Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermalright Frost Spirit

55K views 305 replies 42 participants last post by  Owterspace 
#1 · (Edited)
As "leaked" from ChipHell, purportedly soon(TM):
(though given the existence of an actual retail packaging, probable; they're usually designed and cut last)

Original post found here: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2164455-1-1.html

Will be interesting to see it tested, assuming anyone capable picks it up.. Best case scenario, Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed will, and they're both useless. Or if we're really lucky, maybe JayzzzztwoCentz(!11) will, he has that revolutionary method of fan testing; you know, the one without any numbers, just a hankerchief (EK Vardar fans, video's still up; he even goes on to proclaim them the best ever! Talk about dedication to science). Amazing stuff.
Either way, while the fin arrangement's a nice idea, they're still too spread apart for my liking, though i grant that the majority of users will benefit from that design as they aim for sub-1500 revolutions. Just.. not the way to get that Performance Crown, now is it.
My cynical self also has a thing or two to say about the different fan casings, but.. there'll be time enough for that :)

(Noctua needs to get their stuff in gear pronto; first the new Assassin, now this. That new NHD15 is about two years late; i honestly wonder if they got too big for their own good, goes together with slow, or if they're having production issues; volume coming to mind mostly)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
RGB fans from Thermalright. Didn't see that one coming.

Four 8 mm-thick nickel-plated copper heat pipes pull heat from the mirror-finish nickel-plated copper base, spreading it across the fin-stacks.
Techpowerup

Very interested to see how it performs.

Perhaps we'll also see xtreme versions?

#3 ·
Perhaps we'll also see xtreme versions?
Wouldn't mind :)
But honestly? I mostly wish they revised their mounting mechanism; it's not exactly the easiest to work with, to put it kindly.

The rgb fans may a letdown for the few remaining normal people on this planet, but.. makes sense for TR given the audience; it's what it is.
(i've stocked up on TY143s like you wouldn't believe.. got me a vaccuum sealer and have each fan individually packaged, lol. Sooner or later, they too will join the rainbow parade, inevitable. Man has to be prepared!)

#5 · (Edited)
1. It's unimpressive. Even at 8mm, 4 heatpipes it's not gonna compete at the top end.

2. I don't like dual tower coolers as they focus raw power rather than eficiency. And 99% users don't use coolers at max fan speed.

3. It's probably not gonna be available in the west,...... and by west, i mean Europe/US.

4. I agree about NOCTUA to some extent, but as long as media picture the NH d15 as the undisputed king, there's not much to do.

Media has a really strong impact in people's minds. I've seen video reviews, very often, where the issue was shown on the screen, while the reviewer giving props to the product. Nobody would react to the issue. It's completely incredible.

#6 ·
D15 isn’t the undisputed king, and it hasn’t been for a long time. Years.

#8 ·
Will be interesting to see it tested, assuming anyone capable picks it up.. Best case scenario, Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed will, and they're both useless. Or if we're really lucky, maybe JayzzzztwoCentz(!11) will, he has that revolutionary method of fan testing; you know, the one without any numbers, just a hankerchief (EK Vardar fans, video's still up; he even goes on to proclaim them the best ever! Talk about dedication to science). Amazing stuff.
LOL....the state of component reviews is so sad. Information makes no difference, just be a talking head that is relatable to people who spend fifteen hours a day alone playing video games. And for your info, Jay has renamed his channel to JayzzzEKShillzzzzz (cuz they give me all my gearzzzzzz).

• Rep+
Reactions: Aenra
#10 · (Edited)
LOL....the state of component reviews is so sad. Information makes no difference
Yes.. worse still, most are either unable to acknowledge this, on a technical field for crying out loud, or simply don't care i guess?
Extra tragedy cookies given that the above stands today. The 'Era of Information'. Free information at that, is it not?

