Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Airflow - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Airflow

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
I had temp issues with my msi 1080ti gamingX too, what i figured after a lot of testing, a side panel fan is best as exhaust config for this 300Watt beast VGA ,since vga cooler is flowing hot air on the side .No point to push that warm air back with side panel fan.
My advice is , try it out and see for yourself . In your case ,i would use 200mm front +120/140mm bottom intake . If u have tower CPU cooler , top 200mm fan could be intake(with filter) to feed fresh air to CPU , and reach positive pressure inside .
Side 200mm -140mm rear exhaust.

Last edited by TeslaHUN; 05-24-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
@doyll So I tested the temp with the digital thermometer just under the GPU and there's about 1C difference compared to outside air. Sometimes it went a little over 1C difference but not by much. Tested while running Furmark and also with a game.

I actually improved cable management and re-organized the hard drive so that the front intake fan isn't obstructed as much then took off the bays that are empty. It lowered the general operating temperature of the GPU by 4-5C so that's a plus. Though I would still like to lower it even more. Could it be the GPU thermal paste that needs changing?

Last edited by Black_Azrael; 06-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by Black_Azrael View Post
@doyll So I tested the temp with the digital thermometer just under the GPU and there's about 1C difference compared to outside air. Sometimes it went a little over 1C difference but not by much. Tested while running Furmark and also with a game.

I actually improved cable management and re-organized the hard drive so that the front intake fan isn't obstructed as much then took off the bays that are empty. It lowered the general operating temperature of the GPU by 4-5C so that's a plus. Though I would still like to lower it even more. Could it be the GPU thermal paste that needs changing?

10c difference is high. I like seeing 2-3c difference when both CPU and GPU are at full load and fans are at full speed. For examples i my systems fans run at about 1000-1200rpm at max load with 19-23c room ambinet. That is just loud enough that in very quiet room I will notice system is working extremely hard .. like encoding with all cors/threads at 100% load .. load is so high system cannot be uded for anything until encode is done processing.

Now you see how much difference a clean airflow path from fans to component makes. It's possibe the PSU TIM is bad .. or maybe it's fans and fins are dirty.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So by my understanding, my 1c difference is pretty good then? (and no I wasn't running the fans at max)

If so, I'm not sure what I can do to lower the temperature even more.

I'm willing to change fans and fan direction/speed if need be but I want to keep this case.

Also, what do you mean by PSU TIM?

Last edited by Black_Azrael; 06-04-2019 at 10:04 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 390 (Unique: 269)
So by my understanding, my 1c difference is pretty good then? (and no I wasn't running the fans at max)

If so, I'm not sure what I can do to lower the temperature even more.

I'm willing to change fans and fan direction/speed if need be but I want to keep this case.

Also, what do you mean by PSU TIM?
Here's the thing, right now you are feeding the GPU with air that is about 1C above the ambient temp in the room. No amount of fans will ever drop the inside of your case below ambient, which means that in a perfect world the best you could get would be a 1C temperature drop by only changing fans. This means that your options are lowering the temp of the room, or changing the cooler on the GPU to something like a Morpheus II, that is if the GPU TIM is ok. If that is where the issue lies, it's the easiest of the fixes.

And I would wager that @doyll meant to say GPU TIM.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Makes sense.

Changing thermal paste on a CPU is one thing but I don't know how easy it would be for a GPU.

Other than that, it seems like I'm out of options for lowering the temperature for the GPU.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Indeed, I meant GPU TIM. With system at full load having air 1c warmer than room is very good. I'm happy when it is 3c or less above room with both CPU & GPU at full load. So if airflow into GPU is less than 3c above room ambient it would behard to get lower temps un.less the TIM is bad, GPU cooler fans are bad or GPU cooler is dirty.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 06-07-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

With all that said, it still doesn't make too much sense that the GPU gets so hot.

Guess I'll buy my next GPU with water cooling integrated.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

With all that said, it still doesn't make too much sense that the GPU gets so hot.

Guess I'll buy my next GPU with water cooling integrated.

Have you checked GPU (not PSU TIM) cooler to make sure it is not full of lint and dust?

Removing GPU cooler is not a big deal. Usually it's held on with 4 screws on back of GPU PCB. Once off clean all TIM out. I cut a paper towel into about 2" squares and have waste basked lined with a plastic bag close to put used squares into, wipe off what I can, then use alcohol for most of my cleaning. Reason for small squares of towel with waste basket close by is TIM like to jump onto other things. I'm sure it can easily jump 3 feet. Once everything is clean, do a practice mounting of cooler, and once that goes smoothly apply a little TIM and put it back together.

Here is link to basic guide to taking off and re-assembling GPU:
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/optim...w-33764-2.html

But be warned, some companies get nasty about warranty issues if user has removed cooler, cleaned and applied new TIM.

Last edited by doyll; 06-07-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I figure they wouldn't like it for warranty purposes. I've had it for almost two years though.

Though, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing this with such an expensive card lol.

It seems like you can't use the same thermal paste as the one for CPU? I heard it's a thicker paste than the normal CPU stuff.

For the record, if that even matters, I took the GPU out to clean the dust off it and the fans as much as I could.

Tags
1080ti , Gpu , high , temp , Thermaltake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in