Air cooling in a O11 Dynamic - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Air cooling in a O11 Dynamic

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Air cooling in a O11 Dynamic

I'm putting together my long-delayed PC upgrade. Currently my plan is to go with a Lian Li O11 Dynamic for aesthetic reasons (the front case window), but stick to air cooling. I plan to cool a Ryzen 9 3900X and I live in the tropics, so I want good air cooling performance. So I have two questions:

- What's the best air cooler that I can fit in the Dynamic? According to Lian Li's specifications there is only 155mm of clearance. A lot of 120mm coolers won't fit in that clearance; are there any good coolers that will fit in that space and represent a significant upgrade over the bundled Wraith Prism?

- My plan is to run three 120mm fans as the side intake. Are there any better alternatives for this role than the Silent Wings 3? There's just one aesthetic limitation: black fans are strongly preferred (as the color scheme of my build will be black and maroon/red).

Any help would be kindly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am also doing similar build and thinking of using some of these coolers.

Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Scythe Fuma 2 / Fuma rev.b
Scythe Ninja 5

CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-D3H
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus
RAM
HyperX Genesis 8GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3 60GB
Hard Drive
ST1000DM003-9YN162
Hard Drive
ST240HM000-1G5152
Hard Drive
ST4000DM000-1F2168
Hard Drive
ST4000DM000-2AE166
Optical Drive
Asus Blu-ray
Power Supply
Antec high current gamer 620W
Cooling
Xigmatek Aegir
Case
CM Strom Enforcer
Monitor
AOC AG322QCX
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitec G502
Audio
HyperX Cloud II
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm planning to do the same thing although I might wait for the 3950x. Here is what I bought for my cooler:

https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00...9SIA9ZH97B9538

It should just barely clear and has no ram compatibility issues like the original Fuma. I also bought 6 SW3 hi speeds for bottom and side intake. I'm going to use ML120's for exhaust and possibly in the middle of the heat-sink. I'll have to experiment to see if it works any better. The 2 packs were on sale for much less than the SW3's, and push more air so I figured what the hell. I have a lot of silver in my build so the gray fan blades will probably have a cool accent if you even see them at all up top. I grabbed one of these for the front heatsink fan although I'm not sure if it will fit with the fan clips and clear the side panel:

https://www.newegg.com/raijintek-0r4...9SIA66Z8KR4146

I figured it might push a little more air and add a little flair at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigg420 View Post
I'm planning to do the same thing although I might wait for the 3950x. Here is what I bought for my cooler:

https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00...9SIA9ZH97B9538

It should just barely clear and has no ram compatibility issues like the original Fuma. I also bought 6 SW3 hi speeds for bottom and side intake. I'm going to use ML120's for exhaust and possibly in the middle of the heat-sink. I'll have to experiment to see if it works any better. The 2 packs were on sale for much less than the SW3's, and push more air so I figured what the hell. I have a lot of silver in my build so the gray fan blades will probably have a cool accent if you even see them at all up top. I grabbed one of these for the front heatsink fan although I'm not sure if it will fit with the fan clips and clear the side panel:

https://www.newegg.com/raijintek-0r4...9SIA66Z8KR4146

I figured it might push a little more air and add a little flair at the same time.
Sounds like your case is becoming 'air-blow' not 'air-flow'.

For a CPU cooler with 120mm fan you only need 1x 140mm good intake fan, and SW3 are one of the very best. Without knowing what case you have I can't really suggest how to set up the case fans, but in most tower cases I use 2x 140mm front intakes and 1x bottom intake, no exhausts fans, block top venting, block all holes in front and bottom not covered by intake fans, and remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area and thus improve front to back airflow. These case fans are speed controlled by component temp, usually bottom intake is by GPU temp and front intakes by CPU .. if no bottom intake one each of front intakes to CPU and GPU.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Sounds like your case is becoming 'air-blow' not 'air-flow'.

