Looking for help to purchase cooling fans! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for help to purchase cooling fans!

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Looking for help to purchase cooling fans!

Looking for help to purchase cooling fans! Deadline to order final parts for new build with cooling parts is 1st May.
Hi Overclockers. I'm new to this place and being reading up on some of your guides about cooling lately. I've decided against wannabee Custom water cooling = Closed loop for example COrsair H100i white 240 rpg. Only overclocking I've done was with air cooling so I'm new still.

I have all my new build parts sitting in their boxes and I'm still trying to decide what cooling for cpu and case fans I'm wanting to order so I can start building new system in May. At the moment I've come up with some, but it's not final decision. I can let you know what my parts are first and then what fans I've decided at this time. I just want your honest opinion and help as I don't want to screw up my new build. Btw I'm going with a mostly white theme build (monochrome) for looks also.

Parts for new build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Stolly76/saved/XpbvWZ

Case apparently regarding the original Silverstone Primera PM-01 was regarded as an awesome air flow case from GamersNexus with their testing. The newer one is revised with tempered glass side window.

Motherboard has support of ryzen 7 2700x with bios version 1006 and upwards from MSI. I'm part of the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium AM4 owners club for this website. There is some members I've read that they are getting great results finally as of end of last year with bios and support. I wouldn't have ordered this setup with AMD if board had no support which is another reason I waited for price to drop considerably. I paid $176 australian for it brand new. Motherboard has support for Noctua Nh-D15 SE-am4 cpu cooler and case does too with 180mm for cpu cooler. Only thing I'm worried about is my 4 x 8gb Patriot Viper RGB DDR4 3200mhz ram that are 45.4mm in height. I know it should have a couple of mm spare when raising the 2nd fan higher. It might be better if I purchase the 120mm noctua fans instead of the 140mm for more breathing room.

Choices so far for cpu cooler and case fans: Nh-D15 SE-am4 (cpu cooler) I had phanteks PH-TC14PE as another option, but don't think it has the clearance above my ram.

I'm swapping out the brown tan fans for these
Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.Black.swap x 2 (is a high static pressure fan designed to push airflow against substantial resistance, as with a water-cooling radiator or a heatsink)

Also is it a good idea to buy one more of Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.Black.swap to go in the bottom fan spot of the front of case that will hit the hard drive caddy directly under psu shroud? I'm thinking of that plus the 2 fans above for front will be either 2x Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP 120mm 1850(3pin)Non-PWM? or the 2150(4pin) PWM rpm Silent Case Fan or 2x NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap or 2x Nf-s12a pwm chromax.black.swap whatever is best for CFM and low noise combo.

For exhaust I'm thinking of going Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.Black.swap as rear fan with cpu cooler directing heat through it directly into it's path. For top of case I will only go with 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.Black.swap (not 3) as exhaust fans to suck out the hot air through the nice vented system at top (look at case) which shoots out the hot air at back of it. I'm really not sure if this is great as exhaust fans for top of case. I'm not really confident with this and I'm sure you would know best optimal strategy. I'm purchasing Na-HC4 chromax.white Noctua Heatsink covers also to have a nice look of white and black combo with box of NA-SYC1 chromax.white $10 3x y-cables and NA-SEC1 chromax.white $15 30cm extension cables for modding reasons. I look forward to your expertise and really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks in advance,

STolly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Over the last few days I've been reading and watching these:

**Edit I couldn't fix up the issues with spoiler button so just enter in the following in the search bar for Utube. Apologies for limited knowledge of forums experience and how it all operates. First time I've ever had to experience these issues. **

[Case Pressure Explained - Positive vs Neutral vs Negative JayzTwoCents]

[Corsair ML120 and ML140 fans Review KitGuruTech]

[Corsair ML120 and ML140 Magnetic Levitation Fan Review OC3D TV]

www.howtogeek.com/303078/HOW-TO-MANAGE-YOUR-PCS-FANS-FOR-OPTIMAL-AIRFLOW-AND-COOLING/

www.thetechlounge.com/best-case-fans/ [15 best case fans in 2019 80mm-200mm]

[Is Overclocking Safe? JayzTwoCents]

[Custom Waterloop vs Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooling FTW JayzTwoCents]

[Noctua Fans - Are they worth it? - SOund tests and Install Guide TechDeals]

[Noctua Chromax Fans and NH D15 NH U12 Cooler Mod Tops OC3D TV] *This is exactly how I want my CPU cooler (NH-D15 SE AM4) to look like for my monochrome theme*

[This might be my new favourite Air Cooler???!! JayzTwoCents]

[Which Cpu COoler Should You Buy? -Air vs Liquid - 2017 edition TechDeals]

www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data

Please reply with any feedback regarding these links.

