Help me make up my mind regarding AM4 air cooler
Hi! With Zen 2 release I'm gonna switch to either 3600/3600X or maybe 3700X, not sure yet. I'm planning to overclock it to the max within the safe voltage.
Out of AM4-compatible high-end air coolers that are actually available where I live I've narrowed the list down to the following:
- Thermalright ARO-M14G ($60)
- Noctua NH-D15S ($90)
- Noctua NH-U14S ($75)
- Noctua NH-U12A ($105)
Some of the coolers that I'm willing to consider but which are in a lower performance bracket:
- Thermalright Macho Rev. B (well it's not weaker but it's more expensive than ARO-M14 with equivalent cooling)
- Scythe Mugen 5
- Cooler Master MA620P
- Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case is Corsair Carbide 270R (170mm CPU Cooler height clearance). Front intakes are 2x Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM and 1 ghetto-zip-tied Noctua NF-R8 Redux PWM to create some pressure and airflow at the very top of the case. Exhaust is 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 PWM at the back.
One nuance is that I'd like to be able to zip-tie a fan to blow on motherboard VRM if that is needed, therefore thinner heatsinks are more preferable in a way, making me kind of lean towards U14S.
Some of that were not included but are available here:
- True Spirit 140 Power sadly is a couple of millimeters too tall, otherwise it would be a go-to
- NH-D15 is too big/thick for my taste
- Same goes for Le Grand Macho RT
- Dark Rock Pro 4 too is huge and overhangs the RAM
- Scythe Ninja 5 is freakishly thick and has low-RPM fans
- MSI Core FROZR XL is way too expensive here for what it is, costing over $105
- Dark Rock 4 is too weak, I might just as well reuse my current MSI Core Frozr L instead
So what I'm asking you is to share any thoughts and give any input you can think of. I literally cannot make up my mind and this has gone on for weeks now. I'm leaning towards D15S or U14S but ARO-M14G looks good too. I'm kind of close to dropping U12A from the short list due to price and two fans (more noise, not much more cooling), but it also is kind of intriguing as it it the most bang-for-the-size out of them all. Also ARO-M14G is definitely the value champ here, but Thermalright fans are not available here at all and I'd have to order one from China and wait like 5 weeks for the replacement, should one fail.
Last edited by Mungojerrie; 06-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.