Noctua NH U12S SE AM4 or Corsair H115i PRO [2600x/3600x] - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Noctua NH U12S SE AM4 or Corsair H115i PRO [2600x/3600x]

post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by bad_haze View Post
For real, though. These guys are solely devoted to innovating thermal solutions. I'd rather go for a company that only does one thing extremely well as opposed to one that includes cooling as part of their diversified product portfolio.

https://www.pcgamer.com/noctua-spent...ngest-fan-yet/

I was really amazed at how much research went into their products! Owning one, I admit it is really silent even at full speed. Plus the actual heatsink performs really well.

It keeps my Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1Ghz 1.35v around 38-40c idle and 50-60c under gaming load.

I also like the fact that it comes with a wide array of socket adapters for both Intel and AMD!
You buying the company? or the best cooler for the situation at hand? Lets stick to results.

Considering the OP has an entho pro M and not a testing bench or a closed case (the cooler gonna be fed with outside air with almost no resistance), a big heatsink, with spaced fins, and 1 slow RPM fan will get best results here in therms of cooling/noise ratio.

Thermalright is unbeatable at noise/cooling/price when paired with an airflow case (referring to macho series), and they also have current the top air cooler.

But considering the OP moves the PC, the best for that are AIOs.

Last edited by Shenhua; 06-17-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 216 (Unique: 124)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
But considering the OP moves the PC, the best for that are AIOs.
shouldn't it be the opposite? AIOs aren't supposed to be moved around.
or was that only limited to custom loops?

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Buris View Post
Have you thought about the NH-U12A? It performs better than both, and has great sound performance as well. Infact, the NH-U12A even beats the Corsair H150i.
Quote: Originally Posted by NewType88 View Post
I would get the NH-U12A. Aesthetics are subjective, I personally think air coolers look better than AIO's.
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Dont buy a CLC cooler its going to be worse in every way compared to your old NH-U12P
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Don't buy NH-U12S , it's not stronger than other $40-50 coolers at this point such as Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B, Thermalright ARO-M14G (Macho Rev B with AM4 mounting only) , or Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power (one of the strongest slim towers due to 6x 8mm heatpipes). The NF-F12 fan is also rather underwhelming on its own so neither the heatsink nor the fan are standouts.

If you want to buy Noctua I'd probably spend ~$60 on the NH-U14S. It's been shown to outperform the ARO-M14G in some tests and the NF-A14 hasn't been replaced by a better fan yet.

The NH-U12S doesn't have the heatpipes or fin area of other top slim towers which is why NH-U12A came out this year.

If you're looking at watercoolers , even if you want RGB, I'd be looking at full copper solutions such as Swiftech Drive x3 series for ~$160. The step up is from $50 air coolers to $150 copper expandable watercoolers. You can go from a $40-50 air cooler to a $70-90 one but the improvement isn't as large as from a ~$30 4 heatpipe Scyhe Kotetsu MKII/ Be Quiet Pure rock / Cryorig H7 / Arctic Freezer series to a 6 heatpipe Mugen 5 or ARO-M14G.

Buying a H115i is like going from a NH-U14s to a NH-D15s, a few degrees at most unless you have a overclock on a 8+ core CPU pulling over 160W.

see https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/778...j-30-en-40-dbn
When limited to 30dB the Mugen 5 (the Mugen 5 has a 1200rpm fan rather than 1500rpm) outperforms the NH-U12S.
Hyper 212 to Mugen 5 is over 10 degree drop

In computerbase's latest testing on Ryzen 7 CPU overclocked in a highly restrictive Thermaltake F51 case which favors liquid cooling:
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-06/...ldruckpegel-oc
Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 52.4 degrees delta temp @ 35.5dBA <--- failed HardOCP testing
Thermalright Macho Rev B 51.2 degrees delta temp @ 37dBA
Mugen 5 50.8 degrees delta temp @ 37dBA
Silver arrow T8 with Noctua fans 48.8 degrees delta temp @ 36dBA (otherwise ~ 48.8 degrees delta temp is achieved with ~ 39dBA)
Noctua NH-D15 49.3 degree delta temp @33.5dBA
Noctua NH-U12A 48.1 degrees delta temp @ 35.5dBA
H115i pro 46.5 degrees delta temp @ 34dBA

