Dark Rock Pro 4 - 120mm fan not spinning - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dark Rock Pro 4 - 120mm fan not spinning

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 317 (Unique: 220)
Dark Rock Pro 4 - 120mm fan not spinning

Hey all!

I purchased my new rig last night and it all works fine, except this one thing: the 120mm fan on the outside of the cooler is not spinning.

When I put all the stuff together, I was eager to get going so at first I did not notice the Y-splitter that came with the cooler. I ended up plugging the middle fan into the "CPU_FAN" header, and the outside fan into the "CPU_OPT" header.

I now understand from looking online that the "CPU_OPT" header is for voltage-controlled cans, whereas the 120mm Silent Wings 3 that was attached to the outside of the cooler is a PWM fan (they're both PWM fans).

I've tried plugging the fan into a couple of the SYS_FAN headers, and I've tried swapping them over in the Y-splitter that I installed once realising my original mistake to no avail. It still won't spin.

When I first put it in there, if I gave it a little nudge with my finger, it appeared as if it received some power momentarily, and it DID spin for about half a second, then stopped again.

Few questions:

- Is it possible I broke the fan by plugging it into the CPU_OPT header initially?
- Is it possible that the fan may be DOA? Is this a common occurrence with fans?

I want to know whether there's anything I can try to resuscitate it, or whether I should submit an RMA for it. Ideally it'd be great to be able to fix it rather than mess around with RMAs but if I have to then so be it.

The temperatures are good with just the middle fan (push-pull) blowing to the exhaust of the case for now, but obviously I'd like that second fan to be there for the extra cooling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by jNSKkK; 04-15-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 410 (Unique: 274)
The fan is DOA, you didn't damage it plugging it into a different header. BQ should be able to RMA just the fan, and you can continue with just the middle fan until the replacement arrives.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 317 (Unique: 220)
Thank you for your reply!

I actually figured out what it was, and it's now working.

The rubber pads that the fan sit on between the fan and the heatsink were touching the fan on the top; I had to take the fan off (a painful process) and move it down slightly to stop the blades from touching the pads.

Bit of a rubbish design - the whole reason I moved the fan up in the first place was to clear the memory enough - but oh well. It works now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1667 (Unique: 927)
What ciarlatano said.
You are one of the rare few to get a dead fan out of the box. I suggest you contact be quiet! customer support and tell them your front fan does not work.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
What ciarlatano said.
You are one of the rare few to get a dead fan out of the box. I suggest you contact be quiet! customer support and tell them your front fan does not work.
Read the post before yours. He accidentally mounted it with the blade against a rubber spacer. Fan is fine.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1667 (Unique: 927)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Read the post before yours. He accidentally mounted it with the blade against a rubber spacer. Fan is fine.
My bad

I did wonder about it as we almost never hear of Be Quiet! sending out a bad fan.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG] My bad

I did wonder about it as we almost never hear of Be Quiet! sending out a bad fan.
True. But it's got to happen eventually...... doesn't it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in