Silverstone AP183 is out (aka WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Silverstone AP183 is out (aka WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU)

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Silverstone AP183 is out (aka WHAT WAS THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU)

Might have been mentioned and if so my apologies, but as per title;

The AP183 is out!
For me and three more people the whole world over, the next version of this auditory beast is out apparently!
Reminisce that constant ring in your ears after a Motorhead concert!
Enjoy a worry-free life experience! You'll no longer be able to hear her speak! Or shout, come to that!
Show that pesky AMD CPU just who's the boss around here!

Now with full PWM support (yes sir, i kid you not), 1500RPM (up from 1200), a reduced operational amperage of 0.3A (down from 0.45A) and dual ball bearing on top! They won't specify startup voltage of course, but who cares anyway, it's only wires! It may not be Christmas, but it sure feels like it!
Crank that fiend all the way up and go deaf in style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ap183-01.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	261260

Name:	ap183-02.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	261262

Name:	ap183-03.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	261264

https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=847&area=en

Pride, honour and purity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Aenra View Post
Might have been mentioned and if so my apologies, but as per title;

The AP183 is out!
For me and three more people the whole world over, the next version of this auditory beast is out apparently!
Enjoy a worry-free life experience! You'll no longer be able to hear her speak! Or shout, come to that!
Show that pesky AMD CPU just who's the boss around here!

Now with full PWM support (yes sir, i kid you not), 1500RPM (up from 1200), a reduced operational amperage of 0.3A (down from 0.45A) and dual ball bearing on top! They won't specify startup voltage of course, but who cares anyway, it's only wires! It may not be Christmas, but it sure feels like it!
Crank that fiend all the way up and go deaf in style.

Attachment 261260

Attachment 261262

Attachment 261264

https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=847&area=en
Looks really cool.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
Not sure how I feel about this fan. The FM182 is the better radiator fan due to it not having the grill (grill offers directional airflow at the cost of airflow, static pressure, and noise. Radiators act as airflow straighteners, so it's redundant and hurts performance). The AP182 is the better airflow fan due to it's 2krpm rotational speed.

While PWM is nice, big fans like these are typically run at a fixed rpm and left alone (thinking MO-RA/Phobya extreme rads and the 180mm x1-3 rads as well as case fans on the applicable raven/fortress series). On the other hand, PWM is actually a nice addition because I remember reading about how these fans were a challenge to control by most motherboard/fan controllers, and only the included fan controller gave you the range. That might have been just the AP182, though. Hopefully, the PWM curve scales linearly on these fans.

Dual ball bearings, while durable and long-lasting, are loud compared to FDB-type bearings. Can't knock off power consumption, though. These big fans are power hogs and the lower the better.

But in the grand scheme of things, these are a successor to the dated AP181s. I'm just unimpressed at the revision. Lower power consumption is about all we get. The AP181s undervolt nicely, and anything over ~1krpm is pretty noisy on these fans. A quieter bearing and revised fan blade would have been welcome additions. These fans can vibrate a good bit, so some dampening on the corners would be nice as well.

The ideal 180mm fan would be for me:
500-2krpm range PWM
Improved blade design (basically, a shrunk down A20 fan)
Detachable grill
Integrated rubber dampening
Integrated fan controller to toggle between say 800, 1200, 2000rpm (think FHP141)
FDB bearings
"Universal" mounting holes. So, picture the Thermaltake 200mm fan. Now picture an extension adaptor that you screw into all 4 corners that is slotted to accomodate all large fan mounting locations.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Wyrd+Passive Preamp | Emotiva Mini-X A100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 03-24-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

I want to reply in caps and keep the deaf theme going, lol, but i'll refrain ^^
Now as to your remarks.. seriously?

Why would you buy the equivalent of a Fatboy and downclock it to a Piaggio? Why would you, today of all times, even consider a 180fan radiator? And why, assuming you did anyhow, would you even consider this kind of fan to run on a radiator?
You use this to complement an air cooler and/or increase intake airflow and/or ensure even less of a temp delta between ambient and case temps. That's it.
As you mentioned, that grill in the back, kinda says it all, uses-wise
None of this makes sense, you do grasp that.

As to noise, yeah, it's noisy. So's the fatboy. Which is why you bought it, isn't it; in part anyway.
On principle, i agree about the dampening, but it's so easy and cheap to implement it yourself that frankly? I'm not even sure i'd care for it, would only drive the cost up and for a solution that may or may not be superior to what you could accomplish on your own.
Also, you don't just get lower power; you get a significantly increased lifetime compared to the older models (still lower than other 180 fans, but then again, they spin at 800 at best) and most of all, higher CFM and pressure. Without that accursed potentiometer, which i do admittedly despise, lol.. just nice, plain ole PWM here.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Never Finished

I want to reply in caps and keep the deaf theme going, lol, but i'll refrain ^^
Now as to your remarks.. seriously?

Why would you buy the equivalent of a Fatboy and downclock it to a Piaggio? Why would you, today of all times, even consider a 180fan radiator? And why, assuming you did anyhow, would you even consider this kind of fan to run on a radiator?
You use this to complement an air cooler and/or increase intake airflow and/or ensure even less of a temp delta between ambient and case temps. That's it.
Hmmm. The first question, I'd say because it's loud? Certain circumstances could facilitate the need for a higher fan speed (benchmark runs, troubleshooting, etc.). Then again, I'm not too sure by what you mean by fatboy and piaggio. I'm thinking loud (harley), and quiet (moped). Maybe you mean big and small. Regardless, these large fans are awesome on 1080/1260mm radiators. You can run 4 of these instead of 9 120-140mm fans, so cable management, maintenance, noise, and deadzone is better, though I'm not too sure on the deadzone part. They also perform really well on these large radiators, especially when noise is the priority on something that large. You can get large fans like these, run them really low and still get excellent temperatures.

