Carbide 500R air flow, more fans? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Carbide 500R air flow, more fans?

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Carbide 500R air flow, more fans?

I have a Corsair Carbide Series™ 500R Mid-Tower Case with package standard fans. 2 x White light front, big side door and one in the back upper side(only exhaust fan).
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Catego...W#tab-overview
The 2 white light in the front are somehow clotted off/blocked by disks trays and the big one on the side, even if it brings air in, I am not sure if it is enough. I have one small SSD and 3 HDD's.
Do you suggest to add more fans for better air flow? upper case side has 2 free slots also I think there is one more slot in the back for air exit.
And if answer is yes ... add more, which brand and model?

Exception from the rig in signature ... one TS140P is on order, arriving somewhere next month.

thanks.

Cosminnn's Rig
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard
AsRock X570 Taichi
GPU
Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8GD5
RAM
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 512MB SSD
Power Supply
Antec High Current Gamer 750W
Cooling
Stock Ryzen 3700X
Case
Carbide Series 500R
Monitor
Sony XF9005
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Cosminnn; 11-29-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1674 (Unique: 931)
I think the front of 5.25" drive bays is same grill as lower front. It lines up with CPU cooler so a 140/120mm fan in these bays to improve case airflow.

Remove all PCie back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU. Even if they are vented covers they will limit airflow to less than half what will flow with them removed.

I suggest you read 'Ways to Better Cooling' in link below to help understand case airflow and how to get the most out of it:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the tips. I began reading the thread you recommended, but I have a follow up question: which fan brand and model would you suggest? I guess what you have on your system are the default fans coming with the case.
Also reading 'Ways to Better Cooling' thread got me the idea to buy a 3 pin(current default case fans) to 4 pin adapter/connector. I have enough motherboard connectors to fit almost all. Not sure if a splitter with both 3 pins and 4 pins exists, to control everything from the CPU fan ...

Cosminnn's Rig
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard
AsRock X570 Taichi
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Stock Ryzen 3700X
Case
Carbide Series 500R
Monitor
Sony XF9005
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Cosminnn View Post
Thanks for the tips. I began reading the thread you recommended, but I have a follow up question: which fan brand and model would you suggest? I guess what you have on your system are the default fans coming with the case.
Also reading 'Ways to Better Cooling' thread got me the idea to buy a 3 pin(current default case fans) to 4 pin adapter/connector. I have enough motherboard connectors to fit almost all. Not sure if a splitter with both 3 pins and 4 pins exists, to control everything from the CPU fan ...
You don't need to read whole thread. The post link is to about airflow and how to optimize it cover most important bits about case airflow.
I like Phanteks PH-F120MP and PH-F140MP fans because the are quite good and not too expensive. Best fans are be quiet! Silent Wings 3 but they are very expensive and not a lot better than the Phanteks ones. People who have got Arctic P series fans say they are good, but I have seen no in depth testing or talked to anyone who has used good fans like I listed who has compared P series to top tier fans, and as I haven't tried them I can only say others think they are good fans with low prices.

i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 417 (Unique: 280)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
People who have got Arctic P series fans say they are good, but I have seen no in depth testing or talked to anyone who has used good fans like I listed who has compared P series to top tier fans, and as I haven't tried them I can only say others think they are good fans with low prices.
I finally broke down and tried a pair of P14s as intakes on my EVOLV ATX. I had to run them at higher noise levels than the F140MP to get the same temps. They didn't work out for my application, and they are definitely cheap feeling compared to the F140MP.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

You don't need to read whole thread. The post link is to about airflow and how to optimize it cover most important bits about case airflow.
I like Phanteks PH-F120MP and PH-F140MP fans because the are quite good and not too expensive. Best fans are be quiet! Silent Wings 3 but they are very expensive and not a lot better than the Phanteks ones. People who have got Arctic P series fans say they are good, but I have seen no in depth testing or talked to anyone who has used good fans like I listed who has compared P series to top tier fans, and as I haven't tried them I can only say others think they are good fans with low prices.
I am reading the topics in the summary ... case air flow, splitters/connectors, thermal paste. Very informative. Again ... Thanks !!!
Related to Corsair 500R case ... the white fans ( 2 in front and 1 huge on the side) have a proprietary 3 pin connector and can not be used with adapters or connectors. Those can be controlled from the case switch. Only black rear fan has a default compatible pin connector (but I do not remember if I purchase it separately or it was provided with the case).

