!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problematic? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problematic?

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
!VERY strange cooling for graphics card (memory only partially covered): problematic?

so I've this MSI ITX form graphics card where not only the GPU but also the VRM, chokes (do these need to be cooled?) and VRAM are cooled by the heatsink

but weird thing is, the memory chips are only HALF covered by the thermal pads:
Spoiler!

so this looks like totally stupid illogical design but my concern is can this cause a heating problem instead of preventing it?

> like can this cause a "thermal imbalance" or something with half of the memory chip overheating while only the other half is cooled?

ps. and for the lower right chip, only 1/4 is cooled! so will 3/4 of the chip heat up & only 1/4 be cooled?

Last edited by pulverizor; 03-06-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 118 (Unique: 90)
Not how you post photos...

Nothing stupid about it though. They included some cooling to components that needed none, the core is cooled and the VRM is fully covered.
The only reason you might need to try to cool the ram is when the card is getting no airflow and even then it's not likely to be an issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Not how you post photos...

Nothing stupid about it though. They included some cooling to components that needed none, the core is cooled and the VRM is fully covered.
The only reason you might need to try to cool the ram is when the card is getting no airflow and even then it's not likely to be an issue.
(impossible to extract the real url to those photos try it & see even in the page source the .jpg link don't appear if you can figure how to do it lemme know plz)

but why cool only half the chip? can this create an imbalance with half the chip cooled & the other half still hot?

I mean aint it be better not to put thermal pads on the memory than just put half-pads?

Last edited by pulverizor; 03-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thermal imbalance? Neither side is hot, it's just ram.
Why would you do that? Probably because it was easier to re-use a coldplate off an existing design, could be the coldplate from larger cards which would normally touch nothing but when you squish the card down it reaches the ram. Since they used another coldplate for the VRM there's no need for a mid-plate. Really hard to say exactly why but it's not a problem. It actually looks like a really well designed cooler for that size card.

Nothing wrong with the pics either.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Thermal imbalance? Neither side is hot, it's just ram.
Why would you do that? Probably because it was easier to re-use a coldplate off an existing design, could be the coldplate from larger cards which would normally touch nothing but when you squish the card down it reaches the ram. Since they used another coldplate for the VRM there's no need for a mid-plate. Really hard to say exactly why but it's not a problem. It actually looks like a really well designed cooler for that size card.
its just in other card reviews (like MSI gaming or armor series, Asus Gigabyte etc.) VRam gets much hotter reviewer says some types of VRAM get hot

here the VRAM chips are half-cooled hence my question is the other half of the VRAM (the non-covered part) hotter then the covered part?

I mean those chips aint made of metal (not like the IHS of a cpu) so they don't conduct heat which means heat dont get "spread out" across the chip that's why I'm curious to what an IR pic of a half-cooled memory chip would be like: one half hot & the other much less hot?

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the pics either.
k my bad I didn't even try IMG tags cause the links didn't end with a filename so figured it wouldn't work

edited the OP

Last edited by pulverizor; 03-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

guess what I mean is suppose I remove those half-pads & replace them with full pads that cover the whole chip (even if the heatsink only touches half the pad) will this improve cooling of the chips?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

HBM is the only memory that needs active cooling.

RAM is made of silicon which does conduct heat, not as fast as most metals but like everything it still does conduct heat. Cooling one side will cool the other side, not at the same rate but you're talking a bout something that doesn't need cooling anyway.
Not sure what reviewer you're talking about but HBM is the only ram that needs to be cooled. The VRM does need to be cooled, the VRAM doesn't. Each chip is like 5w.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

same reviewer

in other reviews where VRAM ain't cooled he says it runs very hot :
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,9.html

you said only 5W yet 80°C dont exactly sound cold :/
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

"The company says that GDDR5X’s power consumption is 2-2.5W per DRAM component and 10-30W per board"
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9883/...memory-14-gbps

83c is what I'd expect out of a card with no midplate and a single fan, that's 12c under what they're rated for. 12c is a huge gap.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Not New to Overclock.net

dunno man 83°C sounds scary :/

I mean VRAM running at 70°C will have longer lifespan then VRAM running at 80°C right?

I mean there gotta be a reason why MSI put thermal pads on that memory right? (even if only half pads)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in