Where are the triple towers? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Where are the triple towers?

post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post

The reason CLC test results appear to be cooling better than air cooler is because of air temp into CLC as case intake is way cooler than air temp into air cooler when testing in a case built test system.

given most reviews are done on test benches and see AIO's cooling better the case argument is a moot point. Also if the test is done on a test bench it is only relevant to a test bench not an enclosed system so not comparable to a home system. The AIO has the advantage here that the rad has access to cooler air. You can't try and equalise a system just because one cooler has an advantage over another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 992 (Unique: 605)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
First off, almost all AIOs you are referring to are CLCs, a sub-group of AIO and not near as well built as AIOs that are not CLCs. Asetek's almost monopoly on CLC cooling with sales as good as they are means they have no real incentive to improve product. They change the looks a little, add RGB and call it a new 'generation' product.

All of this 1st gen, 2nd gen, etc hype is just that, hype with little to no real changes in pump, raidator, etc. I have seen nothing that indicates there is any real functional difference in performance from original H100 vs most resent Asetek CLCs using same size radiators. They have changed to quieter fans, but that has also lowered their maximum cooling ability.

Asetek has published almost nothing of their pump performance so we have no way of knowing what their lift and flow rates .. but from what few independent tests I've seen there is no real difference in pump flowrate from original Asetek to latest generation .. all have a flow rate about equal to what a healthy adult can urinate which is 40-60 L/h .. somewhere between 34 L/h to 61 L/h.

If you have any data and supporting links please post them so we can see the differences.

Generation differences are not just "marketing hype and RGB", the pump is different in every generation except between 5/6. Flow rate was improved between most generations as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asetek

Flowrate is not the only factor in noise levels or in performance, so using it as a barometer is kind of silly. Yeah, they're really low compared to a real loop but I don't get mad if my dog doesn't moo.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Rii RKM709 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by The Pook; 03-13-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 636 (Unique: 438)
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I have

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

All NF A14 PWM fan (beige)
2x intake front to HDD bay
3x intake top (mesh) to inside PC case
1x exhaust rear

I'm not getting that great of temps to my cooler, even with a positive air pressure config.

Do you have data on the H150i or any of the Gen 6 pumps?

H360 x3 is better?

Any temp comparison and overall QC comparison?

How about the reliability of the cooler without maintenance (no drain/refill)?

The issue is that I'm unwilling to disassemble the open loop at all.

The Phoenix struck my interest since it's advertised as prebuilt and can easily add a GPU block if need be.

I'm not sure how maintenance free it is though. And it's more expensive than all the options for CLCs. Even when buying H150i + EVGA hybrid kit.

A few things:
1. Those top intakes may be hurting cooling performance. Top intakes are very specific and their effectiveness depends on many things. I have used top intakes on my Enthoo Pro and I had to place them just right for them to be effective. Having said that, they are more helpful with pancake style CPU coolers.

2. Just pumping air into the case is not good enough. That hot air needs to flow out somehow and at a fast enough rate to not de detrimental to cooling performance. I really hope that single active exhaust in your setup is a really high rpm/airflow fan to keep up.

3. The Enthoo Pro/Luxe are great cases, but they are more geared toward water cooling than air (lots of radiator mounting options and more exhaust ports than intakes by default).

As Doyll pointed out, CLCs are easier to keep cool compared to air coolers. With air coolers you are contending with the air inside your case, which is often heating up from nearby components. You have to make sure to balance your air flow so that it does not heat up the cooler unnecessarily. With a CLC (or any water cooling setups) your main source of heat will be the radiator, which is often placed at exhaust ports (or even outside).
A good air cooler can match a CLC, but it takes more effort from your part.

Personally, I will never be interested in a CLC as long as the rads are Al. I know a proper Cu rad will for certain jack up the price, but I'm sure peeps like CM or Corsair can work some magic.

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Generation differences are not "marketing hype and RGB," the pump is different in every generation except between 5/6. Flow rate was improved between most generations as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asetek

Flowrate is not the only factor in noise levels.
Your saying flowrate was improved has no supporting data anywhere that I know of, so unless you can post links to what the flowrate and lift are it's means nothing but that it is advertising hype to me.

Yes, flowrate is only one part of performance, but when CLC flowrates are a fraction of what all custom loop pumps flow and the total lack of any pump performance specificatons to me means Asetek (and other CLC OEMs) don't what consumer knowing how poorly they perform.

Sure, Asetek has made a few changes, but without having any published specifications of flowrate, lift, noise, we have no way of knowing what their product's performs is . Look around at other water cooling pumps and the only ones not publishing the above information are CLCs. AIO and H2O custom loop component pumps all give their performance specifications, just like most fans have their performance specificatons published. Again, it's only CLCs that don't tell us their pump specs.

Alphacool OEM for be quiet! Silent Loop and their own Aisbaer AIOs publsh their pump specs as 72 L/h & 1 meter head and 100 L/h & 0.6 meter head.

