Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 on newer cards - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 on newer cards

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 on newer cards

So, I still have a dead 7970 lying around with an excellent Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 on it. For anyone wondering, that's basically an Accelero Xtreme with a rotated copper plate to fit the 7970 specifically. The III which it is based on lists compatibility up to an R9 390X or up to an RTX 2080 on the green side, but that's the normal one. It does seem to have the same mounting holes so I assume the bracket of the 7970 will fit the cards the III lists.

Has anyone tried to use the 7970 on newer cards? I'm interested to see if I can re-use this thing, maybe even on the new RX 5700 seeing as they went with a blower (again). Otherwise I might pick up another GPU that might work second hand. My hypothesis is that as long as the GPU I'm trying to cool is quite a bit smaller than the 7970, the diamond shape copper contact area might work, even if the chip is in square layout.

Also, does anyone know how to get the heatsinks off? They're glued to the memory chips. I might just have to get some new ones, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 636 (Unique: 438)
If it has the same mounting holes, it should. I have used my older Accelero Twin Turbos I and II on several AMD cards from HD4850 and newer. The biggest issue would be clearance near the socket or with any tall PCB components.
As for the glue, usually it's a permanent thing and you risk damaging the card if you try to pry it off. However, some people have luck with a hairdryer and lots of patience. Easier to get new ones and use thermal tape.

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I still have an old Accelero Twin Turbo (the first one) as well actually, but that's on a card that still works. And it can only dissipate 120W of heat, so it is pretty much useless for the new cards, as any stock cooler is probably better. I looked at the new RX 5700 PCB, and from the image that is currently available (https://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/2002828992.jpeg), it might just fit. The chip is closer to the display ports side by about 2,5 cm, and that's exactly the space I have to spare... Only low profile displayports and HDMI so it can hang over it no problem.

I was looking at second hand (reference cooler) Vega 56s, it might work on that, and the chip can definitely use some good cooling, but I fear it's not going to be that good an upgrade from an RX 580. Then there's the HBM height, as I believe some models are not an equal surface, creating additional challenges. I also want low power consumption and heat dissipation, since I want to go for a really small case that still fits this huge cooler if possible (the Ncase M1 for example should just about be able to fit this). Low power consumption will also help with cooling VRMs.

So if I get a RX 5700, I will definitely want to try this. It seems like a good fit; even though the chip is square on the PCB, it's pretty small compared to Tahiti (255 mm2 vs 355 mm2) so it might work really well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
You need to sand away that raised diamond for typical squarely mounted gpu dies or you will not be getting full coverage which is not advised. I did it re-using it from 7970 to R9 290, works well but you gotta make sure you sand it good and true or you could crack the die from uneven pressure.

Quote: Originally Posted by deraco96 View Post

So if I get a RX 5700, I will definitely want to try this. It seems like a good fit; even though the chip is square on the PCB, it's pretty small compared to Tahiti (255 mm2 vs 355 mm2) so it might work really well.

If the die fits fully within the raised section then should be good yeah.

Quote: Originally Posted by deraco96 View Post

Also, does anyone know how to get the heatsinks off? They're glued to the memory chips. I might just have to get some new ones, though.

Freezing can help loosen, only risk removing if card is goosed though as it's pretty easy to rip off chips.

- Ryzen 7 3700X - Prime X470 Pro - 16GB Crucial BSLT - 1080Ti Amp Extreme - Aerocool Project7 P650 - Fractal Define XL (USB3) -

Last edited by upgraditus; 06-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in