Amp. and voltage on GPU fan port. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Amp. and voltage on GPU fan port.

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Amp. and voltage on GPU fan port.

Does any1 know what are usually the specs for the mini fan port on the GPUs?

I have a gtx 1080 strix, and going for the 2x120mm fan mod. Found this aswell https://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini...n-Adapter.html so i dont have to struggle with the ports from the motherboard.

The 2xcha_fan ports on the strix start at 60°C, and pushes straight 12v, and the GPU tweakII never worked, so it's not an option to use.....

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by Shenhua; 03-22-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 635 (Unique: 437)
I always assume 1 amp like most regular motherboard ports. Some claim 2A, but just to be safe keep it below 1A. You could check the amp rating of the stock fans and use something with a similar or lower amp rating.
Even safer still, is to use a powered PWM splitter and hook up fans. This way you can connect even several case fans and control them with you video card's PWM signal.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Melcar; 03-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
What Melcar said. Use a PWM splitter that uses PSU power. That way fans are powered by PSU and speed controlled by PWM so no worries about overloading fan header.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
What Melcar said. Use a PWM splitter that uses PSU power. That way fans are powered by PSU and speed controlled by PWM so no worries about overloading fan header.
Ye, that's the next option, but i will try to figure out, just for a cleaner job. I really had high hopes you would know.

Anyway im planning to use 2xsw3 pwm non high-speed. They're power consumption is around 0.12A, so there's that...

Question 1: if i buy sw3 high speed and run them at the same speed as the non high speed, the power consumption should be around the same right? I don't plan to run them any higher than 1200-1300rpm (it's lower than both max cus one it's 1450 and the other 2200), but i thought that having so much headroom and despite being the same fan, might be a bit more silent or have higher longevity.

Question 2: im watching at the graphs in technical data for the sw3 120mm high speed. The fan at max is 2200 RPM, but it shows it can start at around 200+. It's that bull****, or it's actually possible?

Offtopic: By the way im looking at nf a14 and sw3 140mm high-speed and the nf a14 is 0.13A and the sw3 0.5A. Why so much difference?? I thought they should be closer to each other.......much closer.

As always, tnx for the help.

Last edited by Shenhua; 03-23-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
I always assume 1 amp like most regular motherboard ports. Some claim 2A, but just to be safe keep it below 1A. You could check the amp rating of the stock fans and use something with a similar or lower amp rating.
Even safer still, is to use a powered PWM splitter and hook up fans. This way you can connect even several case fans and control them with you video card's PWM signal.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Tnx

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 635 (Unique: 437)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
Ye, that's the next option, but i will try to figure out, just for a cleaner job. I really had high hopes you would know.

Anyway im planning to use 2xsw3 pwm non high-speed. They're power consumption is around 0.12A, so there's that...

Question 1: if i buy sw3 high speed and run them at the same speed as the non high speed, the power consumption should be around the same right? I don't plan to run them any higher than 1200-1300rpm (it's lower than both max cus one it's 1450 and the other 2200), but i thought that having so much headroom and despite being the same fan, might be a bit more silent or have higher longevity.

Question 2: im watching at the graphs in technical data for the sw3 120mm high speed. The fan at max is 2200 RPM, but it shows it can start at around 200+. It's that bull****, or it's actually possible?

Offtopic: By the way im looking at nf a14 and sw3 140mm high-speed and the nf a14 is 0.13A and the sw3 0.5A. Why so much difference?? I thought they should be closer to each other.......much closer.

Different fan designs and different motors being used. However, the fans end up using less than that:
Quote:
With a safety current rating of 0.5 A (6 W) but a more practical input current rating of 0.14 A (1.68 W) including start up boost, these are quite efficient. In practice, they drew 0.067-0.074 A (0.80-0.89 W) each on average for the DC and PWM versions respectively at full speed during operation.
Source

That same site also has a review on the 120mm version.

Keep in mind that the airflow inside your case needs to support these high speed fans. Even if you run them at low speeds, that will be 100cfm or so you will be pushing. Do your case fans provide +100cfm? Running them at full blast may not scale in cooling performance.

I have 2x120mm Cougar Vortex fans on my GPU and I rarely need to run them higher than 1200rpm. At full speed they do nearly nothing in terms of increased cooling. I tried using some Vardars too (3K rpm) and they behaved the same; cooling performance did not scale that well past 1000-1200rpm. As is my case simply does not have as much airflow to support such big high speed fans (3x140mm PH-F140MP).

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
Different fan designs and different motors being used. However, the fans end up using less than that:
Source

That same site also has a review on the 120mm version.

Keep in mind that the airflow inside your case needs to support these high speed fans. Even if you run them at low speeds, that will be 100cfm or so you will be pushing. Do your case fans provide +100cfm? Running them at full blast may not scale in cooling performance.

I have 2x120mm Cougar Vortex fans on my GPU and I rarely need to run them higher than 1200rpm. At full speed they do nearly nothing in terms of increased cooling. I tried using some Vardars too (3K rpm) and they behaved the same; cooling performance did not scale that well past 1000-1200rpm. As is my case simply does not have as much airflow to support such big high speed fans (3x140mm PH-F140MP).
I have a Meshify C, with 2x140 sw3 running at about 800-900 max speed. And yes the case do not restrict the fans at all. The temps in my GPU scale very well with the speed of the front intake, up to the max 1600rpm almost linearly. Ofc the fan design of the GPU helps a lot (1080strix) Same situation with MSI gaming X, and the improvements are non existent, because the fan is "closed in".

However since the 120mm are much thicker, i dont think I'll be able to push, the same level of airflow bellow the GPU, (at least not in the current configuration), but I'll place another 120mm, bellow those 2, and remove the PSU shroud cap.

As i said, I'm only considering buying the high speed version for longevity or more silent operation, they won't go any higher than 1200-1300rpm, because of noise, that being the same reason I'm considering the mod. The fans on the GPU go to 1800+ and while the temps stay bellow 70°C, they are noisy AF.

Last edited by Shenhua; 03-24-2019 at 02:38 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1636 (Unique: 918)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post

Maxunyn fan power consumption is startup load, and most fan power consumption ratings are running load, not startup. Startup amp load is 2 to 3 times more than running amp load. My guess is the SW3 0.5A is max load at startup and the 0.13A of NF-A14 is running load. Best example of published load for both startup and running load ratings are Gentle Typhoon specs from Nidec Servo. Other times fans draw extreme load happen is if bearings are locking up, somthing is stuck in the fan, etc. Most of my systems have fans rated for significantly higher rpm than they ever run .. IE normal maximum running rpm is about 1050-1150rpm and fans are rated at least 1300rpm, many are 1600rpm and one system has fans rated to 2500rpm. I like having more fan speed available than normally used for those rare times I'm running high load applicatiions in hot weather with dirty filters.

Stating at 200rpm is definitely possible. Fans normally draw higher load to startup than to run, and will idle at lower voltage than needed to start once they are spinning .. a fan might require a startup load of 0.3 amp but once spinning can be lowered to about 0.2 amp and keep spinning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gentle Typhon 12v -Nidec fan spec sm.png
Views:	2
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	261236  

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in