Last edited by Stolly76; 04-24-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2720 (Unique: 1616)
Not trying to be rude but please use spoilers when you have that many links otherwise the post becomes very long and takes a while to scroll down

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I didn't expect that to happen sorry. I just copy my bookmarks for my cooling section for hardware and thought they would show up as just normal links not pictures
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
Hi Stolly76

If Phanteks PH-TC14PE is lower priced than NH-D15 SE, I would probably go Phanteks. It's a very good cooler with very good fans.

The case fan reveiw you liked to is maginal at best and quite honestly doesn't even have some of the best fans listed .. like be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, Thermalright Ty-14x sereies, etc.

You might find link below to basic guild of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 636 (Unique: 438)
The case is rather good actually. For fans you only need 3 intakes and the ones for your CPU cooler. I really have no idea if the stock fans on that case are good or not, so you may want to get your own.
For fans, my favorite brands are Phanteks (MP series) and Thermalright (TY series). Noctuas are just too pricey for my taste, but the NF-Ax series is rather good. I would avoid Noctua's ippc series. Corsair's ML fans are surprisingly good and if you don't mind generic grey, the two packs are a good deal.

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Melcar; 04-24-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Madonion.com

Nothing beats Gentle Typhoons. They're EOL since 2014, but I think Corsair makes them under different name, I think Darkside. Not sure if they're as good as the original Scythe GT's though.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Gamer

Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Nothing beats Gentle Typhoons. They're EOL since 2014, but I think Corsair makes them under different name, I think Darkside. Not sure if they're as good as the original Scythe GT's though.
Lol What? Definitely not Corsair. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...Black_Edition/

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Corsair has nothing to do with GT's. Darkside is company that buys GT's from Nidec Servo and sells to consumers like us. GTs are D1225C series of Nidec Servo fans. Nide Servo only sold in large numbers to commercial users .. who may / may not then sell them individually to consumers.

https://www.nidec.com/en-NA/product/...=keywordsearch

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 04-25-2019 at 03:04 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

At the moment after looking around for awhile that cheapest I could get phanteks ph-tc14pe is $109 from PCCaseGear, but have to wait until the black edition with white frames is back in stock until 10/5. I looked at the white version it's most likely more suitable for my theme build and it's available. I then found another site that's cheaper again with $104.46 from PBTech for the white, blue and red editions.

Compared to cheapest I've found for the Noctua Nh-D15 SE-am4 is $119 from ComputerAlliance with their ebay store and 7% discount. The other thing with Noctua is it's too much cost to get extras for the white and black look. $104 is a very decent price for Phanteks. Now I've just gotta check all the measurements with compatibility with my case, board and ram (ram being the worry as my 4x 8gb Patriot Viper RGB ddr4 3200mhz ram is 45.4mm for height.)

I will check the case fans mentioned from Doyll, Melcar and Damage Inc. I've thought about Corsair ML pros as an option about a month ago when researching. I've thought about Gentle Typhoons recently, but never looked up Silent Wings 3 fans, Thermalright Ty-14x and Phanteks MP series. I'm even going to look up the Phanteks fans such as PH F140XP and PH F140SP. I've bookmarked a review from Hitech Legion for PH-F140SP and they have a video for both fans with Overview and Unboxing. Not sure if I"m getting any Noctua fans yet. I will have front 3 for intakes plus 2 on the cpu cooler, but the cpu cooler will need decent static pressure for the heatsink too. Exhausts as rear 140mm and top case 2 x 140mm. Not going to bother with 3rd fan spot at top closest to front. It would steal the cold air coming from the front intake at top as it's just entered from front of case. Thank you for all suggestions guys.

Last edited by Stolly76; 04-25-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in