heating changes, case horizontal/vertical - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

heating changes, case horizontal/vertical

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
heating changes, case horizontal/vertical

Am trying to understand what is happening with this system:

SL re-lidded 7980xe
Asrock OC Formula
Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
Corsair LPX 4X16 3200
Seasonic 1000w Prime Platinum
Corsair 750D Airflow; two 140 Corsair PWM in front

When I turn the case horizontal, I am getting a 4 to 5 deg C drop in package temperature while running 18-core/100% utilization videofiles. X44/Vcore 1.120. At first, I thought the weight of the double tower was affecting the baseplate/IHS boundary when the MB was vertical, but bracing the tower seems to have no effect. The entire heat curve vs time is elevated in the vertical position, and ends up being about +- 89 C as opposed to +-84 with case laid down (about the same as open bench). Nothing I've tried with side on/off, fans and baffles seems to affect this 5 deg rise. Anybody seen something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1632 (Unique: 916)
Same as in your other thread;
Exactly how are you mounting cooler?
How tight is cooler on CPU?
How much TIM are you using?
What is TIM print look like?

Many years ago when I tested coolers different orientations I think I saw a slight difference in temps with different orientation, but it was so small a difference I couldn't say for sure it was a difference .. the difference was well within +/-1c margin of error.

I have seen some instances (like in Silverstone 90 degree motherboard orientation w/ I/O at top of case) that super big/long GPU coolers some types of heatpipe wicking was not able to wick liquid up the long heatpipes causing coolant to collect at ends with temps going extreme.

I don't suppose you have another cooler you could try and see if same problem occurs?

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 372 (Unique: 258)
I've seen this in a number of isolated instances, and have experienced it once or twice myself. But, I can't say I recall ever seeing valid explanation or solution. I'm interested to see if one turns up here.

In before PoohBear says that the solution is to use Arctic P12 fans.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
I've seen this in a number of isolated instances, and have experienced it once or twice myself. But, I can't say I recall ever seeing valid explanation or solution. I'm interested to see if one turns up here.

In before PoohBear says that the solution is to use Arctic P12 fans.
What coolers did you experience it with?

I emailed Thermalright and haven't had an answer yet. Normally I hear right back so assume they are looking into it.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
What coolers did you experience it with?

I emailed Thermalright and haven't had an answer yet. Normally I hear right back so assume they are looking into it.
I really don't remember. It was long ago, and many, many coolers ago.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 AM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Its the heat pipes and how they are able to function more efficiently when the case is laying down and they extend vertically. I seen this several years ago and was able to consistently reproduce the changes as orientation moved. A thermal imaging device confirmed my theory back then.

If some of the heat pipes were not properly boil sealed to remove the non condensers from the assembly and there are defects as such, then gravity becomes more detrimental to the defective pipe than its designed mode of transportation.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
I really don't remember. It was long ago, and many, many coolers ago.
I remember years ago Noctua did not recommend mounting it with 'U' at top for old NH-C12P, but I don't see anything like that for NH-C14S.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Its the heat pipes and how they are able to function more efficiently when the case is laying down and they extend vertically. I seen this several years ago and was able to consistently reproduce the changes as orientation moved. A thermal imaging device confirmed my theory back then.

If some of the heat pipes were not properly boil sealed to remove the non condensers from the assembly and there are defects as such, then gravity becomes more detrimental to the defective pipe than its designed mode of transportation.
Seems a lot of talk saying almost nothing.

You saw it with what coolers?

What kind of wick was used in those coolers' heatpipes?

What the hell is 'properly boil sealed to remove the no non condensers from the assembly' supposed to mean? I've never heard of 'boil sealed' or 'non condensers' .. and defective heatpipes in coolers are almost as rare as hen's teeth.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM
Shooting down fallacies

I remember years ago Noctua did not recommend mounting it with 'U' at top for old NH-C12P, but I don't see anything like that for NH-C14S.
The recommendation is still there for the C14/C14S. BQ states it for the TF, Phanteks did for their top flow cooler, etc. But, that is just common sense for any cooler of that design. Top flows should always be mounted with the heat pipes horizontal in a tower case.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Seems a lot of talk saying almost nothing.

You saw it with what coolers?

What kind of wick was used in those coolers' heatpipes?

What the hell is 'properly boil sealed to remove the no non condensers from the assembly' supposed to mean? I've never heard of 'boil sealed' or 'non condensers' .. and defective heatpipes in coolers are almost as rare as hen's teeth.
Boil sealed is a term in the industry as to how they seal heat pipes. There are several ways to do this but essentially the pipe is heated up while submersed in its liquid to a point that the liquid itself is boiling. This forces contaminants out (Non-Condenser), the pipe is then sealed while saturated in the liquid to ensure its contaminant free that would otherwise compromise the system.

Non-Condenser is used a much more general catch all, but the idea is simple, these would be substances that do not thermally behave the way the filler liquid is supposed to perform, thus degrading the functionality of the heat pipe.

The cooler it was observed on was a Dark Knight II.

Also, the post said everything you needed to know. You just need to go look up how these systems are made and the different types of transportation mediums. As for defective heat pipes being as rare as hens teeth. Not true at all, but that depends on your definition of defective. There is a massive difference between a pipe that has leaked out which is very rare, and one with contaminants detrimental to performance which is extremely common, especially in wick type construction.

Last edited by ORL; 02-13-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in