** Thermalright ARO-M14 for AM4 ** - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

** Thermalright ARO-M14 for AM4 **

post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1660 (Unique: 923)
Quote: Originally Posted by Brightmist View Post
@doyll All AM4 boards have manufacturer suggested RAM placement at A2/B2, meaning 2nd furthest away from CPU and furthest away from CPU if it has 4 sockets so RAM clearance isn't a big deal unless you have all of them populated or you have tall heatsinks on RAM. And yea, tall heatsinks suck for no reason.
Thanks, could you post a link to manufacturers' suggested RAM placement?

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
There's no link citing this but you can check all the AM4 motherboard manuals that has 4 sockets and they'll all show you the same thing. There's around ~200 AM4 motherboards total, I haven't gone through all of them but I've probably gone through 30-40 of them and I haven't seen a single one suggesting placing 1/2 DIMMs to the socket closest to CPU so far. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's an intended standard. Anyone feel free to check them all tho
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1660 (Unique: 923)
There's no link citing this but you can check all the AM4 motherboard manuals that has 4 sockets and they'll all show you the same thing. There's around ~200 AM4 motherboards total, I haven't gone through all of them but I've probably gone through 30-40 of them and I haven't seen a single one suggesting placing 1/2 DIMMs to the socket closest to CPU so far. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's an intended standard. Anyone feel free to check them all tho
Thanks.
I know the ram orientation for 2x sticks is as you say. I thought you were saying the distance from center CPU to RAM sockets was standard, and while PCIe sockets and motherboard I/O have industry standard positions for their placement, I have never seen anything about standarized placement of RAM and CPU sockets. I've even seen RAM sockets above CPU (in tower mount orientation), but don't remember which one it was.
Intel motherboard seem to always have 53mm or more center CPU to near side of RAM which means single tower coolers can fit fan between cooler and RAM.
But some new AMD motherboards have as little as 50.5mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket, meaning even on a 120mm single tower cooer a fan will not fit between cooler and RAM.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 09-08-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 172 (Unique: 88)
HR-22 install.

As the ARO-M14 looks the same as the ancient HR-22 series I suppose I am forced to post it here in this section (unless admins can move this away to another place or delete it altogether).

Received everything by mail from our friendly AusPost delivery guy.

The HR-22 is covered in a flat matt-black coating of something but it looks good, very even coverage everywhere on this cooler. Definitely not a spray can job by the Ebay Seller here.

Also the Thermalright BTK attachment came in today hence I was forced to place this cooler onto my latest 3800x and Gigabyte Master motherboard.

Very easy install with no problems whatsoever, maybe because I have installed dozens of Thermalright's over the years for my kids hence you get good at it. The only problem was that I was forced to use the Thermalright Fan because the HR-22 had two stainless steel brackets that only worked with their own fans. Couldn't use the Arctic PWM P140 fan I got at all, which really pissed me off.

Overall the temps are good but this is the Ryzen 3000 world where there are dozens of settings to investigate and experiment with. Troublesome hardware here, the wrong setting will catapult the temps into low 60's but generally it sits on average around 42C on this 28C day here in Perth.

All this Cooler has is the 8 (16 in total) cooling tubes on each side the design, so it seems to absorb the heat coming off these Ryzens like it was made for them. Pity AMD didn't bundle FREE HR-22's with their latest releases here .

Last edited by Elrick; 09-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:49 AM
- Insanity Beckons -

further Add-on....

Forgot to mention that two Innovation Cooling pads came in today from the Company, as well.

Have installed both together - one on top of another - so when I screwed down the two screws of the HR-22 onto the BTK bracket it was indeed a lot harder to press down on the screw driver, meaning that the 2 pads have provided a further fill in between the AMD IHS surface and the HR-22 cooler base.

Had to get my youngest to throw a 'loogie' onto the pads, so they would stick to the IHS and then onto one another.

The temps seem good at this stage but you only know how good the attachment is when you run the hardware during a 32C day on all full cores for two to three hours. Not going to run any tests for 24 hours, too old to bother and as long as you press the case button to start up the PC and front's up onto the Win 10 desktop, then it's done it's job.
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Swapped from True Spirit 140 to ARO-M14 a week ago.
The ARO is way bigger, but the True Spirit has more cooling fins/plates with less spacing between them so in total both coolers should have almost the same effective cooling area.
Benefit of the ARO is, that it's more effective on slow fan speeds, than the True Spirit, because of the bigger spacing between cooling fins/plates.

What's a bit annoying on the ARO is mounting, while the mainboard is already installed in the case.
The cooler screws will not reach the mounting plate that is connected to the backplate, so i had to slide one or two fingers under the mounting plate and lift it, until the screw finally reached the whole in the mounting plate and then repeat that on the other side.

Other than that it's performing fine. The fan is pretty much identical to the fan of my True Spirit 140...both will give some annoying humming/whine noise on specific PWM levels. For mine it's at ~729rpm and between 900-990rpm.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
@Elrick

Fan mounting holes are standardized. Doesn't P140 only have 140 mm mounting holes? Thermalright's 140mm, smaller frame fans use 120mm mounting holes with 140 mm propellers. So you likely need a 120mm fan or a 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes.

Also try a BIOS with AGESA 1003 ABBA, those lowered idle power consumption a little I think and new Ryzen Master shows both average Vcore and max. Vcore.
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 AM
Fix it till its broke

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post

All this Cooler has is the 8 (16 in total) cooling tubes on each side the design, so it seems to absorb the heat coming off these Ryzens like it was made for them.
Just wanted to let you know it’s is an eight pipe cooler, not sixteen.

3770K @ 4600 1.3v/Le Grand Macho RT/TY-143/TF8
Asus P8Z77-V/8GB G.Skill BBSE @ 1066 9-9-9-24 2T 1.65v
EVGA GTX 980 Classified @ 1495/2001
Intel 545S 256 @ Raid 0, WD 1TB Black, Toshiba 1TB
Fractal Design Meshify C TG/5x 120x38 Panaflo/CM Silent Pro M2 850
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Quote: Originally Posted by Owterspace View Post
Just wanted to let you know it’s is an eight pipe cooler, not sixteen.

Sorry - counted the pipes poking through the top of the Cooler here, my bad.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

@Elrick

Fan mounting holes are standardized. Doesn't P140 only have 140 mm mounting holes? Thermalright's 140mm, smaller frame fans use 120mm mounting holes with 140 mm propellers. So you likely need a 120mm fan or a 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes.
100% correct. I got so excited when everything arrived and I was there at the house, hence my progression towards installing everything hit that snag of having to leave out the P140 Arctic which I really feel bad about.

So wanted that to be attached and working on the front of the HR-22. Alas need to think about that here, not getting rid of the P140 at all just have to try a way of attaching it somehow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in