IceGiant ProSiphon Elite - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

IceGiant ProSiphon Elite

post #11 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Linus told in theory it could last 10 lifetimes, so in 2900 we can give this as inheritance to our descendants, now that is futureproofing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 AM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 251 (Unique: 214)
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
Quick glance; pics are not of same cooler / same condenser size as in dimensional drawings are. Seems there is a huge difference between 2019 & 2020 models.

The pictures are from tht prototype, which is what is shown in the video. But he says production is going to me much thinner. Which is what the drawings look to be.

You should check out the video.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
Sapphire Reference RX 5700
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible.

One of the bigger issues with these high TDP CPU's is getting the heat off of the die, not the cooling fin stack.

The thermal transfer at the chip is where the limitation of both air and water coolers is often met.

Notice how they compare this thing against a single fan, single fin stack NH-U14 and not a NH-D15 with two IPPC 3000 rpm fans.

Very interesting product.

CPU
i9-9960X @ 4.8 GHz, 3.2 GHz Mesh
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Edition 30
GPU
GeForce RTX 2080 Super
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR
Power Supply
Seasonic 1000
Cooling
D5 PWM + 280mm + 360mm
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
CPU
i9-9920X @ 4.6 GHz, 3.0 GHz Mesh
Motherboard
Asus TUF X299 MARK 1
GPU
GeForce RTX 2080
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ
Power Supply
Seasonic 850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
Looks pretty awesome. A horizontal mount case would be a must. And only $150, I'd consider this if it performs.
Is that because of the 900g weight (over 1kg with fans)?
post #15 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 36)
Quote: Originally Posted by Wizzzard View Post
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible.

One of the bigger issues with these high TDP CPU's is getting the heat off of the die, not the cooling fin stack.

The thermal transfer at the chip is where the limitation of both air and water coolers is often met.

Notice how they compare this thing against a single fan, single fin stack NH-U14 and not a NH-D15 with two IPPC 3000 rpm fans.

I was about to say the same. Test was compare to small Noctua cooler that is not even on par with performance of big guys.
Btw. this thing is absolutely hideous
post #16 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
I assume , Noctua D15 with those delta fans would perform same as this giant, so im not very impressed.
post #17 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 45 (Unique: 27)
Once again, Linus with the click bait title... *sigh*.. please share another creators video when possible
Before playing it smart, did you read? I mean really read?
Thus far, it's been covered by two media outlets; they're both represented here, as is fair.
I'm the first to pinpoint the irony of "my linking a Linus Tech Tips video in one of my posts", thereby hinting at everything a clueless person needs be aware of.
Until recently, we had no clueless people around here. Or at the least, we didn't primarily focus on them. Perhaps you represent a change.

As to the rest:
- doyll has already been answered, but yeah; i link the final designs, but also post current pics (from Tom's) because the current version is all we have to go by. Mentioned in both the video and the URL links.
- the tricycle man (he knows who he is), needs to finally learn how to ride a proper bike, or stick to his "AIOs are best" threads.
- Regarding performance, the testing thereof or the correct methodology/validity of the results, i will once again (surprise) repeat myself, as it's all mentioned in the very OP:

i) It is new (not generally, new as in within our market). That's a good start; we have better tech, but no one's been implementing it. Yet.
ii) It is promising, or at the least appears to have something to offer. It doesn't have to be 'bestest', it has to be competitive. That's the drive for improvement.
iii) It is purported, purported (hence my saying in the OP wait for the final sample), to offer performance improvements much higher than what we're accustomed to (a certain someone playing it smart mentioned a non-flagship Noctua cooler, but "neglected" to mention how i) it's a TR4 platofrm so that's the biggest Noctua has, ii) how the Thermosiphon fared against a revised, TR4-plated 360 Phoenix).

I will remind that for air cooling, improvements are at best measured in single degrees Celsius.

Ergo? I made the post.
Please refrain from teaching me how to be cynical. Lord knows i've beaten you all to it. Read first, think afterwards. Post last.

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 12-16-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #18 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Professional Lurker

Rep: 0
The comments about hair-dryer Delta fans don't hold up as their spec sheet states the 2x 120mm fans are run at 1175~2200 RPM, and I would consider that on about the same level as a Gentle Typhoon 2150; audible, but not screaming like a banshee. According to Tom's testing, at 50% PWM (2x 120mm, 1300 RPM) it was 1.3dBA quieter than the NH-U14S at 100% PWM (1x 140mm, 1500 RPM), but it was 1.3c warmer (70.7c vs 72.0c).

My thoughts:
-I would be disappointed if that aluminum coldplate made it to the final revision, because I think liquid metal would do wonders for this when you really pump the heat
-The purported fin density increase on the final revision may mean that faster (ergo, louder) fans than the 2200RPM Deltas would be required to make the most out of it
-Reduced fin depth does not significantly improve the case compatibility, as it is still about 250mm wide and will interfere with RAM and other components
-While using fans in parallel as opposed to serial gives you a lot more surface area and airflow to work with compared to a regular dual-tower, it also means that virtually every off-the-shelf case has a less-than-deal airflow configuration for this heatsink due to the vertical orientation (relative to the motherboard socket). Rotating it 90 degrees to have proper front-to-back airflow is not possible either as that would cause all sorts of case and PCIe slot issues.

It's not a total flop and is an interesting proof of concept but I'm left wanting more performance for it to be disruptive in this stagnant cooling market. The price is expensive for an air-cooler but cheap compared to going liquid, but I only see this working to its full potential in a bespoke case that lets it have unobstructed airflow.

Iterated
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
MSI B450M MORTAR
GPU
XFX RX 480 GTR
RAM
Team Group Vulcan
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (Black)
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG
Operating System
Win
Mouse
Logitech G703
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK+
Other
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140 High-Speed
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:05 AM
Eh, Wha?

Rep: 724 (Unique: 534)
or... call me crazy, but what if we bolted this to the chassis in the big open area on top, and used, say, some liquid-filled tubes and a pump to transport the heat from the CPU off to the big old fin stack at the top of the chassis?

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Stygian
(14 items)
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
CPU
RAM
Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 660p
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold
Case
NZXT H440 Razer Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus NX-EDG27v2
Monitor
Dell S2316H
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mousepad
Cougar Control
Audio
Creative X7 LE
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #20 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
For all the mass of the cooler and the "fancy technology" it isn't that much cooler than a a single fan NH-U14 in tom's results or the arctic 50 in linus's at max rpm.

Be interesting to compare coolers with the same fans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in