First quarter of 2019 best air cooling setup - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

First quarter of 2019 best air cooling setup

post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
First quarter of 2019 best air cooling setup

Hello everyone. It is nice to become a member of this awesome, no-nonsense community after consuming thousands of lines of amazing content and guides written here. Although, I consider myself an advanced, enthusiast PC user, I understand that my knowledge in regard to the topic is far below the level I am trying to reach. Therefore, I would like to cheat a little by asking for help and advice from the more experienced and knowledgeable enthusiast members of the forum.

I am planning a new, extreme (quite overkill in some of its parts) rig (my 7th in 20 years) for gaming (8-10 hours per day) and, maybe, some hobby-level editing. The only constant variable in it being that it must be completely air cooled. The aim here is to have the best possible gaming performance on a single gpu with the ability to upgrade parts later. The PSU, case and all the cooling parts I would like to last and be optimal for a generation or two after this one. However, that is not mandatory.

The challenge I am faced with is this: what exact combination of case, case fans, CPU heatsink and heatsink fans would provide the best of the best (or within 1% of that) performance to noise ratio when trying to cool BOTH GPU and CPU?

The only thing I want to avoid while trying to achieve that is case modding aka drilling. However, I am ok with doing a lot of other modding like changing out a GPU cooler/thermal paste, changing out the fans on a heatsink, delidding a CPU (a must for me), removing a case PSU shroud etc.

I would prefer the build to look nice if it is a windowed case, however I would prefer more not to have to sacrifice any of the performance/noise ratio to the internal looks. A windowless case is good or even better as I won't have to worry about the looks in the future as I upgrade my parts.

I also would prefer to use a tried and true setup. I am not very fond of experimenting with case airflow for weeks/months.

Money is not an issue at all, there is no budget.

The parts list I have come up with so far:
CPU: i9 9900k (pre binned, looking for the best I can find on various overclocking forums, preferrably about 1.136v at 5 Ghz, 1.232v at 5.2 Ghz)
CPU cooling mod: 9900k der8auer direct die oc frame with liquid metal on CPU die
Ram: 32 (2x16) Gb of Ram (also prebinned, will be overclocked up to 1.5v max)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Gene XI
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB 500gb x1 + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, SATA x2
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium Ultra 1000W
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti EVGA FTW3 Ultra with liquid metal (one of the highest max OC wattage while also having one of the beefiest coolers and an almost unvoidable warranty)

My personal thoughts so far:

1. Heatsink and fans

The heatsink must be compatible with the direct die oc frame and must have nickel plated copper finish (so as not to have any issues with liquid metal). As far as I know being compatible means its height must be adjustable. The support at caseking.de has confirmed be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 to be compatible. I haven't done much research on the compatibility of other heatsinks. I know that Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT with its included fan would probably be better.

2. Case

GPU coil whine is a lottery. Therefore, I would prefer the case to have dampening material as it is supposed to help reduce the noise (however, I must admit, I have no experience with case dampening). I know that such cases usually have restricted airflow but I might be prepared to sacrifice some in order to eliminate possible coil whine noise.

Also, I would prefer to have the fan on my PSU running constantly. Just for the peace of mind.

My longtime consideration has been the original Dark Base 900 (non-Pro). First, I would invert it. Then I would test whether the CPU/GPU temps are better with an extra fan installed in the front or top (blowing down on the GPU). Then try 4 intake fans (3 in the front, 1 in the top). Then I would test whether CPU/GPU temps are better with the PSU facing up or down (I would prefer it facing up so that its fan noise is reduced by the case's dampening). I would still probably change out the fans for something like Phanteks PH-F140MP or Thermalright TY 14* as from what I read, they are superior. Still, I realise that this is already a lot of experimenting which I prefer to avoid altogether.

Again, I want your suggestions guys. I heard the new Evolv X is awesome? Really, I am open to anything.

3. Case fans

Phanteks PH-F140MP or Thermalright TY 14*? Or maybe something I haven't read about yet.

