Anyone mod a Wraith Ripper yet? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Anyone mod a Wraith Ripper yet?

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
Anyone mod a Wraith Ripper yet?

I was just wondering because I think this heatsink can cool a lot better than it does. This is a 160mm tall cooler with very dense heatsink fins (50+ per side) reaching closely to the coldplate. Removing the shroud and rigging up some 140mm fans somehow (rubber bands) should improve the cooling performance a good bit.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
I am intersted in seeing your results.
While I don't expect to see results as good as other coolers, maybe better fans can get it to perform as well as top tier coolers.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
So am I, lol. Problem is I need a threadripper system to play around with.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 303 (Unique: 221)
You only need the cooler to play around. If the fins get hot then sure fans can help if the fins are not warm much just like many air coolers the bottleneck is in die thickness, TIM to IHS, IHS, TIM to cooler and heatpipes. For power hungry systems sure fin area and getting heat out of fins does start to play a bigger role for sure. At prices these coolers probably go for, why not get a different one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thing is a beast by itself TBH I double you need to mod it unless you have the 2990WX overclocked....

I have a 1920x with Cool laboratory Liquid Pro and a AORUS 2080 ti literally so close the bottle connector had to be run a certain way to even fit in a heatbox of a ******* case.... At full load on CPU and GPU with my GPU @ 88 C throttling it won't budge over 74 C, this is with ambient temps at over 80 F as well.... That seems just ok when you consider the max temp for threadripper is 91 C but you also have to remember it over reports temps by 27 C so literally full blast in just about the worse conditions with a $10 mod(liquid metal) the CPU won't even go over 47C, full blase by itself it won't go over 67 C.....

Not to mention the thing is ******* gigantic if you got your hands on it I doubt you would wanna make it much bigger, and ripping it apart would screw up the RGB or at the very least make it look like a much less put together package, but I do agree that it should be getting better temps than much smaller coolers like FRYZEN, maybe it would be better to keep the fan 120mm and just upgrade it to a stronger one.

here is a video of a PC I sold with one in it, yes I know the cable management sucks donkey dick, it's much better on the clone I built after this with an aorus 2080 ti, although the black gaming 2080 ti fit much better with the bottom cable

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Wraith Ripper is not even close to top tier aftermarket coolers. 83.7c for Wraith vs 70.7c for NH-U14S, 79.5c for NH-U12S .. plus Wraith is much louder (5dB), costs much more ($119.99 vs NH-U14S-TR4 is $79.90) and to top it all of Wrath is about 5dB louder at full speed.
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/coole...w-34811-2.html

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Wraith Ripper is not even close to top tier aftermarket coolers. 83.7c for Wraith vs 70.7c for NH-U14S, 79.5c for NH-U12S .. plus Wraith is much louder (5dB), costs much more ($119.99 vs NH-U14S-TR4 is $79.90) and to top it all of Wrath is about 5dB louder at full speed.
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/coole...w-34811-2.html
yeah but muh RGB

but on a serious note taking into account, wraith ripper probably uses different thermal compound, and the NH-U14S has 2 fans it's close tot he performance of the NH-U12S stock the point of this thread is to improve the performance since

A. it looks cooler than both those two coolers

B. has features those other 2 do not

obviously it's fans run at a much higher RPM but who is to say with the proper compound and a different fan setup, whether it be 1 or 2 or 3 it couldn't do better or close to the NH-U14S and offer the benefits it has over that cooler while performing better

this thread isn't about glorifying the ripper, when I bought it I knew what I was getting and that was the only decent RGB cooler for the TR4 socket and the ability to namedrop my expensive socket/CPU to onlookers as well as cool looks. If you are spending the minimum buy in to tr4 which is well over $500 USD I would actually say the ripper is very good considering it is the only cooler to really offer the level of RGB that this high end field deserves and it held an overclocked 2990WX at well under temp max with the stock compound. Upon changing mine to liquid metal dropped the temps about 15C so I would beg to disagree considering the socket it is cooling it is among a select few.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SigmaDire View Post
yeah but muh RGB

but on a serious note taking into account, wraith ripper probably uses different thermal compound, and the NH-U14S has 2 fans it's close tot he performance of the NH-U12S stock the point of this thread is to improve the performance since