For a CPU cooler with 120mm fan you only need 1x 140mm good intake fan, and SW3 are one of the very best. Without knowing what case you have I can't really suggest how to set up the case fans, but in most tower cases I use 2x 140mm front intakes and 1x bottom intake, no exhausts fans, block top venting, block all holes in front and bottom not covered by intake fans, and remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area and thus improve front to back airflow. These case fans are speed controlled by component temp, usually bottom intake is by GPU temp and front intakes by CPU .. if no bottom intake one each of front intakes to CPU and GPU.
I'm using an 011 dynamic just like the OP. I realize this is total overkill and I don't need 9 case fans. I got a good deal on them and it will look cool so I'm okay with it. My plan was to set the bottom intake to read GPU temps and the side intake and exhausts to read CPU temps. I'll tweak the fan curves to keep the noise down. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to change the fans on the Fuma 2 or not. I'll have to see if it actually improves CPU temps to have the ML120 in the middle and rajintek up front vs the stock fans. This is also a partly cosmetic decision as I don't really like how the stock scythe fans look.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigg420 View Post
I'm using an 011 dynamic just like the OP. I realize this is total overkill and I don't need 9 case fans. I got a good deal on them and it will look cool so I'm okay with it. My plan was to set the bottom intake to read GPU temps and the side intake and exhausts to read CPU temps. I'll tweak the fan curves to keep the noise down. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to change the fans on the Fuma 2 or not. I'll have to see if it actually improves CPU temps to have the ML120 in the middle and rajintek up front vs the stock fans. This is also a partly cosmetic decision as I don't really like how the stock scythe fans look.
Like I said, airflow, not airblow. Lots of fans does not mean you are supplying cool air to where it's needed. Airflow is like water flow. Too many fans means lots of turbulence .. but turbulence is not flow, it's just air being mixed up.

It's like putting 4 engines in a car powering each wheel wheneach wheel is going in a different direction. Tires will spin and smoke but car goes nowhere.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base

Last edited by doyll; 06-27-2019 at 03:43 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by leops1984 View Post
I'm putting together my long-delayed PC upgrade. Currently my plan is to go with a Lian Li O11 Dynamic for aesthetic reasons (the front case window), but stick to air cooling. I plan to cool a Ryzen 9 3900X and I live in the tropics, so I want good air cooling performance. So I have two questions:

- What's the best air cooler that I can fit in the Dynamic? According to Lian Li's specifications there is only 155mm of clearance. A lot of 120mm coolers won't fit in that clearance; are there any good coolers that will fit in that space and represent a significant upgrade over the bundled Wraith Prism?

- My plan is to run three 120mm fans as the side intake. Are there any better alternatives for this role than the Silent Wings 3? There's just one aesthetic limitation: black fans are strongly preferred (as the color scheme of my build will be black and maroon/red).

Any help would be kindly appreciated.
O11 Dynamic is working really well with 3x side intake with tower CPU cooler and customVGA's , exhaust no needed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
For cpu air cooling support if you can i would personally wait for the Lian Li's O11 Dynamic XL coming out in a few months. it is clearly wider than the current o11 dynamic (now supports 120mm rear fan) so should provide much greater air cooler compatibility. not sure about exact specifics though.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255983/l...motorized-desk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

I decided to use Fuma 2 cooler for better cooling. Will also add third fan (Noctua A12x25) on the cooler if there is room for it.
For case intake I am placing 3x chromax NF-F12 on the side.

CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-D3H
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus
RAM
HyperX Genesis 8GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3 60GB
Hard Drive
ST1000DM003-9YN162
Hard Drive
ST240HM000-1G5152
Hard Drive
ST4000DM000-1F2168
Hard Drive
ST4000DM000-2AE166
Optical Drive
Asus Blu-ray
Power Supply
Antec high current gamer 620W
Cooling
Xigmatek Aegir
Case
CM Strom Enforcer
Monitor
AOC AG322QCX
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitec G502
Audio
HyperX Cloud II
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:35 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 872 (Unique: 575)
Fractal Meshify C / S2 and Phanteks' P600S are more conducive to aircooling honestly.

CPU coolers are limited to 155mm in the O11 dynamic which means the Fuma2 will fit and essentially be one of the only strong air cooler options at that height. The other major one is the Mugen 5.

I wouldn't use NF-F12 as intake though , it's pretty mediocre.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in