Morpheus II Vs. MK-26 - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Morpheus II Vs. MK-26

post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Melcar View Post

As for the VRM cooling, it's a bit of a problem. If your card uses a stock PCB layout the large VRM heatsink included on the Morpheus will fit, but if it doesn't you will have to make do with the smaller heatsinks. For my card I had to use the smaller ones with tape. Temps. are worse than stock but don't seem to cause a problem.
That's actually good to go in my case. I intended to custom cool it from the get go, so I went with a reference PCB (MSI Aero) not only because the blower cards are cheaper, but also for the higher compatibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by jonny27 View Post
Speaking of VRMs, did you manage to mount the larger VRM heatsink, or had to settle for a bunch of the smaller ones?
I used the large VRM heatsink but I still installed other heatsinks on the chokes and the components near to them. I had to stuck the large heatsink between the PCB and the Morpheus using thick thermal pads. It holds well and I believe it does some job. Alternatives to the large heatsink are bad because you can only use small heatsinks on the components where the large heatsink is meant to go. So if you have to go this route I would recommend using aftermarket copper heatsinks. They dissipate much more than the aluminum ones.

My method for mouting the large heatsink is pretty easy. I've seen someone else used a plastic tie going around the PCB.
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Goodcharly View Post
I used the large VRM heatsink but I still installed other heatsinks on the chokes and the components near to them. I had to stuck the large heatsink between the PCB and the Morpheus using thick thermal pads. It holds well and I believe it does some job. Alternatives to the large heatsink are bad because you can only use small heatsinks on the components where the large heatsink is meant to go. So if you have to go this route I would recommend using aftermarket copper heatsinks. They dissipate much more than the aluminum ones.

My method for mouting the large heatsink is pretty easy. I've seen someone else used a plastic tie going around the PCB.
Yeah, I've seen the ziptie method as well. Haven't thought about using pads to compress it against the main heatsink though, I'm assuming they sit millimeters apart then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jonny27 View Post
Yeah, I've seen the ziptie method as well. Haven't thought about using pads to compress it against the main heatsink though, I'm assuming they sit millimeters apart then.
I used the thick thermal pads that came with the stock cooler. One strip between the heatsink and the PCB and then two or three between the two heatsinks on each side. You have to be carefull when you do the installation so it doesn't slip and move the small heatsinks.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry for hijacking the thread yet again. I'm currently mid-installation of the Morpheus, and I'm brainstorming with a 3rd idea for the small components cooling. After disassembling the 1070ti, I see a full aluminium plate covering memories and the VRM set. Here's a photo with the blower fan already removed, also having side-by-side a rough idea of the Raijintek heatsinks I'd need to use.

Here's the problem: on the VRM side, while the MOSFET's are all neatly aligned, the remaining extra chips are a bit all over the place, so I'm sure I'd need extra smaller heatsinks for individual components. On the factory plate, that finned heatsink at the right is fixed to it, and not directly cooling any component. How feasible would it be to use the factory plate to cool memory chips and VRM's, with the Morpheus' fans directly blowing air on it? On quick testing, it looks like the Morpheus will fit with the plate in place, if I remove that finned heatsink (and judging by the 2 spots of black goop I see at its base inside it, it seems it's glued in, rather than welded).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181110_094633_109.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	230454  

Last edited by jonny27; 11-10-2018 at 02:39 AM.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:12 AM
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
Yeah that's what I did on my Xp. Got some pliers and ripped off the heatsink, but on my card there were two tabs poking up that I had to dremel off as well. I don't see those on your baseplate, so you should be good by just ripping off that heatsink. Also keep in mind that the Morpheus can sag a bit near the end so you may have to bend it upwards slightly.

VRM and VRAM temps will be slightly worse than going with the included heatsinks, but it's a lot easier to install and maintain. You might be able to find an extra cooler+baseplate on ebay if you want to revert to 100% stock.

Both the MK-26 and Morpheus II are good heatsinks, and both are dated designs, especially the latter. The Morpheus style heatsink was originally from the Logisys VC6006 Dracula which came out around 2005. Mk-26 is 2012. Only difference between the Dracula, M1 and M2 are the accessories and mounting plates. The Core edition is a powder coated + clear coat which makes the heatsink fins twice as thick, but does not hinder performance surprisingly. MK-26 black version was done right with electroplating.

Keep in mind that the review Herooftime posted is using the same 120mm fans on both coolers. The M2 doesn't officially support 140mm fans, and the MK-26 is wider to accomodate the width of a 140mm fan. Because of that, the 140mm fan will utilize some more surface area on the MK-26 which should drop temps a bit more, though it's still going to be really close to the M2 overall.

The Gigabyte 1080ti gaming does not have a baseplate that covers the VRMs, but does have a VRAM baseplate. You'll have to use the included VRM heatsink to cover the mosfets back there.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 11-10-2018 at 03:19 AM.
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
They are both decent but have endless compatibility issues due to heatpipe clearance of components especially VRM. Morph is 120mm MK26 is 140mm. When installed they take about 4 slots + 1 slot for intake space. On top of that you have to sort out VRAM and VRM cooling... It is better to buy a beefier heatsink GPU right away than to pay extra for aftermarket and DIY it. Considering prices, some people opt out to go hybrid instead and it's easier to install.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 636 (Unique: 438)
What's the fun in that.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Melcar; 11-10-2018 at 06:57 AM.
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
What is the best RTX 2080 for using with Morpheus II? I figure out the stock PCB with stock fan headers (FE for example) is not good, because its header is not standard (fan+RGB silly design).

post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lb_felipe View Post
What is the best RTX 2080 for using with Morpheus II? I figure out the stock PCB with stock fan headers (FE for example) is not good, because its header is not standard (fan+RGB silly design).
Well... I've seen 2 different cards taken apart.

The EVGA cards might have a sub-plate for cooling at least some of the board components that can be left on.

On the other hand, Gigabyte has the easiest total disassembly of all of them. About 7 easy screws on the backplate and everything comes off.

As for fan headers that's going to be a problem on most of them. I just plugged the fans into the motherboard and set the fans to ramp with MB temp. Why? Because I can control the fan speeds in general by setting fan curves on the MB. The cooling is so good As long as the fans are running at any decent RPM at all the card won't reach 60C. It doesn't have to be rocket science. Any why put the fan power load on the graphics card connectors if there's no point?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in