Morpheus II Vs. MK-26 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Morpheus II Vs. MK-26

post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Yeah, mine are connected to the motherboard as well. I tried connecting them to the gpu first (with a mini 4pin adapter), but it looks like nvidia works with actual fan rpm instead of pwm percentage. No matter how much I tweaked it, I couldn't drop the pair of Silent Wings 3 below 1200rpm, which is the minimum rpm of the factory fan. Before buying the graphics card, I searched as well for one with a compatible fan connector, but now my advice is just buy whatever and hook the fans to the motherboard.

In any case, I'm using the MB's 2nd pwm connector (thankfully is true pwm), with cpu temp as a basis (don't really use any workload where I only stress the gpu) and even though it could use some more tweaking, I'm liking the result for far: a 75C result on the stock cooler dropped to 49, with the fans at 1050rpm. Boost clocks were stable through the test too, so I'm assuming the vrm's (thank you nvidia for not including vrm temp sensors, really smart that) are fine under the stock baseplate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by jonny27 View Post
I couldn't drop the pair of Silent Wings 3 below 1200rpm, which is the minimum rpm of the factory fan.
I don't know if it works but theorically the NA-FC1 from Noctua should let you run your fans slower. It reduces the RPM signal.
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Goodcharly View Post
I don't know if it works but theorically the NA-FC1 from Noctua should let you run your fans slower. It reduces the RPM signal.
In theory yes, but at this point I would just be removing one controller from the case to install another one. Also, it's now working fine as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Quote: Originally Posted by Goodcharly View Post
I've seen somewhere mentioned that nvidia is nowadays checking the fan's RPM sensor reading. The card tries to find whatever PWM signal will produce a certain RPM. I mean, when you tell its fan controller to set a "30%" speed, it thinks that's intended for whatever factory fans were originally on the card. If that was a 4000 RPM fan, it then tries to run your fans at 1200 RPM, no matter what kind of fans you actually have.

If that's really how it is, the NA-FC1 would be a bit pointless, it still wouldn't really be possible to have the card control the fans.
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@Melcar If it's not too inconvenient, can you take a picture of your graphics card and show how close it is to the chipset heat sink?

I'll be following up very soon with some of the brainstorming I've been doing in regards to what I think I'm going to do. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

AMD 1800X w/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE (3850MHz, 100MHz BCLK)
G.SKILL 3200MHz CL16 16GBx2 (3066MHz, 14-14-14-14-28-42-4-6-24-1T)
GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC (2038MHz, 5940MHz)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (BIOS v6301)
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
I've seen somewhere mentioned that nvidia is nowadays checking the fan's RPM sensor reading. The card tries to find whatever PWM signal will produce a certain RPM. I mean, when you tell its fan controller to set a "30%" speed, it thinks that's intended for whatever factory fans were originally on the card. If that was a 4000 RPM fan, it then tries to run your fans at 1200 RPM, no matter what kind of fans you actually have.

If that's really how it is, the NA-FC1 would be a bit pointless, it still wouldn't really be possible to have the card control the fans.
I see. You better check twice the GPU you buy. And I hope we will be still seing regular mini-4pin connector in the future...
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post

Interesting. Would you have a link to info about this PWM signal to rpm reading? We've had motherboard and GPU with 'fan not spinning' warnings, but I've never seen one that was comparing PWM% to fan rpm%. Not doubting what you say, just wanting to learn more.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
@doyll :

I saw this on a leaflet that came with my Arctic Twin Turbo III. I found a download for it on their website:

https://www.arctic.ac/de_en/download...al_english.pdf

There's a sentence about nvidia at the top of the second page. In the settings table at the bottom of the page you can also see that they recommend weird, very low percentages for nvidia. The fans that come with the Twin Turbo are thin 92mm fans with a 900 to 2000 RPM range.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 44)
MK-26 isn't good. Back in the days I replaced my Windforce X3 on my 7950 with it and there was no improvement.

I don't know about Morpheus II but if you look back at this https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...90,3671-4.html, Accelero Xtreme III can keep a R9 290 at 50C. It's worth considering too.

Personally I would just go with an AIO. Cleaner, performs better than any of these air coolers, don't add tons of weight to the card, and most importantly doesn't make your card 4-5 slots.

junkman
(20 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME
GPU
SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3733C17D-8GVK
RAM
G.SKILL F4-3733C17D-8GVK
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 275GB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
RayStorm Neo sTR4
Cooling
HEATKILLER IV for RX Vega 56 & 64
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO (18X 9G1224G101 Sanyo Denki)
Cooling
LAING D5 STRONG
Cooling
7X Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM
Case
LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2760
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K65
Mouse
ZOWIE EC2-A
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Bartouille; 11-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Bartouille View Post
Personally I would just go with an AIO. Cleaner, performs better than any of these air coolers, don't add tons of weight to the card, and most importantly doesn't make your card 4-5 slots.
And a noisy pump at all times. No thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in