Swiftech AIO pumps are rated 660 L/h & 2.8 meter head.

EK-D5 pump is rated 1500 L/h & 3.9 meter head.

So Alphacool OEM has almost twice the flowrate of Asetek, Swiftech is more than 10 times more flow, and D5 is more than 20 times more flow .. now if flow was not important why are all but CLC pumps flowing so much more coolant?

Your link doesn't give anything but some lip-service about mostly cosmetic changes, just like I keep saying. I've talked to Asetek reps several times over the years and they can't give me or any other consumer any pump specifications .. either because they don't know or because of disclosure agreements.

You ssid
Quote:
Flowrate is not the only factor in noise levels or in performance, so using it as a barometer is kind of silly. Yeah, they're really low compared to a real loop but I don't get mad if my dog doesn't moo.
So you are admitting CLCs are not 'real loops'.

Not silly at all. Reason for posting range of pump flowrates was to show just how extremely below the norm CLC pump flowrates are. That CLCs are water cooling loops is a fact. How poorly they perform compared to other H2O loops is the point.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 03-14-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
no one connects a D5 to a single radiator.

the pumps are designed per function. You don't need 5 radiators & 6 blocks worth of pump if you've only got one dinky little radiator.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 388 (Unique: 267)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
no one connects a D5 to a single radiator.

the pumps are designed per function. You don't need 5 radiators & 6 blocks worth of pump if you've only got one dinky little radiator.
I beg your pardon....I use a D5 with a single rad in my loop.

Mind you.....I downsized my build and loop and used the D5 since I had it on hand. But, I may well have used a D5 anyway, simply for the reliability aspect, and the fact that I find the tonality of them far less intrusive than smaller pumps.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
I have
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
All NF A14 PWM fan (beige)
2x intake front to HDD bay
3x intake top (mesh) to inside PC case
1x exhaust rear
2x front are good, top are probably making things worse, not better, rear exhaust is probably not making much difference.

You could try removing all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus more front to back airflow moving more cool air to GPU and moving GPU's heated exhaust back and out of case.

What CPU cooler and GPU cooler are you using?

I'm not getting that great of temps to my cooler, even with a positive air pressure config.
What cooler?

Do you have data on the H150i or any of the Gen 6 pumps?
Asetek does not publish their pump specificatons, so we have very little to go on. That said their pumps are likely 40-60 L/h at most .. that's about the same flowrate as a healthing adult urine flowrate.

H360 x3 is better?
Do you mean three 360 radiators? Case will not flow air through case with that many radiators. Cases only flow as much as the lessor of the two; intake area vs exhaust area. So if case has 7x 140mm vents it can only flow about 3 vent's of airflow .. 4x vents in to 3x vents out is only 3x vents of airflow .. 3x vents in to 4x vent's otu is sitll only 3x vent's airflow.
You might find below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest .. if you haven't already read it.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Any temp comparison and overall QC comparison?
I used a Luxe for awhile and found it had good airflow and cooling.

How about the reliability of the cooler without maintenance (no drain/refill)?
Liquid cooling needs servicing and maintance. Same as automotive and other water cooled applications do.

The issue is that I'm unwilling to disassemble the open loop at all.
Then you are probably better off using a good air cooled setup that is easier to keep clean .. like one with good intake filters that you vacuum off at least once a month.

The Phoenix struck my interest since it's advertised as prebuilt and can easily add a GPU block if need be.
I'm not really up to date on how good/badd Phoenix is, but it will need servicing same as any other good H2O loop does.

I'm not sure how maintenance free it is though. And it's more expensive than all the options for CLCs. Even when buying H150i + EVGA hybrid kit.
Answer above, it is not maintanance free.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 60 (Unique: 47)
Hi,
Every assembled loop kit has a single d5 and single rad
Some do have the low end pump but these are really budget kits but still single rad.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Melcar View Post

Personally, I will never be interested in a CLC as long as the rads are Al. I know a proper Cu rad will for certain jack up the price, but I'm sure peeps like CM or Corsair can work some magic.
the radiator is just one of the parts for heat removal. If the implementation of the IHS is poor like intel then you are going to be limited to the amount of heat that can actually be absorbed. Having a copper rad isn't going to help that. Only way a copper rad will help is if the rest of the system can extract enough heat for the difference in thermal conductivity to be of advantage. Alu can dissipate heat better than copper as it is of a lower density. There is more to cooling that just the rad.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 533 (Unique: 302)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
I beg your pardon....I use a D5 with a single rad in my loop.

Mind you.....I downsized my build and loop and used the D5 since I had it on hand. But, I may well have used a D5 anyway, simply for the reliability aspect, and the fact that I find the tonality of them far less intrusive than smaller pumps.
you aren't the target market for these devices.

its a product for new users. New gaming users, new performance chasing users, etc.

Most folks (depending on age) started with a giant air cooler, then an AIO back in the late 2000s, early 201xs.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in