Arctic P12/P14 vs Bequiet SW3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Arctic P12/P14 vs Bequiet SW3

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Arctic P12/P14 vs Bequiet SW3

Hi All,

I've just signed up because I've been reading these forums a lot lately.

I've got two irritating noises coming from my PC which is in a Meshify C that I want to resolve, the first comes from the OEM cooler and I've ordered a Bequiet Dark Rock 4 to replace it.

The second is a constant resonating noise that seems to go up and down in pitch, I am certain its because the fans (2 x Arctic P14 intake and 1 x Arctic P12 exhaust) mount the frame directly to the chassis

I also have pretty bad OCD and now the case fans need to match the cooler, I think I'm just going to get a low speed Bequiet Silent Wings 120MM PWM exhaust and leave it at low speeds to keep noise down but in terms of 2 x High Speed 140MM Bequiet Silent Wings intakes are these a complete side grade compared to the Arctics, maybe even a slight downgrade considering the price or have I misunderstood and they are better than the Arctic's?

I do like the Arctic fans, they look and feel a bit cheap but they do the job well, just that resonating and the need to have everything match getting the better of me, the other alternative was to get all Arctic Bionix P series and a Freezer E34 Duo but Ti'm not sure I like the look of them, bit too gamer style for me or is it worth getting over the looks and going for a full Arctic Bionix/E34 setup? I can cancel the Bequiet Dark 4 if need be

Thanks for any help and advice

Last edited by Relentless81; 03-22-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
About that irritating noise:

The fans are currently mounted with their hard plastic frame directly touching the metal of the case? You can then fix the issue by mounting them in a way that there's rubber or silicone between them and the metal. There's "rubber screws" products that replace the normal metal screws. Another method is enlarging the mounting holes in the metal of the case so that you can put rubber grommets into the holes.

EDIT:

I wonder if you can perhaps get a Scythe Mugen 5 for a good price where you are. It's a great CPU cooler. You could put an Arctic P12 on it to satisfy the need of having the same fans everywhere.

Last edited by deepor; 03-22-2019 at 03:30 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by deepor View Post
About that irritating noise:

The fans are currently mounted with their hard plastic frame directly touching the metal of the case? You can then fix the issue by mounting them in a way that there's rubber or silicone between them and the metal. There's "rubber screws" products that replace the normal metal screws. Another method is enlarging the mounting holes in the metal of the case so that you can put rubber grommets into the holes.

EDIT:

I wonder if you can perhaps get a Scythe Mugen 5 for a good price where you are. It's a great CPU cooler. You could put an Arctic P12 on it to satisfy the need of having the same fans everywhere.
Yes they are mounted directly to the case using the supplied metal screws. I didnt know you can get rubber screws, I might look at that if I decide to keep costs down but it will probably bug me that the case fans are different to the cooler, I know its weird but thats just the way I'm wired. I definitely dont want to modify the case.

I ruled out the Mugen 5, I know its a good cooler but I want an all black cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
The Be Quiet's are a slight upgrade compared to Arctic, so you can't go wrong with them. they also have anti-vibrate mounting integrated so that simplifies things.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Those Artics are so quiet! Starting hear them just over 1200 rpm, but no disturbing noise, even at full speed. I mounted two p12 on my gpu GTX 1060.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
The Be Quiet's are a slight upgrade compared to Arctic, so you can't go wrong with them. they also have anti-vibrate mounting integrated so that simplifies things.
Do you know of any reviews or tests comparing the two?

The specs on the Bequiets in terms of performance seems slightly less than the Arctic's on paper, the exhaust I'm not fussed about, happy to have a low spinning fan there just the intakes need to move as much air possible
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 390 (Unique: 269)
Quote: Originally Posted by Relentless81 View Post

The specs on the Bequiets in terms of performance seems slightly less than the Arctic's on paper, the exhaust I'm not fussed about, happy to have a low spinning fan there just the intakes need to move as much air possible
Box specs are about as meaningful to actual performance as the user's favorite flavor of Pop Tarts. They are wildly erratic, and aren't necessarily standardized.

The Arctics are getting good feedback in terms of being very good price/performance fans. The problem is, there isn't a single credible review of them out there, and user feedback here doesn't compare them to any top tier fans. Saying "I upgraded to P12/P14 from a really bad fan and they are so much better even though I didn't run any controlled tests of any kind!!!!!" really doesn't mean anything except that you had really bad fans before the P12/P14 and that you are probably really highly susceptible to placebo effects. With the exception of being able to be fairly certain that they are a good low priced fan, everything about the P12 and P14 are a mystery.

However.....if there as a $10 fan as good as an SW3 (which is arguably the best fan series available right now), don't you think the review sites would be exploding with the news? I'm waiting until I see results from the likes of VSG before passing judgement, but I would be willing to bet that the SW3 would be a fairly significant upgrade in performance, and more so in sound signature.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
not between the two directly no. The problem you'll find is the arctic fans are actually really quite good in performance and price. Spending £25 on a fan is not going to make your system actually any better. You will still be below the max temp for the CPU/graphics card.

I would check the fans are actually causing the issue. I've used the arctic fans on several cases, coolers and radiators and never got any sort of vibration.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I think I'm just going to get them, if anything out of curiosity to see if it fixes the resonating noise, if it doesn't then I have matching fans

I double checked the specs, the bq's have slightly better airflow but a little less static pressure, meaningless anyway as has been mentioned previously they probably won't make any difference to temps with either setup but it's more likely to be better than worse so I'll risk it
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
I think I'm just going to get them, if anything out of curiosity to see if it fixes the resonating noise, if it doesn't then I have matching fans

I double checked the specs, the bq's have slightly better airflow but a little less static pressure, meaningless anyway as has been mentioned previously they probably won't make any difference to temps with either setup but it's more likely to be better than worse so I'll risk it
Educated guess is you will find Silent Wings 3 will sound quieter while actually being about the same dB SPL .. meaning the Silent Wings 3 have a more pleasant sound profiles so our ears don't notice it as much.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in