Push or pull air across radiator fins? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Push or pull air across radiator fins?

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have a general question.....

Is it more efficient an effective for cooling performance to have a fan push air into a radiator or pull air out of a radiator ?

This is assuming the fan being used is a static pressure fan, since those are supposed to have a more focused flow for restricted air flow situations, like a radiator.

But, the question is independent of where it the radiator is located or any other heat related issues.

Anybody know ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Totally Tubular

Rep: 50 (Unique: 41)
Some fans are less effective in pull configuration versus push. The difference in temps would likely be only a few degrees either way though.

Previous Project: Heatripper Threadkiller Build Log
Previous Project: TT-Green Build Log (external link)
Previous Project: RED Glare Build Log (external link)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 2700X (1826SUS)
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU
NVIDIA TITAN Xp COLLECTORS EDITION (Jedi Order)
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Corsair HX1000i 1000W ATX
Cooling
EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB Nickel-Plexi
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl w/ eBC Backplate
Cooling
Watercool WCP D5-VARIO Pump with Heatkiller D5-TOP
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150 w/ MultiPort Top
Cooling
Watercool MO-RA3 360 LT Radiator - White
Cooling
Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling w/ 10mm x 16mm Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10/16mm Tubing - Crystal Clear
Cooling
Mayhems Pastel Coolant - Yellow
Cooling
Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed Fans (9)
Case
PrimoChill Praxis WetBench - White/Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB270HU bprz 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mouse Mat
Audio
Logitech G633 7.1 RGB USB Headset
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM

Rep: 1508 (Unique: 1047)
Push is better. But fans pulling or pushing cool air into the rad is ideal. Not having the hot air from the case going through the rad and out.

9980XE  •  APEX VI  •  3600CL15  •  KPE 2080TI HC  • 34GK950F-B • 905P AIC • 1600T2  •  800D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1667 (Unique: 927)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsurfn View Post

I have a general question.....

Is it more efficient an effective for cooling performance to have a fan push air into a radiator or pull air out of a radiator ?

This is assuming the fan being used is a static pressure fan, since those are supposed to have a more focused flow for restricted air flow situations, like a radiator.

But, the question is independent of where it the radiator is located or any other heat related issues.

Anybody know ?
While what MNMadman said might be true in rare cases, fan airflow is basically the result of the pressure differential between intake and exhaust sides of impeller, .. and as such impeller has no idea if radiator is in front or behind it. But .. and it's a big 'BUT' .. the exhaust side of a fan has impellers 4-5mm farther away from fan mounting surface (fan housing) then on intake side. This is because exhaust side of fan has the framework from surrounding housing to center where motor is. This 4-5mm difference can mean fan will be much noisier and sometimes does is not able to pull air into itself as well and it can push it out. This is true regardless of where fans being mounted and used .. be it on case vents, cooler or radiator.

As for the difference in temperature of air coming out of radiator and into a fan versus being a few degrees cooler going through fan before going into radiator, it's not enough of a temperature difference to make much if any difference to fan or fan bearing life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Push is better. But fans pulling or pushing cool air into the rad is ideal. Not having the hot air from the case going through the rad and out.
So you suggest using pre-heated air coming out of radiator to cool components inside of case instead of cool air coming in? Radiators are effected less by the temperature of air going into them than air cooled components are, therefore it's better to have air a few degrees warmer feed a radiator instead of air cooled components.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
If you're doing low speed fans pull is usually better, high speed favors pushing. But saying that it's a tiny amount of difference.
You shouldn't have any issues and the best setup is whatever works in the build normally.

Some fans like eloops have been bad for pull setups as they catch on the radiator in some cases though.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
The best thing about a pull configuration is that the dust tends to accumulate on the accessible side of the radiator. On a push configuration dust builds up between the radiator and fan, making it a little more difficult to clean.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Totally Tubular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

...fan airflow is basically the result of the pressure differential between intake and exhaust sides of impeller, .. and as such impeller has no idea if radiator is in front or behind it. But .. and it's a big 'BUT' .. the exhaust side of a fan has impellers 4-5mm farther away from fan mounting surface (fan housing) then on intake side. This is because exhaust side of fan has the framework from surrounding housing to center where motor is. This 4-5mm difference can mean fan will be much noiser and sometimes does is not able to pull air into itself as well and it can push it out.
Good explanation. So, like I said, some fans are less effective at pull configs. The CPU/GPU temperature difference as a result would only be a small one -- a few degrees maybe.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV for TITAN X and GTX 1080Ti - ACRYL Ni-Bl w/ eBC Backplate
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling w/ 10mm x 16mm Compression Fitting - Black
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks guys,

The reason I'm asking is that I have a somewhat unique situation.

I don't use a computer case, so I have no "heat buildup" or GPU heat transfer issues to the CPU area.

I don't worry about case intake or exhaust because there is no case.

I do use a noctua d15 and one thing that i've always wondered about it the "stock" configuration of the d15 with the center fan.

In stock configuration, one of the radiator fin stacks is always going to be using hot exhaust air from the other fin stack. One stack gets fresh air .... the other gets heated air.

So, I was wondering if it would be better to mount the 2 fans on the outside of the fin stacks, with no fan in the center.

Then the choice is wether to push air into each the fin stacks or pull air out of the fin stacks......

Any thoughts and opinions ??
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Totally Tubular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientist View Post

The best thing about a pull configuration is that the dust tends to accumulate on the accessible side of the radiator. On a push configuration dust builds up between the radiator and fan, making it a little more difficult to clean.
This is the reason I run my fans in pull config. On my Thermaltake Core P5, the fans pull the air through a dust filter first so the rad doesn't even get dusty.

CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe
Power Supply
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Monitor
Keyboard
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mouse
Logitech G Pro RGB USB
Mousepad
Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Rep: 1508 (Unique: 1047)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

So you suggest using pre-heated air coming out of radiator to cool components inside of case instead of cool air coming in? Radiators are effected less by the temperature of air going into them than air cooled components are, therefore it's better to have air a few degrees warmer feed a radiator instead of air cooled components.

I suggest taking cool air from outside of the case into the rad then going into the case then out the exhaust.

9980XE  •  APEX VI  •  3600CL15  •  KPE 2080TI HC  • 34GK950F-B • 905P AIC • 1600T2  •  800D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in