Updating/Upgrading all fans on case and aio's - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Updating/Upgrading all fans on case and aio's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Pedros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,076
Rep: 31 (Unique: 28)
Updating/Upgrading all fans on case and aio's

So ... the day as come where i'm so fed up with the fans i have. Currently, i have Coolermaster Masterfan Air Flow and Air Pressure fans and they are so noisy ... either from the actual noise of the bearing and from the structure of the fan itself, since the fan oscillation makes it sometimes contact the case chassis and ... it's just meh!

So, upgrading all this stuff ... it's going to be painful ...

4 x 140mm Airflow fans ( bottom and top of the case for intake/exhaust )
4 x 140mm Air Pressure fans ( front of the case, push/pull for x62 )
2 x 120mm Air Pressure fans ( rear of the case, push/pull for Seahawk X )

I was looking for the existing fans in the market ... without RGB ... I was thinking about the Noctua's Industrial or the Silent Wings 3, but i'm more into the SW3 for the price difference.

Any pieces of advice here? Other fans that are worth considering?

"Oh...your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker."
Pedros is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 AM
To The Game
 
Chargeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,315
Rep: 288 (Unique: 197)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pedros View Post
So ... the day as come where i'm so fed up with the fans i have. Currently, i have Coolermaster Masterfan Air Flow and Air Pressure fans and they are so noisy ... either from the actual noise of the bearing and from the structure of the fan itself, since the fan oscillation makes it sometimes contact the case chassis and ... it's just meh!

So, upgrading all this stuff ... it's going to be painful ...

4 x 140mm Airflow fans ( bottom and top of the case for intake/exhaust )
4 x 140mm Air Pressure fans ( front of the case, push/pull for x62 )
2 x 120mm Air Pressure fans ( rear of the case, push/pull for Seahawk X )

I was looking for the existing fans in the market ... without RGB ... I was thinking about the Noctua's Industrial or the Silent Wings 3, but i'm more into the SW3 for the price difference.

Any pieces of advice here? Other fans that are worth considering?
I'd avoid filling up every fan spot and instead try to keep an airflow path (try to avoid having fans fight each other). I'd look into hooking the fans up to a controller or your mobo. I run my case fans off my mobo and usually have a fairly conservative curve set. A well set curve can go a long way to keeping your fan noise under check. I normally set a max fan speed of 80% on my case fans and even lower on my cpu fans.

Worth mentioning pretty much all fans will get annoying if you allow them to hit their max. I don't see a reason to go for silent/low rpm fans when you can get good higher rpm pwm fans and limit the max fan speed. Those Noctua's are really good fans but make sure to limit them to 70 - 80% otherwise they'll sound like jet engines.
Chargeit is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 AM
The last VRM burner
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 990
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
https://imgur.com/FoO8sME.jpg


https://imgur.com/pf8F4F3.jpg


Two pictures which should interest you.

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX660 2048MB DDR5/192bit SuperClocked 1101MHz/1505MHz
RAM
2x KHX2400C11D3/8GX 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro
Hard Drive
Toshiba HDWD10 (P300)
Power Supply
Corsair CS650M
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis + Arctic Cooling MX4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
SteelSeries QCk Mini
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808
Audio
AKG K240 Studio 1st rev
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300
▲ hide details ▲
BroadPwns is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,345
Rep: 946 (Unique: 582)
push/pull on an AIO is a waste, the rad isn't nearly thick enough and the fins aren't dense enough for it to be needed. I ran push/pull on my H115i for a bit and went back to push only.

I like my NF-A14 iPPC-3000s (but I rarely run them more than 20-30% unless I'm benching) but they're not cheap. The Bitfenix Specre Pros, Silent Wings, EK Vardar, NB eLoops, and Corsair ML Pro fans are good too.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Shooting down fallacies
 
ciarlatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 6,580
Rep: 376 (Unique: 260)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pedros View Post
So ... the day as come where i'm so fed up with the fans i have. Currently, i have Coolermaster Masterfan Air Flow and Air Pressure fans and they are so noisy ... either from the actual noise of the bearing and from the structure of the fan itself, since the fan oscillation makes it sometimes contact the case chassis and ... it's just meh!

So, upgrading all this stuff ... it's going to be painful ...

4 x 140mm Airflow fans ( bottom and top of the case for intake/exhaust )
4 x 140mm Air Pressure fans ( front of the case, push/pull for x62 )
2 x 120mm Air Pressure fans ( rear of the case, push/pull for Seahawk X )

I was looking for the existing fans in the market ... without RGB ... I was thinking about the Noctua's Industrial or the Silent Wings 3, but i'm more into the SW3 for the price difference.

Any pieces of advice here? Other fans that are worth considering?
You should be more into the SW3 due to the performance difference. The Noctua iPPC don't stack up as the charts @BroadPwns pointed out show. And, as noted by @ThePook , push/pull on a CLC is pretty much a waste of time that does nothing but add noise.

And you need to not think in terms of "airflow" and "air pressure" fans. What you need to look at is the PQ relative to the application. Since your case is going to have some restriction (in most cases equal to a rad), the things marketed as "airflow" fans usually can't overcome it to move a proper amount of air.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Last edited by ciarlatano; 03-20-2019 at 12:33 PM.
ciarlatano is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
poah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: in a house
Posts: 460
Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
arctic P12 and P14.
poah is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli
 
The Pook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 15,345
Rep: 946 (Unique: 582)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
@ThePOO k




Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲


The Pook is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
ACleverName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 327
Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Pook View Post


Lol i noticed that

Just Roll With It
ACleverName is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Melcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Merida
Posts: 8,223
Rep: 635 (Unique: 437)
Agree with others on the push/pull. Not worth it on a CLC.

If you don't care much about looks, the ML140/120 two packs can't be beat for the price. I have not used the fans, but Thermalbench (which I regard very highly) has them among their best. Many people don't like the fans however.

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
Melcar is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:09 PM
4th gear
 
keikei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,341
Rep: 308 (Unique: 235)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
I'd avoid filling up every fan spot and instead try to keep an airflow path (try to avoid having fans fight each other). I'd look into hooking the fans up to a controller or your mobo. I run my case fans off my mobo and usually have a fairly conservative curve set. A well set curve can go a long way to keeping your fan noise under check. I normally set a max fan speed of 80% on my case fans and even lower on my cpu fans.

Worth mentioning pretty much all fans will get annoying if you allow them to hit their max. I don't see a reason to go for silent/low rpm fans when you can get good higher rpm pwm fans and limit the max fan speed. Those Noctua's are really good fans but make sure to limit them to 70 - 80% otherwise they'll sound like jet engines.
I nearly went and bought $ sound dampening material, when i found it was possible to tweak the fan speed in the bios a few weeks back. No need to hit 100% fan speed when not necessary. Great advice.
keikei is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off