Overclock.net banner

Air Cooler recommendations

4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Shenhua 
#1 ·
This weekend, I switched over to a Ryzen 2600. Today, my AM4 bracket for my Corsair H110 arrived. Today, I installed said bracket and H110 onto my Ryzen 2600.

Then, a funny little noise started happening inside the pump assembly while stress testing it... sort of like random tapping (boiling?). However, it only occurs when running the pump at full speed (1500 RPM) and stress testing the CPU for a long period of time.

Now I am concerned that the pump on my H110 is going out. The only other thing I can think of is maybe I the AS5 I applied is either too old or wasn't put on right, so it's doing something weird between the cold plate and the CPU... only it doesn't happen when the pump runs @ 1200 RPM... *sigh*

So I'm left with 2 options:

1. Try and figure it out and PRAY the pump doesn't die and cause liquid to leak into my system.
2. Abandon the H110 and get an air cooler.

TL;DR

I need recommendations for an air cooler, one that I can potentially use on a new, higher end Ryzen 2 when its released.

Budget? $100 or less. I'm not picky. RAM is low profile-ish (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz). All 4 RAM slots are filled.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk

Recommendations?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,
110i GT ?
Mine and three other friends all went out after 30 months of use
Good thing was warranty is 60 months so we all got new replacement I personally sold mine.

#3 ·
Nope. Just a plain old Corsair H110. No i. No GT. It's old, and I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

Newegg says I ordered it on 11/29/2013.

5 year warranty, so I'm about 5 months out of warranty. :(

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT! I still have mine sitting in the closet for when the pump inevitably dies on my H115i Pro. It's a really good cooler and doesn't block any RAM slots, it's about on par with the NH-D14/D15 and a bit quieter. Last I checked it's $10-$20 cheaper too.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...T-Air-CPU-Cooler-Review/Performance-and-Concl
Big fan here of the macho, but why do u guys recommend it for ryzen? I know it works just fine, but it has a convex coldplate and the IHS on ryzen is straight flat, which to my eyes means, you either get crappy performance **for a LGM RT**, either get close to breaking the socket tightening the cooler to make full contact.

Am i missing something here?

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk

#11 ·
The world is flat, no need to post proof, just believe me.

"Tightening the screws" would do nothing if the issue was a convex coldplate.

If your cooler is so convex that it breaks your socket then you have a faulty heatsink.

There are extremely few heatsinks with truly flat bases. That's why lapping is thing. But it's flat enough for it to be a non-issue, AMD or Intel makes no difference.

#14 ·
That's pretty good actually.

Honestly, I'm not sure how far I want to push my 2600. Remember, this chip is merely a placeholder until Zen 2 arrives (I "upgraded" from a 4790k). My previous motherboard's BIOS was borked and would always reset after a few computer restarts, so I never really got to play around too much with that 4790k. I want to push it as far as is reasonable (4Ghz 24/7 stable?) but not so far that it causes me headaches.

#15 ·
I opted for a 140mm cooler. Larger fan, so doesnt need to spin fast to cool (quiet). Idles @ 30C and 40C while gaming. Noctua NH-U14S, $63.75.

#16 · (Edited)
The ryzen IHS is not flat btw.. mine def isn't and i've seen people post on here showing lapping a 2700X and getting a decent improvement in temps. The outer edge of the IHS is higher than the center on mine. Apparently when they solder the IHS as it cools it sucks the middle downwards.

Edit: found the post with lapping:

So finally got some free time today and and am please with the results. My 2700x aio cooled during benchmarks would hit 75-78c gaming about 62-68c , now tops about 66c after multi bench runs and 42-52c gaming. Before I used the paste that came on the aio stock see pics now using thermal grizzly kryonoaut applied using there recommended method. Allmost didn't lap the IHS because it stopped right away when I spun it but was skeptical, and already had the sand paper ready. I did this on the glass side panel from the PC case to ensure I was working on a flat surface. As you can see from the pics the outside was higher, down to copper on outside 3 sheets of sand paper in and can still read Ryzen in the middle. Don't mind the little guy in the corner that is my gpu support.

