Looking for Cooling Thoughts/Opinions - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for Cooling Thoughts/Opinions

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Looking for Cooling Thoughts/Opinions

In the next few weeks (or however long it takes to read good reviews and for product to come available) I'm hoping to buy a Ryzen 3700x or 3800x, and I figured it may be a good time to look into changing up my CPU cooling as well. Right now I'm running a Corsair H100i purchased back in 2014, although I did replace the stock fans with Noctua NF-A12x25s back in the fall.

I haven't decided for sure whether to really overclock the new CPU (going to wait for reviews to see how they do), but even if not, I'd still like to get good cooling to maximize what PBO/XFR can do. So I thought I'd ask around for suggestions/recommendations/advice/etc. Quieter is definitely a plus. Here's a few alternatives that have run through my brain:

1) Roll with current cooling set up?
2) Grab a NH-D15S (maybe slap one of those NF-A12x25s on it?)
3) Hold out until new Noctua "D" model is released?
4) Go a different direction? I'm not married to Noctua, just using those models as examples since they are widely regarded as being extremely good.

Other relevant parts for clearances,etc:
Case: Fractal Define XL R2 (Also have 5 Phanteks PH-F140SPs at my disposal) http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...-titanium-grey
RAM: Team Dark Pro (specs say 45mm high) https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-pro-ddr4
Motherboard: X470 Taichi https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Keep your h100i
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, a NH-D15S, a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or a Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 as your cooler with their respective stock fan (with only the middle one for the dual towers) would be my recommendation. And I'd lean towards Le Grand Macho RT.

What case do you have, clearance might be an issue for some of these. (Edit: I'm just blind i didn't notice you mentioned the case already xD)

And lastly, use the NF-A12x25s as intake.

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 06-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by zyxwvu4321 View Post
In the next few weeks (or however long it takes to read good reviews and for product to come available) I'm hoping to buy a Ryzen 3700x or 3800x, and I figured it may be a good time to look into changing up my CPU cooling as well. Right now I'm running a Corsair H100i purchased back in 2014, although I did replace the stock fans with Noctua NF-A12x25s back in the fall.

I haven't decided for sure whether to really overclock the new CPU (going to wait for reviews to see how they do), but even if not, I'd still like to get good cooling to maximize what PBO/XFR can do. So I thought I'd ask around for suggestions/recommendations/advice/etc. Quieter is definitely a plus. Here's a few alternatives that have run through my brain:

1) Roll with current cooling set up?
2) Grab a NH-D15S (maybe slap one of those NF-A12x25s on it?)
3) Hold out until new Noctua "D" model is released?
4) Go a different direction? I'm not married to Noctua, just using those models as examples since they are widely regarded as being extremely good.

Other relevant parts for clearances,etc:
Case:https://www.google.com/search?client...her+2009#cns=1 (Also have 5 Phanteks PH-F140SPs at my disposal) http://www.fractal-design.com/home/p...-titanium-grey
RAM: Team Dark Pro (specs say 45mm high) https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-pro-ddr4
Motherboard: X470 Taichi https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp

Thanks in advance for any input!
Availability and price depends on where you are on Earth. Some places have better choices and prices than others.

Define XL R2 supports coolers up to 170mm tall. Best cooler value I know if is TRUE Spirit 140 Power, but sadly it is 171.2mm tall, so while you can make it fit, the tips of heatpipes will rub on side cover when latching/unlatching it. Not a big deal, but it does make it a little harder to get side cover on. Here is link to thread about TRUE Spirit 140 Power
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...140-power.html

You need better fans. The stock ones are no good. What fans depends on what is available in your area. Phanteks PH-F140MP 2-packs and 3-packs in some areas are very low priced and they are very good fans. Here I can get 2-packs for £16.26, making them only £8.13 each. 2x front and possible 1x bottom intake fans that have good pressure rating to flow a good amount of air into case. All holes in front panel and bottom not covered by fans need to be block so the cool air fans are pushing into case moves through case and out the back and does not leak back in front of fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus allow more airflow/better cooling around GPU and less heated air moving up around CPU cooler.

Here are some links to some Define case builds:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23754692-post48.html

X470 Taichi has about 52mm center CPU to RAM socketd do just enough room for fan behind RAM. There is about 80mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket so plenty of room for TS140P's 155mm width to fit.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
keep your H100i for the time being unless it isn't performing. what CPU do you currently have and what temps you getting?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

I would not keep an H100 or any other CLC, especially one that is 5+ years old. No telling when the pump will fail and when it does you have no CPU cooling at all until you replace the CLC.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the input, folks!

Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, a NH-D15S, a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or a Thermalright Silver Arrow T8 as your cooler with their respective stock fan (with only the middle one for the dual towers) would be my recommendation. And I'd lean towards Le Grand Macho RT.
Yeah, the Macho is definitely one that I've been looking at while considering changing things up.

Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Availability and price depends on where you are on Earth. Some places have better choices and prices than others.
Oh right, in the US, sorry!

Define XL R2 supports coolers up to 170mm tall. Best cooler value I know if is TRUE Spirit 140 Power, but sadly it is 171.2mm tall, so while you can make it fit, the tips of heatpipes will rub on side cover when latching/unlatching it. Not a big deal, but it does make it a little harder to get side cover on. Here is link to thread about TRUE Spirit 140 Power
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...140-power.html
That one does look very nice, especially for the price. The height issue is definitely a bummer there, though if push came to shove, I could probably shave off 2mm of the sound dampening material from the panel above where the cooler would be, haha.

You need better fans. The stock ones are no good. What fans depends on what is available in your area. Phanteks PH-F140MP 2-packs and 3-packs in some areas are very low priced and they are very good fans. Here I can get 2-packs for £16.26, making them only £8.13 each. 2x front and possible 1x bottom intake fans that have good pressure rating to flow a good amount of air into case. All holes in front panel and bottom not covered by fans need to be block so the cool air fans are pushing into case moves through case and out the back and does not leak back in front of fans. Remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus allow more airflow/better cooling around GPU and less heated air moving up around CPU cooler.

Here are some links to some Define case builds:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/23754692-post48.html
Ah, yes, I didn't word things very clearly in my original post. I have replaced the case's stock fans, though it was with PH-F140SPs rather than PH-F140MPs. I hadn't even considered cutting out the grills to help with airflow. Thanks for that link!

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
keep your H100i for the time being unless it isn't performing. what CPU do you currently have and what temps you getting?
Ryzen 2600. Just finishing up hour 3 of Prime95, 4GHz 1.2v. Peak has been 59.9 C.

I would not keep an H100 or any other CLC, especially one that is 5+ years old. No telling when the pump will fail and when it does you have no CPU cooling at all until you replace the CLC.
Yeah, the age of the cooler was one of the main factors that led me to start looking at replacing/upgrading.

Thanks again all!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:41 AM
Fix it till its broke

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
If the XL is as deep as the Define R4 or Meshify C then True Spirit 140 Power will fit. I have both the R4 and Meshify and it fits in them. I even got TS140P to fit a CM 690II Advanced, though a tip or two was rubbing the side panel, but I could still close it.

TS140P is the best value cooler on the market.. its just tall.

3770K @ 4600 1.3v/True Spirit 140 Power/TY-143/TY147A|Asus P8Z77-V|12GB G.Skill TridentX+RipJawsX @ 933 9-10-9-27 2T 1.6v|EVGA GTX 980 Classified 3988 @ 1497/2001|CM Silent Pro M2 850|Fractal Design Meshify C TG
X5690 @ Stock+Turbo/Le Grand Macho RT/TY-147B|Asus Rampage III Formula|12GB STT Chrome+OCZ Reaper @ 667 6-8-6-24 1T 1.6v|EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 @ 1404/1753(Stock)|Corsair TX850|Fractal Design Define R4
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by zyxwvu4321 View Post
Thanks for the input, folks!

Oh right, in the US, sorry!

That one does look very nice, especially for the price. The height issue is definitely a bummer there, though if push came to shove, I could probably shave off 2mm of the sound dampening material from the panel above where the cooler would be, haha.

Ah, yes, I didn't word things very clearly in my original post. I have replaced the case's stock fans, though it was with PH-F140SPs rather than PH-F140MPs. I hadn't even considered cutting out the grills to help with airflow. Thanks for that link!

Ryzen 2600. Just finishing up hour 3 of Prime95, 4GHz 1.2v. Peak has been 59.9 C.

Yeah, the age of the cooler was one of the main factors that led me to start looking at replacing/upgrading.

Thanks again all!
Removing grills significantly lowers airflow resistance/increases airflow and lowers noise .. as does raising case up on open center caster base as shown in link. I can supply more detailed drawings of open center caster base if needed.

You don't need to remove any dampening material. Just push the top and bottom of panel tightly against case so the slide latches catch and slide panel forward. It leaves a little dent/line in the dampening material where heatpipe tips rub. When we tested NH-D14 against TRUE Spirit 140 Power, it cooled better than NH-D14 in A/B testing with same TY-143fan/fans. NH-D14 cools as well as NH-D15 and NH-D15S with same fans, so this means TRUE Spirit 140 Power out performs D15 .. as well as Le Grand Macho RT. Not by a lot but a few degrees .. and considering it's about halve the price, it's a win / win!
We tested using TY-143, but above 1500-1700rpm it become quite loud .. and to use that kind of extreme airflow requires same/similar case fans supplying cooler with needed airflow. Test results in link below
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22111036-post22.html

Those are good temps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in