Which cooler? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Which cooler?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 4)
Which cooler?

As I struggle to decide to air cool or liquid cool my upcoming desk-pc conversion, I'm looking at the options out there for air to cool my i7-3820. I'm really liking the bequiet! lineup and debating between the Dark Rock TF or the Dark Rock Pro 4. I like that the TF is a little lower profile because then the desk doesn't have to be as deep, but then again maybe it would anyway because I'd probably still need some air space above it?

As far as cooling goes the TF is rated at 220W TDP and the Pro 4 is rated at 250W TDP, but then again TDP doesn't really directly related to real world cooling performance.

Any thoughts on these in a desk-pc?

Last edited by Animag771; 07-21-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 899 (Unique: 589)
The Dark Rock Pro 4 has 7 heatpipes of 6mm diameter with 2 fin stacks (stated as 90 fins).

The Dark Rock TF has 6x6mm heatpipes with a single large fin stack (62 fins) and a smaller one (64 fins) on the bottom. Unless you have a case with weird airflow situation the Dark Rock Pro 4 are going to provided you a better thermal performance since the air isn't recirculated.

Be Quiet themselves rate Dark Rock 4 Pro as 250W , Dark Rock 4 as 200W , and the Dark Rock TF as 220W.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 171 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
As I struggle to decide to air cool or liquid cool my upcoming desk-pc conversion,

Any thoughts on these in a desk-pc?
Please specify the height clearance of your Desk-PC?

That will determine what size of Air-Cooler to use otherwise you will be spending heaps of money on something that is too BIG for your Desk-PC.

I had fallen into that trap because my height clearance is lower than most, hence most top quality air coolers wouldn't fit inside it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
Unless you have a case with weird airflow situation the Dark Rock Pro 4 are going to provided you a better thermal performance since the air isn't recirculated.
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
Please specify the height clearance of your Desk-PC?

That will determine what size of Air-Cooler to use otherwise you will be spending heaps of money on something that is too BIG for your Desk-PC.

I had fallen into that trap because my height clearance is lower than most, hence most top quality air coolers wouldn't fit inside it.
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for my slow response, it's been a busy few days. I have not built the desk yet so air flow can go however I want it to and I have no height clearances to worry about. I can build the desk however I want. It will also be a rather large desk to fill a space the room 2' x 6' 8". Trying to use a piece of 3/8" thick tempered glass I've had laying around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in