I doing wrong?

These are temperature controlled, and is supposed to spin between 400 and 1350 rpm. Helping the fans spin by rotating the fan the correct way, doesn't help at all, so they aren't "stuck".

These are three pin fans btw, afaik they are not PWM fans.

I need help solving this mystery.

I have tried connecting the fans directly to the power supply but that won't help (starting the psu without connecting it to the mobo).
I've tried connecting one fan directly to the CHA2 fan socket on the mobo, and set fan control to full speed, and I think I've tried every other option.

This is the product page:
https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/arctic-f14-tc.html

If I test with some random 140mm fan, both the PSU and the mobo (in the same CHA2 fan socket) makes that fan spin (!)

It is my understanding that the F14 TC fan might be a new fan, but I would expect them to work. smile.gif And what would the odds be that all of the three fans are faulty?

Update: I tested a fan on my other computer, in a fan socket already in use, and yet, no movement on the fan, and not even if I help spin the blades.

"Ultra quiet TC Case Fan" my a$$ Lawl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 118)
Could be all 3 fans are defective. But, not likely. Probably your system ambient temp is just too cold!

According to AC the fan won't start below 35c

An easy test would be to warm up the thermal sensor in your hand while the fan is connected. But don't use an icy grip, you want hot little hands. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

Could be all 3 fans are defective. But, not likely. Probably your system ambient temp is just too cold!

According to AC the fan won't start below 35c

An easy test would be to warm up the thermal sensor in your hand while the fan is connected. But don't use an icy grip, you want hot little hands. biggrin.gif

Yea i'm seeing this as well, that is unbelievably weird. Id try to stick the sensors by your hard drive or something and see if it works. Never seen a design like this before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Yea i'm seeing this as well, that is unbelievably weird. Id try to stick the sensors by your hard drive or something and see if it works. Never seen a design like this before.

It's from their Zen Koan Silence Series: What is the sound of no blade spinning?

Seen them used for intake cooling with hot GPUs with the sensor mounted on the GPU card.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The packaging states that the rpm is 400-1350, not 0-1350. So weird.

I guess I should try use the temp sensor to see if the fans turns themselves on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@MicroCat

Where did you find this graph? Your graph sort of states 0-1350 rpm, which is odd.

Hm, oh, maybe I have misunderstood the graph on the packaging. Maybe it is 0-1350 rpm after all.

Haha and I contacted Arctic about his. biggrin.gif Maybe I am being dumb here.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update: Ok, seems like one of the three fans started spinning up, after I moved the temp sensors up above the cpu (fastened with bluetack).

smile.gif

The three sensors are sort of bundled together, however only one fan is spinning atm. At least, some progress. smile.gif

Update2: Ah, silly me, the other two fans aren't connected. smile.gif Have been fiddling a lot with the fans today.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Nice! All three fans are now working. Thanks guys!

Also, my Ryzen ram is running 3200MHz with the 32 multiplier at 14-14-14-34. smile.gif

A nice end to this evening.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Congrats! All's well that spins well. Good news on the RAM settings too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Retired Reviewer

Rep: 1373 (Unique: 856)

Just so you'll know -- most motherboards send out a fan speed control for PWM fans that plug into their CPU headers. You don't need to get temperature-controlled fans. Most motherboards respond to the core temp signal from the CPU cores, which is what you want. Next time, get PWM fans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in