Also
Noctua NH-D15 = 44.2degree delta temp @36.5dbA
H115i pro = 41.9 degree delta temp @37dBA

From NH-U12A review
Attachment 274838
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-05/...ldruckpegel-oc
The NH-U12A or NH-D14/15 are better options than the NH-U12S
NH-U12A beats the H100i and the H150i

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk&t=526s
NH-U12A/NH-D14/15 are too big for me because of:
- I like clear space on cpu area, nhu12s is the biggest I would go
- I move my computer with care quite often, so a big and heavy cooler is not really a good idea.

Also, I'm talking about Corsair h115i PRO, is much better than h100i and also better than h115i, with ML fans and a new pump.
From what I've been reading, h115i pro performs similar to D15

Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
Thermalright aro m14. Big, heavy, cheap, reliable and silent.
This is exactly what I don't want

Quote: Originally Posted by bad_haze View Post
I would recommend the Noctua because they make amazing fans. They are known for being quiet but extremely efficient. The cooler will do the job just fine as well.

To help your decision, you can check out some unboxings to really see how much money the company puts into their products - from marketing, to packaging, to the final product.
I'm really in love with Noctua, they're products are perfects and also they're support.
Support is a reason why I'm not going to buy Scythe or Thermaltake anymore, got a Scythe ninja and a TT Riing Silent PRO that I can not use because they didn't make adapters for other sockets, while Noctua is giving them for free, so in case of air coolers, I'm going to Noctua and no any other brand, I don't mind paying 10$ more if I know that I'll have the best support available.

Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
shouldn't it be the opposite? AIOs aren't supposed to be moved around.
or was that only limited to custom loops?
Custom water-cooling is not for moving them, or at least, with so much caution.
CLC are completly safe to move them around, much better than a big and heavy air cooler because they cannot break the MB with hit on similar going on car.

Okay guys, I think I'm ordering the h115i pro on sale for 115€ and give it a try, if I'm not happy with it, I'll go for the noctua NHu12S AM4 SE.
Both of them should outperform my NHU12P because of the convex IHS problem between the U12P and Ryzen, I'll keep you informed.

Thanks!

PhanteksR7
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen R7 3700x
Motherboard
Asus x470 Strix F
GPU
RTX 2070 Windforce OC
RAM
KFA2 HOF Extreme DDR4 4000CL19 BDie
Hard Drive
Samsung 970EvoPlus 500GB NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860QVO 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus+ 650W Platinium
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12P
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
Operating System
Windows 10 PRO
Monitor
Samsung C24FG70
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
Zowie FK2
Mousepad
Razer Goliathus Cosmic Speed
Audio
Asus Xonar STX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by rul3s View Post
NH-U12A/NH-D14/15 are too big for me because of:
- I like clear space on cpu area, nhu12s is the biggest I would go
- I move my computer with care quite often, so a big and heavy cooler is not really a good idea.

Also, I'm talking about Corsair h115i PRO, is much better than h100i and also better than h115i, with ML fans and a new pump.
From what I've been reading, h115i pro performs similar to D15

This is exactly what I don't want

I'm really in love with Noctua, they're products are perfects and also they're support.
Support is a reason why I'm not going to buy Scythe or Thermaltake anymore, got a Scythe ninja and a TT Riing Silent PRO that I can not use because they didn't make adapters for other sockets, while Noctua is giving them for free, so in case of air coolers, I'm going to Noctua and no any other brand, I don't mind paying 10$ more if I know that I'll have the best support available.

Custom water-cooling is not for moving them, or at least, with so much caution.
CLC are completly safe to move them around, much better than a big and heavy air cooler because they cannot break the MB with hit on similar going on car.