2700x x470-f gaming 1 tb 970 evo gskiils 3200cl14 msi 2080 ti gaming x trio

#17 ·
The ryzen IHS is not flat btw.. mine def isn't and i've seen people post on here showing lapping a 2700X and getting a decent improvement in temps. The outer edge of the IHS is higher than the center on mine. Apparently when they solder the IHS as it cools it sucks the middle downwards.

That's not what I'm saying. I've lapped a handful of CPUs and no IHS on any CPU is perfectly flat, same reason they sell copper IHSes that are milled completely flat for Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake. You can take 100 of the same model CPUs and some will be convex, some concave, and some are a wavy mess.

Saying an entire range of CPUs is concave or convex and will not perform as well compared to another platform is a bunch of baloney.

#19 ·
#22 ·
Its an awesome cooler, you wont be disappointed.

#21 ·
No worries. I think if we can give you more info, the better decision you can make.

#24 ·
Up and running!

The good: Temperatures are fantastic, and the carpet around my computer is very clean.

The bad: Thermalright's mounting system is pretty awful AND I spilled half a bottle of rubbing alcohol into my carpet while installing it. It smells awful.

Running CPU-z stress test, and it's currently showing 51c after running for 5 minutes @ stock. Package on HWmonitor shows 71 watts of power.

That's a few degrees cooler than my H110 was running. Color me impressed.

Attachments

#25 ·
Nice man, looks good! Loving those pipes. You make me want to use my clips, but I am clumsy sometimes when I poke my hand in there.. and nudge the fan. I'm not using the rubber pads and my case is small so its a pita if it comes unclipped.

#26 ·
I have used the Deep cool Neptwin V2 on 2 2700x builds and very impressed with them. Something to think about is cooler reviews can be misleading as I have found out over the years as every system will give different results. So one review might show cooler X perform better than Cooler A,b,c and so on but in a different setup cooler X be worse so keep that in mind. I have never been a Notua fan but it looks like the new Noctua NH-U12A is a monster for it's size as seen here and would give it a look.

#27 · (Edited)
Wish I had a NH-U12A to run some comparisons agianst other simlar sized coolers. It's compact size with high heatpipe count in a small finpack using new NF-A12x25 fans is very impressive.

#29 · (Edited)

This one for me, would be a more representative review of its real performance, since the fan it's not bottlenecking the heatsink capabilities, and also receives enough heat from the CPU.

It's just a better u12s...... with really, really good fans.

He states that he tested without the front panel and filter aswell and the difference it's the same.

#30 ·
Regardless of the cooler you choose, I recommend a better thermal paste. While Arctic Silver claims 8.7 w/mk, it has independently tested at less than 1. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is rated at 12.5 w/mk. It has cooled my systems better than 10C more with every cooler I've used (stock, H60, Artic cooler 120, Kryorig A80, TMG A1, and more).

Very important thing to consider: Will your system ever be shipped, or relocated by movers, where it might be handled less gently? Tower coolers can and will snap loose from the motherboard if the system is dropped or bumped hard while hanging sideways from the MB. UPS managed to break loose a TMG A1 (not exactly the heaviest tower) shipping a very well padded PC within the state. It pulled the CPU out in the process mangling dozens of pins and had to be replaced. The FX-8350 I replaced it with and its STOCK cooler managed 46C under full load with the aforementioned Kryonaut TIM with all 8 cores at 5.1GHz. It wasn't an enthusiasts computer, so I did not overclock it, and the stock cooler is much lighter/low profile.

FYI, I cooled my old 8700K (overclocked to 5.2GHz) on the Arctic Cooler Liquid Freezer 120 and gamed at 45C with Kryonaut.

#31 ·
Indeed aerial, the NF-A12U is seriously over-priced. Problem is there are few others as small with as good cooling. Mugen is small size with similar performance, True Spirit 140 Power is, but it's much taller/wider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.