To the user (edit: it's Shenhua, apologies) before the beloved Charlatan, criticising the heat pipes, heat pipes aren't everything. Proven time and time again; they are a significant contributing factor, but far from a sole indicator. Patience :)
I agree about media and appearances of course; which is why i'm perplexed with Noctua's delay, perception is king and they know it. This goes beyond their NH-D15 mind you. They went through all the trouble to design a proper Threadripper cooler, also announced over a year ago, functional samples at expeditions and everything, launch to coincide with the 3960Xs/70Xs. And? Where is it?
/crickets

#13 ·
Extra tragedy cookies omg I’m dieing. I’m home with my kid today and he is wondering what was so funny daddy.

#15 ·
I know this is a midrange cooler, but I bet it will do well. Fat pipes, with not a lot of bend to them. And look at that cold plate. Mint. Not bad for the price.

#19 ·
A tweaked IFX with a nicer cold plate, and better mount. Its a nice evolution. I cant say I care for RGB, but I would buy this cooler.

#20 · (Edited)
Seems Thermalright is going back in time with this one.

They used 4x 8mm heatpipes in one of the first if not first twin tower CPU coolers way back in 2007, the IFX-14 (L146.2xW124xH161mm/790g with IFX-10 backside heatsink).

Then released Cogage Arrow (L147xW123xH163mm/825g)) (slightly modified IFX-14) in 2009.

Then original Silver Arrow (L127.8xW147xH163mm)(slightly modified Cogage Arrow) in 2010 (L147xW123xH163mm/825g) in 2010.

Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow cooled a couple degrees better than NH-D14. I never tested IFX-14 against them, but suspect similar temps, maybe a little better because of IFX-10 backside cooler.

A few reviewers have tested NH-D14 against NH-D15 and found with same fans NH-D14 is a little better than D15.

I see no reason to think Frost Spirit performance will different from Thermalright's other 4x 8mm heatpipe cooleers .. meaning Frost Spirit performance will be one of the best air coolers on the market.

#230 ·
Seems Thermalright is going back in time with this one.

They used 4x 8mm heatpipes in one of the first if not first twin tower CPU coolers way back in 2007, the IFX-14 (L146.2xW124xH161mm/790g with IFX-10 backside heatsink).

Then released Cogage Arrow (L147xW123xH163mm/825g)) (slightly modified IFX-14) in 2009.

Then original Silver Arrow (L127.8xW147xH163mm)(slightly modified Cogage Arrow) in 2010 (L147xW123xH163mm/825g) in 2010.

Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow cooled a couple degrees better than NH-D14. I never tested IFX-14 against them, but suspect similar temps, maybe a little better because of IFX-10 backside cooler.

A few reviewers have tested NH-D14 against NH-D15 and found with same fans NH-D14 is a little better than D15.

I see no reason to think Frost Spirit performance will different from Thermalright's other 4x 8mm heatpipe cooleers .. meaning Frost Spirit performance will be one of the best air coolers on the market.
How do these coolers you mention compare to the True Spirit 140 Power? I have mine with just the stock fan but I have a second identical Thermalright 140mm fan I was thinking of adding. The second fan is just sitting on the shelf doing nothing otherwise.

#26 ·
What do you mean by 'high end' one?

#29 ·
Honestly, if you have a small cpu chances are only 4 pipes on TS140P are covering the die anyways. This cooler will do alright I think.

#31 ·
#33 ·
Excellent. Well, looks like I’m getting one. Might have to replace my LGMRT. I already have a TS140P sitting on my x58.

#36 ·
That looks like an matx board. Should be fine for atx. Also, could be just me but that also looks like tall ram, probably why they used a 120 up front.

#38 · (Edited)
It's an atx board, even if not it covers both slots, ram may be over a bit on different boards but not that much.

To your second point I see what you mean, I just looked at the square shape of the ram and thought it was something low pro like Vengance.

Still something to look out for though, I have had clearance problems with ram that was supposed to fit with my Macho Rev B. Mainly because it is on an itx board but still, most of the good ram has a decent size heat spreader.