Okay guys, I think I'm ordering the h115i pro on sale for 115€ and give it a try, if I'm not happy with it, I'll go for the noctua NHu12S AM4 SE.
Both of them should outperform my NHU12P because of the convex IHS problem between the U12P and Ryzen, I'll keep you informed.

Thanks!

I'm betting you won't be happy wiht H125i becuase of noise. Even at an idle the pump will be making nolise. Sure, you can change the fans, but you cannot change the pump. CLCs are built with factory sealed fittings that you and I cannot change tubing or anyhing on without damaging CLC. If you want to go liquid cooling look at AIOs (not CLCs). AIOs are parent group of which CLC is a sub-group. AIOs have threaded fittings and fill port so owner can add/change coolant and/or change components as needed. AIOs are be quiet! Silent Loop and Swiftech Drive 3X. They have threaded fittings and fill port for topping up and/or changing coolant as needed.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 06-18-2019 at 02:45 AM.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
I'm betting you won't be happy wiht H125i becuase of noise. Even at an idle the pump will be making nolise. Sure, you can change the fans, but you cannot change the pump. CLCs are built with factory sealed fittings that you and I cannot change tubing or anyhing on without damaging CLC. If you want to go liquid cooling look at AIOs (not CLCs). AIOs are parent group of which CLC is a sub-group. AIOs have threaded fittings and fill port so owner can add/change coolant and/or change components as needed. AIOs are be quiet! Silent Loop and Swiftech Drive 3X. They have threaded fittings and fill port for topping up and/or changing coolant as needed.

sound is 37dba at max speed, being able to change hoses isn't relavent to noise or performance not is a fill port. Be quiet 280 in the same test is 47dba. The 115i pro was also equal in temp when the noise was normalised to 40dba (115i at 37dba). So the 115i is quieter and better at cooling than the Be quiet 280 equvilent in that test/review.
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
sound is 37dba at max speed, being able to change hoses isn't relavent to noise or performance not is a fill port. Be quiet 280 in the same test is 47dba. The 115i pro was also equal in temp when the noise was normalised to 40dba (115i at 37dba). So the 115i is quieter and better at cooling than the Be quiet 280 equvilent in that test/review.
Could you give us a link to that test data? Because I seriously doubt the 37dBA and 47dBA was the pump noise level .. unless if they had their dB meter about 10cm from pump.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Could you give us a link to that test data? Because I seriously doubt the 37dBA and 47dBA was the pump noise level .. unless if they had their dB meter about 10cm from pump.
total noise. I can't hear my pump at all and thats at full speed (gen 5)
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
total noise. I can't hear my pump at all and thats at full speed (gen 5)
Okay, for comparison 37dB is about the same noise level as in a theater waiting for show and 47dB is about the same as a dishwasher running in next room .. not quite as loud as toilet flushing (50-60dB).

To me that is rather loud.

As a comparison my air cooled system in normal use makes less noise than my dB meter lower dB threshold of 30dB .. that means with meter head 12" away from computer the sounds coming out of computer are less than meter can pickup and register. This is typical of dB meters unless they are very expensive ones, like well over $100.

My room ambient noise level is at the meter threshold, so 30-36dB. Meter changes from no reading to 32-36dB when I move or rub my hand on arm of chair.

So, if you don't want to hear your system runing whenever it is on, even at an idle, don't get a CLC .. and all Corsair sell are CLCs. CLCs are a sub-group of AIO and don't even have the provision to top up coolant, and definitely can't be serviced or repaired if the fail. AIOs that are not CLC do have fill plug for topping up / changing coolant, threaded fittings so they can be dissassembled and repaired, and copper radiators .. and most are quieter than CLCs are.

But lowest cost way to quiet performance is air cooling.

Last edited by doyll; 06-18-2019 at 04:59 AM.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 397 (Unique: 270)
You asked PoohBear to actually post backup? Hasn't happened to date......highly doubt it will happen now......way too dangerous if you get to see all of the data, not just really random, cherry picked parts.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 397 (Unique: 270)
Never mind
Or just go with.....

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Tags
Corsair , h115i , nhu12s , Noctua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in