Fan lifespan - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fan lifespan

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Fan lifespan

Not about intel but air cooling in general.
I want to keep this gpu (Vega 64 rog strix) for console lifespan and i've heard fans die first
What are the best habits to keep a fan alive for a very long time? Zero-RPM function would be useful?

P.S don't tell me it's gonna be obsolete before it dies, i use a 1080p monitor and im not afraid of playing at console framerates with freesync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 453 (Unique: 385)
I've got some Gentle Typhoons that still work after 8 years, that doesn't mean whatever is fixed to your GPU will though. It's not difficult to bodge new fans to a GPU though, my 1060 has two 120mm case fans stuck on it and it's cooler and quieter than the stock ones.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
i'm pushing 10 years on some of my AP15s, of near 24/7 usage. originally purchased 44, still have 43. 44th still spins, it's just noisy & i'm too lazy to properly oil it.

as far as gpus go, you tend to see lots of fans for sale on ebay, that may tell you something... I've been dropping blocks on things for many moons now, but even before then it never became an issue.

you shouldn't have to worry about your fan. set it to ramp to 100% whenever its 2c above idle, it'll still be fine. These things are rated for years & years of service. I have an ancient 6 series single slot AMD card i use for testing, it's fan still works.

also - consoles are a joke, it's why we game on PC. It allows us to decide our own cost & quality constraints. You have a nice card, It should run for a decade.

as to practices, I believe the coolers designed with zero RPM do it for quiet's sake, not lifespan. I could be wrong though.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 05-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
Quote: Originally Posted by Synoxia View Post
Not about intel but air cooling in general.
I want to keep this gpu (Vega 64 rog strix) for console lifespan and i've heard fans die first
What are the best habits to keep a fan alive for a very long time? Zero-RPM function would be useful?

P.S don't tell me it's gonna be obsolete before it dies, i use a 1080p monitor and im not afraid of playing at console framerates with freesync.
Fan life expectancy is pretty random. I've seen some die in a year and other run for many many years. If you starts making noise you can usually find replacements by looking for fan part number.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
It's really easy to find replacement in AliExpress just bought the front fan for other reasons, and it's the same identical fan. It costs around 15-20 bucks, the whole set.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in