The 180mm fans can only be used in a select number of cases, all of which are silverstone cases, unless there are a couple that support them that I don't know about. Silverstone's 180mm fans on their fortress and raven cases perform just fine, and swapping in the AP183 won't change that. Phanteks and Thermaltake cases won't fit this fan because of the nearly proprietary mounting holes. Kinda like how the old NZXT phantom 200mm fan could only fit in NZXT cases because of the mounting holes.

Quote:
As to noise, yeah, it's noisy. So's the fatboy. Which is why you bought it, isn't it; in part anyway.
A selling point of large fans is being able to have a lot of airflow while being able to spin them low. Spinning them up faster to interrupting noise levels contradicts that. But hey, that's just me. Still, the AP182 is a monster regardless of what I think. That's an awesome fan.

Quote:
On principle, i agree about the dampening, but it's so easy and cheap to implement it yourself that frankly? I'm not even sure i'd care for it, would only drive the cost up and for a solution that may or may not be superior to what you could accomplish on your own.
Well, there isn't much to some silicone stuck on some corners. Just slap it on there and charge an extra dollar. I'd be down with that. Large fans like to vibrate. Having some dampening will help with that a lot.

Quote:
Also, you don't just get lower power; you get a significantly increased lifetime compared to the older models (still lower than other 180 fans, but then again, they spin at 800 at best) and most of all, higher CFM and pressure. Without that accursed potentiometer, which i do admittedly despise, lol.. just nice, plain ole PWM here.
The higher cfm and pressure is due to the increased rotational speed. Increased lifetime can be attributed by the dbb. AP181s had sleeves. The AP181s didn't sound too bad, but with DBB, they're going to get the low frequency growl which I can't stand.

Can't lie on the fan controller, that thing is a PITA. That's why PWM sounds so good on these fans. We can use PWM controllers now haha. But like I said, hopefully the curve scales linearly without the use of some type of stepdown resistor.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Wyrd+Passive Preamp | Emotiva Mini-X A100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 03-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 33)
The best thing is that its PWM, now you could power them via the sata power PWM splitters and not worry about the current draw.

Looking forward to the release, hope we see a FT06 with them.

GAME - Intel i9 9900K | AsRock Z390 Tachi | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | Samsung 970Pro 1TB + Samsung 860Pro 4TB
SIM - Intel i7 8700K | AsRock Z370 ITX/AC | Corsair 16GB DDR3000 | MSI RTX2080ti Duke | AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
SB - Intel i9 7940X | AsRock X299 Fatal1ty | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus GTX1660Ti
WS - AMD 1950X | AsRock X399 Taichi | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | 9271-8i 22TB Raid6 | Intel 900p 480GB
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 378 (Unique: 262)
If only it could bring Lemmy back..... I'd like to say "too young", "such a shock", etc, but the guy seriously walked the walk. Actually, he ran the walk. At full speed. At all times. And was a genius while doing it, a great influencer and loved by other musicians.

The fan looks good, too, btw.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Never Finished

Silverstone showcased a raven prototype case with the AP183s:

Pretty funky layout. Reminds me a lot of the RV03, but without the 5.25" bays. I should've gotten that case while it was still produced. That would have made for a great little fileserver. With 7 5.25" bays, you could fit 11x 3.5" hotswap backplanes

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
At full speed
Yeap.. took what's an inevitable trainwreck of a lifestyle and managed to stretch it for a full 70 year period; smiling the whole way through. Wish i could say likewise

As to the fan, yeah, me too! Was complaining about their sleeve bearing a few days ago and here we are now.
(big and loud, just something special with that combo, for me anyway)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 95 (Unique: 61)
Hmm that's pretty interesting, also good to see Silverstone making new cases that aren't just generic clones of NZXT (like they had been doing recently)...I wonder if there is going to be a Fortress variation of that Raven case.

These fans would of been nice for my TJ-11 project, but I have like 12 AP181's (actually have about 14, as well as 3x Phobya 900rpm PWM 180's..have quite a collection of 180mm fans actually) that are still fine, so I can't justify replacing them...I have chopped off the fan control wires from them, actually chopped off all wiring atm, I am going to re-wire custom length wires to them, and run some sort of controller to control 12 of them in my project...and also have removed the air penatrator grills from the intake AP181's for my 540mm rads (just snapped them off with my finger, should probably clean up the little jagged bits of plastic sticking out from them, the fans are like FM181's and Cougar CF-V12H's had a love child atm).

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
2700X (XFR2/PBO @ 4.25Ghz ).
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
GTX 1080Ti w/ Raijintek Morpheus.
RAM
G.Skill Flare-X 16GB 3200C14 (Running @ 3466Mhz C15).
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS.
Cooling
Stock cooling....(Custom loop build in progress).
Case
Silverstone TJ11 (Custom loop project)..currently in Lian Li V2000 Plus.
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Catleap Yamakasi Q270B @ 110Hz.
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in