Last edited by Praegrandis; 01-25-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 960 (Unique: 592)
Quote: Originally Posted by Praegrandis View Post
CPU: i9 9900k, preferrably about 1.136v at 5 Ghz, 1.232v at 5.2 Ghz)

good luck on that one.

Dark Base 900 is a fantastic case but it's not air-flow focused. Silence focused and "good airflow" don't really exist. Quiet cases have solid panels and sound dampening. Air-flow focused cases have mesh.

Pick one

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

good luck on that one.

Dark Base 900 is a fantastic case but it's not air-flow focused. Silence focused and "good airflow" don't really exist. Quiet cases have solid panels and sound dampening. Air-flow focused cases have mesh.

Pick one
I am hoping to get something close to this one:
https://community.hwbot.org/topic/18...9900k-5g-1136/

Won't be easy, of course.

I figured, if I can get such a good CPU, I would probably not need THAT much airflow to cool it properly (something like 70c max while gaming) while still being able to have a silent system. Meanwhile, such a case would save me from having to put up with hearing irritating coil whine.

Still, this is all theoretical for me at this point.

Last edited by Praegrandis; 01-25-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 381 (Unique: 262)

2. Case

My longtime consideration has been the original Dark Base 900 (non-Pro).

3. Case fans

Phanteks PH-F140MP or Thermalright TY 14*? Or maybe something I haven't read about yet.

And things like this is where it goes off the rails. You are already looking at changing for the sake of changing. The SW3 included with the Dark Base 900 are better fans that what you intend to replace them with.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
And things like this is where it goes off the rails. You are already looking at changing for the sake of changing. The SW3 included with the Dark Base 900 are better fans that what you intend to replace them with.
I guess thank you for the tip! Choosing the rest of the parts is much easier for me. Choosing a case, fans and a heatsink is very confusing and I can't tell clearly which is better.

However, I read here (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...flow-case.html) that PH-F140MP produce more static pressure at the same RPM and my understanding was that they must be better in my particular use case. Am I wrong? If I am, is there anything better than Silent Wings 3? Noiseblocker-eLoops?

Last edited by Praegrandis; 01-25-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 26)
DrockinWV

3. Case fans

I have always been a big "fan" of Noctua products. I run them in all of my builds, they are quiet and very efficient for their airflow and reliability. If you are looking at case fans and CPU heatsinks, I would not skip over Noctua products.

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 381 (Unique: 262)
I guess thank you for the tip! Choosing the rest of the parts is much easier for me. Choosing a case, fans and a heatsink is very confusing and I can't tell clearly which is better.

However, I read here (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...flow-case.html) that PH-F140MP produce more static pressure at the same RPM and my understanding was that they must be better in my particular use case. Am I wrong? If I am, is there anything better than Silent Wings 3? Noiseblocker-eLoops?
That is not the case. The SW3 creates more static pressure at lower noise levels as shown below, especially in the midrange where you will be using them. The eLoops have a slight advantage at some speeds, but the least bit of obstruction on the intake side makes the eLoops produce a nasty howl.

All in all, you are buying a case with what many consider to be the best fan on the market already included. Changing them would be nothing but an expense with no benefit.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
That is not the case. The SW3 creates more static pressure at lower noise levels as shown below, especially in the midrange where you will be using them. The eLoops have a slight advantage at some speeds, but the least bit of obstruction on the intake side makes the eLoops produce a nasty howl.

All in all, you are buying a case with what many consider to be the best fan on the market already included. Changing them would be nothing but an expense with no benefit.
I appreciate the clarification. Thank you.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Direct die + LM = find an air cooler that can even mount that low with enough pressure and has flat nickel plated base. Most CPU coolers are not flat base and won't mount low enough for direct die, meaning usually people use some water block and custom screws to get it as low as they need.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Direct die + LM = find an air cooler that can even mount that low with enough pressure and has flat nickel plated base. Most CPU coolers are not flat base and won't mount low enough for direct die, meaning usually people use some water block and custom screws to get it as low as they need.
As I have said, I am aware of the issue. However, in his presentation video, der8auer said that some of air coolers are compatible. I have specifically asked caseking.de support about the compatibility with be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and they answered that it is compatible. There should be other air coolers with adjustable height as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in