(Noctua needs to get their stuff in gear pronto; first the new Assassin, now this.
I had not seen this one before, looks pretty sweet.

#39 ·
Ahahahaha....

I donno what I was thinking. The cooler came and I realized there is no way it can fit on my mobo or even the case..

Asrock z77e ITX mobo on Jonsbo W2 itx case.

it seems to be a great quality 1kg paperweight. for now.

I'll try to actually fit it when I get some time, but.. what the hell was I thinking

#40 ·
Got any pics?

#41 ·
There are plenty of itx builds that have Le Grand Macho RT installed, did you try to mount it or did you just look at it and said na not gonna work?

#49 · (Edited)
If you have the room TRUE Spirit 140 Power is great.

Frost Spirit has 4x 8mm heatpipes
TRUE Spirit 140 Power has 6x 8mm heatpipes rated 360w TDP (6x 60w)
ARO-M14 has 6x 6mm heatpipes rated 240w TDP (6 x 40w)
Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme, Silver Arrow IB-E rev. B, Silver Arrow T8, & Silver Arrow T8 all have 8x 6mm heatpipes, all rated 320w TDP (8 x 40w)
Silver Arrow 130 has 6x 6mm heatpipes rated 240w TDP (6 x 40w)

Basically it appears they are rating 6mm heatpipes 40w TDP each and 8mm 60w TDP each, and while this does not take base, fins or how heatpipe is fitted to them into TDP rating, it does give us at least an idea of cooler performance.

Honestly they are all good. Only problems I've see have been CPU IHS not being so and cooler base does not mate up properly giving a poor seat that doesn't tranfer heat like it should. But this can be a problem with most all coolers.

#48 ·
That’s easy, get both, they’re cheap!

#50 ·
There's an idea. If I glued them together, that would make a 600W TDP cooler!

I like that this one supposedly has a flat base. Although I haven't measured my IHS to see if that should matter at all. Heatpipe direction isn't supposed to matter, but on the dual towers they run perpendicular to the 2700X's die. Not that it matters currently, but this one's dimensions should be more compatible if it was going into a different build or case.

I would probably run this with only one fan though, so there goes a degree or two.

Really I just wish there was more info and a date to expect this to show up on Nan's Amazon store.

This post has been deleted
#52 ·
TS140P is an awesome cooler, I would get a Frost Spirit just to have.. and if it happens to be better than either of my other coolers, then that's where it stays. I don't think it will, but it may keep up. We'll see I reckon.

Edit:

Forgot to quote.

#53 ·
I'm looking forward to testing Frost Spirit. I don't think it's as as good as TRUE Spirit 140 Power. I expect Frost Spirit's 4x 8mm heatpipes will not perform as good as TRUE Spirit 140 Power's 6x 8mm heatpipes. That said, original 4x 8mm heatpipe coolers like Thermalright IFX-14, Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow all have 4x 8mm heatpipes and performed same / slightly better than NH-D14, and some in some tests NH-D14 cooled same to slightly better than NH-D15 when both use same fans.

#54 ·
If it can keep up with LGMRT I would be impressed. As much as I like it, it is a tad large. I wanted to pull my board out today but decided against it because I would have to remove the cooler to get at a screw, and the EPS12v. Lots of room for ram though! :D

#55 · (Edited)
We need some LGMRT and TS140 Power owners to do some comparison testing against Frost Spirit.

I'm also intersted in testing Frost Spirit with TY-143 fans and/or other hi-performance fans.

Would be interesting to test is against Fuma Rev.B with 6x 6mm heatpipes and 137x114x154,5mm w/o front fan (WxDxH) dimensions vs Frost Spirit with 4x 8mm heatpipes and 140x121x158mm w/o front fan. Would be nice to test them with same fans too. Fuma Rev.B middle fan spins clockwise, the opposite direction it's front and all other cooler fans spin .. which is counterclockwise. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.