Cooling setup for fractal Mashify C - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Cooling setup for fractal Mashify C

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
w00dstock Level 1

Cooling setup for fractal Mashify C

So i need need help with the optimal fan layout for fractal meshify c.

specs are

cpu 2700x (4.2ghz)
cpu cooler :noctua dh15 am4
gpu : msi 2070 armor
mobo : msi x470 m7 ac
ram : 32gb gskill trident rgb

Now the case supports the following

Front : 3 x 120 or 2x 140 mm
Rear : 1 x 120mm
top : 2 x 120 / 1400 mm.

Goal is best temps and fans choices are corsair ml non rgb and noctua 14 + noctua nf-a 14 (140mm) + nf - f12 (120mm)

So what would be optimum no of fans for best cooling perf.

I was thinking front (2x 140) as intake, top (1*140) intake + back (1*120) exhaust.

Well looking forward to more suggestions.

also which is better purely perf. wise, noctua fans or corsair ml fans ?

P.S attached photo is not my rig.
All fans except the rear fan, are intakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	244876.41f80e3ec64666ca25b00967c71346da.1600.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	253100  

Last edited by w00dstock; 02-11-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 AM
Shooting down fallacies
ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about

Realistically, the only way to find the optimal layout is to experiment since each build will differ somewhat, even in the same case. However, most have found in similar builds that the top fans hinder performance. 2 x 140 intake, 120mm rear exhaust, leave the top open will likely be the ideal.

If you are looking for optimal, the Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 are better fans than either you have mentioned.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Not new to overclock.net
kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point kd5151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Top fans should be exhaust imo. Also based on my experience the top fan over the cpu and motherboard vrm does most of the work. You can feel a lot of heat being exhausted out of the case. The top fan closest to the front of the case doesn't really do anything. In most cases the only thing your cooling is the corner of the motherboard or the dvd drive. LoL.

I'm not sure how well a bottom intake would fair in a case like this. Me personally? I would even bother unless you mod the psu shroud. But then again all the heat coming from the psu will be blowing on to the gpu??? Maybe the way it's done in the pic is the only way to do it. And you probably don't have to mod anything because theres a cover you can take off in that spot. But how much of a difference is that fan making just sitting there. That's what I'd like to know? I guess the hard drives are a little cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 AM
Linux Lobbyist
Dogzilla07 Level 1

From a choice of only Noctua or Corsair ML, my vote would go for the Corsair ML fans, especially if you know you are ok with higher levels of noise(because that's where ML shines). Otherwise I'd second Be Quiet SW3, they have better performance at speeds which actually matter for daily usage(800-1100RPM). Whether you use headphones will count into how much noise you can tolerate of course.

If you have moneys to spend, 3x120 Noctua NF-A12x25 infront will do the best job, but again probably not worth the extra cost compared to 2x140mm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
poah Level 1

arctic P12 pwm fans.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't buy a NF-F12 when a NF-A12x25 exists. The NF-F12 is underwhelming for the money as it's an average fan with better build quality and some accessories. The NF-A12x25 on the other hand is redesigned and is quieter than most fans at the same RPM while pushing more airflow due to the tip clearance being smaller (use of Sterrox material was required).

Also as case fans you have cheaper or quieter options (Arctic P12 / P14 being the cheap option in a 5 pack, Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 high speed PWM being the expensive quiet option).

In your instance I'd probably go with 2 x Arctic P14 intake in front and a stock 120mm fan in back. You could put a top rear exhaust to experiment a bit , I wouldn't put a top front exhaust as you will likely deprive the CPU cooler of air.

I have a feeling 3x 120mm isn't going to have a large difference to 2x 140mm , especially due to the PSU shroud. You're better off with a layout tested by GamersNexus https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...ew-vs-define-c

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
w00dstock Level 1

So after some contemplation im thinking nf a14 2x front intake , 1x rear exhaust , 1x top exhaust (next to the rear fan) and 1x intake top fan near the front of the case.

Yeah all noctua nf a 14, will move more air.Corsair's make more noise comparatively.

What do guys think ?

The motherboard is msi x470 m7 ac so can i plug all these pwm fans (total 5 fans) into the mobo itself or do i need something like corsair commander pro to control all the pwm fans ?

P.S I am from India, so not a whole lot of options.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about rdr09 has a spectacular aura about

Op, you can setup the way you thought of first, check temps and go from there. Im till using my old HAF 912 in one of two Ryzen systems and decided to reverse the airflow from IN rear/top to OUT front. Rear and top fans blowing fresh cool ambient air to motherboard. Of course fan on the Noctua U12S is reverse too.

EDIT: Check your BIOS and see if all fan headers can be setup there. In my X470 Prime Pro, all fans are controlled by the BIOS (Six fans total including CPU fan). All set to Silent mode except AIO one, which is set to auto. The AIO header ramps up the fastest to about 1500 rpm.

I use HWINFO64 to monitor temps. The SS below included current temp readings using Aida, which seemed to match with HWINFO64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRM TEMPS.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	597.0 KB
ID:	253288  

Last edited by rdr09; 02-13-2019 at 04:45 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
w00dstock Level 1

i have 4 sys fan header, 1 cpu fan and 1 pump fan header.So i guess that takes care of it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM
New to Overclock.net
doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about doyll has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by w00dstock View Post
i have 4 sys fan header, 1 cpu fan and 1 pump fan header.So i guess that takes care of it.
What ciarlatano said.

2x good front intakes like NF-A14 and maybe a bottom intake, remove all PCIe back slot covers and no exhaust fans are needed to have good case airflow. Control case fans' speeds so they cycle with CPU and GPU cooler fans so they flow just a little air at idle and lots of air at full load full speed.

Other fans to consider are Thermalright TY-147A, 147B, etc; be quiet! Silent Wings 3 high speed, Arctic F140 PWM and P140 PWM.

All above fans make plenty of airflow to move a good amount of air from front to back of case.

Using more than 2x 140mm front and 1x 120mm bottom intakes is a waste of fans and only increases noise.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in