A. it looks cooler than both those two coolers

B. has features those other 2 do not

obviously it's fans run at a much higher RPM but who is to say with the proper compound and a different fan setup, whether it be 1 or 2 or 3 it couldn't do better or close to the NH-U14S and offer the benefits it has over that cooler while performing better

this thread isn't about glorifying the ripper, when I bought it I knew what I was getting and that was the only decent RGB cooler for the TR4 socket and the ability to namedrop my expensive socket/CPU to onlookers as well as cool looks. If you are spending the minimum buy in to tr4 which is well over $500 USD I would actually say the ripper is very good considering it is the only cooler to really offer the level of RGB that this high end field deserves and it held an overclocked 2990WX at well under temp max with the stock compound. Upon changing mine to liquid metal dropped the temps about 15C so I would beg to disagree considering the socket it is cooling it is among a select few.
You can ramble on all you want. Facts are Raith Ripper is over priced and under performs similar size and much lower priced aftermarket coolers.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
You can ramble on all you want. Facts are Raith Ripper is over priced and under performs similar size and much lower priced aftermarket coolers.
considering it has BEST RGB if I want a cooler that can keep my CPU under 70C with huge RGB then all other coolers under perform and are overpriced. Lol we are capitalists friend and the value is a product is determined by the customers needs, the ripper does a good job of keeping CPU cool and with liquid metal seems it would keep ANY cpu under 80C. Not all people, infact most don't give a flying flip if their CPU is 75C vs 70C, and for me with a simple 12 core knowing it more that does a good enough job on a 32 core overclocked CPU would rather pay $40 more for something if I am already destined to pay $70 for a freaking heatsink mininum so I get something that does't look like crap in my case for my $600+ CPU/MOBO combo and compliments the Trident Z rgb sticks I payed more money for, which compliment my glass side panel, which are very common now. As good as noctua is their cooler is ugly, brb chrome when most MOBO's are blacked out, brb weird color fans because that's what the company wants, brb no RGB.

Nobody is arguing about performance or price/performance ratios, these are known. Simply put the wraith ripper can compete on some level with noctua coolers, this thread is about making it more competitive in that aspect, noctua cannot compete with the wraith ripper in looks in the eyes of many people which is why it is not even an option, if price to performance was the only metric anyone cared about the wraith ripper wouldn't even sell.

in different metrics, Wraith ripper is almost in a league of it's own meanwhile noctua refuses to compromise with something as simple as looks to make a more appealing product.

lol @ you, calm down buddy, it's obvious you are defending your options but the fact of the matter is as a PRODUCT the wraith ripper is arguably superior, as a CPU COOLER both noctua coolers are superior.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by SigmaDire View Post
considering it has BEST RGB if I want a cooler that can keep my CPU under 70C with huge RGB then all other coolers under perform and are overpriced. Lol we are capitalists friend and the value is a product is determined by the customers needs, the ripper does a good job of keeping CPU cool and with liquid metal seems it would keep ANY cpu under 80C. Not all people, infact most don't give a flying flip if their CPU is 75C vs 70C, and for me with a simple 12 core knowing it more that does a good enough job on a 32 core overclocked CPU would rather pay $40 more for something if I am already destined to pay $70 for a freaking heatsink mininum so I get something that does't look like crap in my case for my $600+ CPU/MOBO combo and compliments the Trident Z rgb sticks I payed more money for, which compliment my glass side panel, which are very common now. As good as noctua is their cooler is ugly, brb chrome when most MOBO's are blacked out, brb weird color fans because that's what the company wants, brb no RGB.

Nobody is arguing about performance or price/performance ratios, these are known. Simply put the wraith ripper can compete on some level with noctua coolers, this thread is about making it more competitive in that aspect, noctua cannot compete with the wraith ripper in looks in the eyes of many people which is why it is not even an option, if price to performance was the only metric anyone cared about the wraith ripper wouldn't even sell.

in different metrics, Wraith ripper is almost in a league of it's own meanwhile noctua refuses to compromise with something as simple as looks to make a more appealing product.

lol @ you, calm down buddy, it's obvious you are defending your options but the fact of the matter is as a PRODUCT the wraith ripper is arguably superior, as a CPU COOLER both noctua coolers are superior.
With your standards any cooler can compete with Noctua.

If you want high performance look at TRUE Spirit 140 Power with a TY-143 or FHP-141. That's a real high performance cooler.

Sense RGB seems more important to you than overall cooling and low noise levels you are in a defferent league than I am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in