New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
GPU silencing

Current parts:
---1080 strix
---R5 2600
---Meshify C dark TG
---CM 212evo
---2 x sw3 140mm pwm high speed as front intakes, in line with, and feeding CPU and GPU
---1x X2 GP-12 as an exhaust on the back starting at 55°C on CPU (only runs on summer and at really low RPM, bellow 500)

The intake aligned with the GPU, is connected to one of the 2 GPU extra fan ports.

Here is the issue i have: the fans of the GPU on themselves are beareble up to 1800rpm (noisy as ****, but beareble), the problem is that the GPU pushes the extra fan case (sw3 1600rpm) to the max after 60°C. Current situation: 66-68°C with GPU fans at 1800+ and 1600 on the intake.
If i run the sw3 run at 900rpm and eliminate its own noise, there is a difference in GPU temps of 8°C (raises from 67 to 75) and the GPU fans go above 2200rpm which is noisy as ****.

I know what options i have, but I would like to hear some opinions of how far should i go, since some of them have drawbacks. I'll put them in order of importance.

---Changing the GPU fans for 2x120mm.
---Changing the thermal paste. I've heard it improves by a lot, and i have kryounaut at home, but it is a reconditioned GPU from Amazon and since im living in Europe, they still make use of warranty stickers......
---Cutting down from the PSU shroud (at least from the top part) and leaving enough to not compromise the build of the case, and fitting in the front 2x140mm +1x120 (it should allow me to reduce under 1000rpm on the 2 intakes that blow under the GPU).
---Buy a new Meshify C without TG, and also make an exhaust on the side at GPU level. Should help with recycling hot air. Also keep my feet warm during winter hahahahha.

Opinions???? Ideas?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
@doyll

He's your resident expert on airflow. Though I will add that re-applying thermal paste on the newer Nvidia cards does not have the same large gains that older cards were seeing. It's still worth doing for many of us though. Maybe wait until the warranty is expired to do it?

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 294 (Unique: 215)
I don't see any pictures of your setup at all, it doesn't matter much what components you run if you've created very likely a hot box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
@doyll

He's your resident expert on airflow. Though I will add that re-applying thermal paste on the newer Nvidia cards does not have the same large gains that older cards were seeing. It's still worth doing for many of us though. Maybe wait until the warranty is expired to do it?
I bought it in August 2018 so i still have 2,5 years warranty. It's not much of an option.
I red that the thermal paste they use, even in high end GPUs it's crap. Idk to what extent tho. Tnx for the tip, I'll definitely look into it more, since i really don't wanna remove that seal unless the gains are important.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I don't see any pictures of your setup at all, it doesn't matter much what components you run if you've created very likely a hot box.
How is that? How did you come to that conclusion from a Meshify C with 2x140mm premium fans intakes in the front and 1x120avg exhaust in the rear.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong,.... at least from the CPU perspective and the cooler and the RPM im using on the fans. I use the PC for gaming, and the upper fans that impact on the CPU, in gaming run at front intake 650-700rpm~, cooler 700~, rear exhaust stopped, with temps btw 45°C and 48-51°C (depending on the day), and in prime95 small fft, front intake runs at 870~, cooler at 950 and exhaust at 400-500 with 58-60°C.
Considering I'm using a 212evo, how does that makes u think i created a hot box?
You suggest the rear exhaust being stopped impacts on the GPU thermals? I have the inferior front intake blowing at 1600RPM, and 3 of the 5 GPU brackets bellow the card removed, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the rear exhaust, but it might be worth looking into it.
Tnx for the comment anyway.

Last edited by ryan92084; 01-24-2019 at 04:30 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
I took a look at a few pictures of your case online and it's a simple design which tells me your airflow is likely fine. And with the PCI brackets removed you are already taking a smart approach to your cooling setup.

Do you have any way to post a few pictures for us to take a more detailed look?

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Even if the higher placed fans look very slightly missaligned. If u pay a lot of attention is the effect of the camera.
https://imgur.com/a/eyINPdL
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
I would just do some experiments and see what works. Try blocking off the top vent on your case, run the rear fan at a tolerable level ect. If the rear fan is off you're losing a lot of air out of the top of the case before it has a chance to cool anything. Try to seal the front fans up to the front panel so they don't just recycle case air. If you have any other fans laying around try throwing them on the top as intake then exhaust.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I apologize i took so long to answer, i was in a working frenzy.

I've started running for a while the rear fan aswell, but wouldn't get more than 1-2°C improvements in the hottest situation.

Now i removed the rear exhaust (fractal case fan) and mounted it in the front with the 2x140mm sw3, removed the drive cage, removed the PSU shroud front top, tucked the cables behind the right panel, mounted the SSD on the floor where the HDD cage was, and reconnected the 140mm intake from the GPU to the motherboard.

Improvements: 3-4°C better CPU temps from 49 to 45-46, GPU dropped 1°C and 100-150 RPM on the fans, and the 140mm case fan that was feeding the GPU since it's connected via splitters with the other one, now doesn't make any noise since, it tops out at 800+ rpm.

All in all, i got great improvements, especially in the noise department (which is what i am looking for). Still feel the need to mod the GPU with the 120mm, since the GPU sometimes run to 1700+ rpm..... It's not noisy or annoying on its own (without the 140mm blasting at 1600rpm), but you can definitely hear it very well.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Only watercooling is valid for your needs. 1080 Strix has a referent PCB, so you can use Kraken G12 with some other compatible AiO.

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX660 2048MB DDR5/192bit SuperClocked 1101MHz/1505MHz
RAM
2x KHX2400C11D3/8GX 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDWD10 (P300)
Power Supply
Corsair CS650M
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis + Arctic Cooling MX4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCk Mini
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808
Audio
AKG K240 Studio 1st rev
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by BroadPwns View Post
Only watercooling is valid for your needs. 1080 Strix has a referent PCB, so you can use Kraken G12 with some other compatible AiO.
I wouldn't be so sure, i have 20°C room temp most of the year, and I'm fine with bellow 70-72 in gaming as long as i can run completly silent. As far as i know liquid cooling was never silent.... and if u ask me, it's completely overrated.

Right now my GPU sits around 61-62 in apex and bf1 and 66°C OW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in