I have to check which fan dimension will fit the front of 5.25" drive bays ... and if there are holes for connecting a fan.Found both brand fans suggested on a Romanian on-line retailer:
https://www.forit.ro/ventilatoare-ra...unctie-pwm-da/ - last 3 ones for Be quiet !
https://www.forit.ro/ventilatoare-ra...unctie-pwm-da/ again last 3 ones for Phanteks
for reference 1 EUR=4,9 RON (lei)

Cosminnn's Rig
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard
AsRock X570 Taichi
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Stock Ryzen 3700X
Case
Carbide Series 500R
Monitor
Sony XF9005
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
I finally broke down and tried a pair of P14s as intakes on my EVOLV ATX. I had to run them at higher noise levels than the F140MP to get the same temps. They didn't work out for my application, and they are definitely cheap feeling compared to the F140MP.
Thank you for doing basic test of Arctic P14. I

So noisier than MPs at same performance level and cheaper feeling.

Your testing and knowing we like same kinds of sounds and performance in fans means I won't be buying or using any in my builds. Question is should users on very limited budgets consider Arctic P14 fans as an option?=r Or are they not worth it even at half the price of PH-F140MPs (one third the cost of Silent Wings 3 140mm) by users on very limited budgets?

Quote: Originally Posted by Cosminnn View Post
I am reading the topics in the summary ... case air flow, splitters/connectors, thermal paste. Very informative. Again ... Thanks !!!
Related to Corsair 500R case ... the white fans ( 2 in front and 1 huge on the side) have a proprietary 3 pin connector and can not be used with adapters or connectors. Those can be controlled from the case switch. Only black rear fan has a default compatible pin connector (but I do not remember if I purchase it separately or it was provided with the case).

I have to check which fan dimension will fit the front of 5.25" drive bays ... and if there are holes for connecting a fan.Found both brand fans suggested on a Romanian on-line retailer:
https://www.forit.ro/ventilatoare-ra...unctie-pwm-da/ - last 3 ones for Be quiet !
https://www.forit.ro/ventilatoare-ra...unctie-pwm-da/ again last 3 ones for Phanteks
for reference 1 EUR=4,9 RON (lei)
I'm guessing your motherboard has enough fan headers to control all the case fans you need .. keeping in mind you only need 2-4 good intake fans to move air through case.
Fitting fan in 5.25" drive bays doesn't need fancy mounts. Can use strips of foam to wedge fan into bay or zip-tie fan at back of bay. Here is 120mm fan held in with foam:

And here is 140mm mounted to back of 5.25" bay:

Be creative. Here is link to long thread of fitting fans into 5.25" optical bays. Sadly most of the pics are gone.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...-graphics.html

PH-F140MP are about 2/3rd the cost of Silent Wings 3. Silent Wings 2 are not good for our uses because they have very low pressure ratings.

Last edited by doyll; 12-02-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 417 (Unique: 280)
Thank you for doing basic test of Arctic P14. I

So noisier than MPs at same performance level and cheaper feeling.

Your testing and knowing we like same kinds of sounds and performance in fans means I won't be buying or using any in my builds. Question is should users on very limited budgets consider Arctic P14 fans as an option?=r Or are they not worth it even at half the price of PH-F140MPs (one third the cost of Silent Wings 3 140mm) by users on very limited budgets?
Since I only tested them in a singular application, and a kind of funky one at that, I'm not in a position to really answer that. But....given that the P14 is up to $10 in the US if you buy them individually, and the F140MP can be had for $13 from NewEgg, I would be more inclined to recommend the F140MP as a budget fan. But, if you are doing the P14 5-Pack for $24, they are a steal and it opens up an appreciable difference in cost, even if only four of them work out of the box.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Since I only tested them in a singular application, and a kind of funky one at that, I'm not in a position to really answer that. But....given that the P14 is up to $10 in the US if you buy them individually, and the F140MP can be had for $13 from NewEgg, I would be more inclined to recommend the F140MP as a budget fan. But, if you are doing the P14 5-Pack for $24, they are a steal and it opens up an appreciable difference in cost, even if only four of them work out of the box.
Makes perfect sense.
Here we have PH-F140MP 2-pack for £16.26 (8.26) and Arctic P14 5-pack for £24.49 (@£4.90) makes it a much harder decision.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I took the 150 fan from my not-used Achron Rev.A and set it up on the upper side of the case. It blows half on the ram and the other half on the CPU default cooler.
Maybe I could lower RAM timings with the newfound cooling opportunity, I'm at 3800 CL 15

Cosminnn's Rig
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard
AsRock X570 Taichi
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Stock Ryzen 3700X
Case
Carbide Series 500R
Monitor
Sony XF9005
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in