IceGiant ProSiphon Elite - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

IceGiant ProSiphon Elite

post #21 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
something perfect to keep my FT-02 for some years to come :-)

Offical Ryzen 7 3700X Owner!
AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:08 AM
Meep

Rep: 330 (Unique: 234)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
or... call me crazy, but what if we bolted this to the chassis in the big open area on top, and used, say, some liquid-filled tubes and a pump to transport the heat from the CPU off to the big old fin stack at the top of the chassis?
The entire point of this cooler is to surpass the limitations of heatpipes without introducing failure points like pumps.

Sure there are some very reliable pumps, like the D5, but those cost almost as much as this entire cooler and still aren't as reliable.
post #23 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Never Finished

Rep: 274 (Unique: 211)
What a weird product. Give me a a prototype-sized version with the production version's optimizations, copper, and 280mm. Go big or go home lol.

However, I'm more impressed that the Freezer 50 is able to cool a 400w 2990wx. If it had fans with more similar airflow and static pressure numbers as the deltas on the siphon I'm sure that small gap would get even smaller. Hell, getting rid of that shroud and putting a P14 in the front would probably do that.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 12-17-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1390 (Unique: 720)
show me the version that is going to be sold or don't show me anything, lol. a prototype is irrelevant to the end customer.

protoype:

production:

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (MX Blue)
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Mousepad
X-Ray 27" x 14"
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55N ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
G.Skill DDR3-2133 8GB
Hard Drive
Dierya 120GB SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S (Browns)
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Never Finished

Rep: 274 (Unique: 211)
Also, consider this: Chances are pretty high that Tom's and LMG did their testing with the graphics card in the bottom slot to give better airflow for the CPU. You put that cooler in a case with your typical 2/3 fan AIB graphics card cooler a couple slots away, and I'm sure those temperatures will be different from the ones we see now. I understand that this is a prototype and is going to slim down, but with that fan orientation, it's just going to suck in all the heat from the graphics card, and the thinner one will probably be even better at it. You put the graphics card near the bottom to improve cpu temps? Say goodbye to gpu temps when the fans struggle to get air with it being so close to the psu shroud. Vice versa? Say goodbye to cpu temps with all that hot air in even closer proximity to the cooler while blocking off airflow. But at least you're grahpics card will be treated like a king with all of its soiled air being efficiently chauffeured away from it.

It just seems to me like LMG and Tom's tested this cooler in a vacuum chamber. But hey, maybe slimming it to 31mm will somehow drastically reduce these side-effects. I'd like to see a more thorough analysis of this cooler in the future since too many variables are up in the air right now.

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | 51TB DAS | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW

Last edited by airisom2; 12-17-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #26 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Tetrapyloctomist

Rep: 45 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fullereneshift View Post
The comments about hair-dryer Delta fans don't hold up as their spec sheet states the 2x 120mm fans are run at 1175~2200 RPM, and I would consider that on about the same level as a Gentle Typhoon 2150; audible, but not screaming like a banshee
airflow configuration
Thank you for pointing the obvious; i didn't want to make yet another post* reiterating what's already included in the OP, though be it ADHD or petty refusal to acknowledge an error? Perhaps i should have. Nine second attention span gen, in all its glory.
* i only mentioned the sound, as they are indeed louder than their mainstream 2200 equivalent.

As to the latter, yes to both, the bottom slotted GPU obviously wasn't an accident. Nor was it something i didn't take into account, but again, i had a reason adding that 'for me' in the OP.
i) I have the option to mount any PCIe device in separate bottom compartments, multiple ones in fact, with a simple extension cable. Nothing air flow obstructed. But leaving the personal side?
Cases that allow for something similar are a lot more in common today than they used to be. And they range from the cheap all the way to something like Mountain Mods' CFO? UFO? I forget what it's called, the horizontal one. There are options out there; whether folks care, or even comprehend the reasoning behind investing in a good case rather than a "pretty" case? Not my concern frankly. And on top of that, i would again point out the obvious: no one's fault folks do the purchases they tend to do, nor is that an excuse for halting the release of newer applications/implementations.
Choices and consequences.

ii) We should also refrain from over-visualising this, as we've yet to see the final product. 90 degree mounting is one thing, the orientation of the flow is another. We have not enough to go on about that, but if (and i assume that to be the case) the fans can be mounted on either side of the Thermosiphon, then apart from horizontal cases, inverted vertical ones also become a strong contender.
And what a surprise there! If on air cooling, second best from horizontal has always been the inverted vertical one. Always. And what a second surprise (not), that they didn't sell as well as their 'normal' counterparts. Be it because consumers lacked the knowledge, or be it because "consumers" wanted pretty, on their desk right next to them and looking at the pretty colors!!(!!11).
Choices and consequences.

Either way, we can be realistic and attest to the fact that an easy 70% of PCs out there have a stiffled CPU blower, whatever the reasons. And they shall continue to.
In most cases, a better but stiffled cooler will outperform a worse but equally stiffled cooler.

Pride, honour and purity.

Last edited by Aenra; 12-17-2019 at 10:36 PM.
post #27 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Fullereneshift View Post
The comments about hair-dryer Delta fans don't hold up as their spec sheet states the 2x 120mm fans are run at 1175~2200 RPM, and I would consider that on about the same level as a Gentle Typhoon 2150; audible, but not screaming like a banshee. According to Tom's testing, at 50% PWM (2x 120mm, 1300 RPM) it was 1.3dBA quieter than the NH-U14S at 100% PWM (1x 140mm, 1500 RPM), but it was 1.3c warmer (70.7c vs 72.0c).
you just proved my point about the fans. 2200 rpm, very loud and only 4C cooler than the noctua with a single fan, single row of fin stacks. Then when the noise is almost the same the noctua is cooler. For it's huge size and the airflow of those fans the cooler is pretty poor.
post #28 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by darkage View Post
something perfect to keep my FT-02 for some years to come :-)
I asked the manufacturer about the FT02, since I own one as well. Unfortunately, this cooler won't work in that orientation. Coolant will only circulate in the two positions shown in the first post in the thread. If it's rotated 90 degrees clockwise to fit in the Fortress case, it won't flow.
post #29 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 719 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
oh dear did you forget to take your lithium this morning.

They are going to supply fans based on fan speed, noise level and airflow.

those delta fans make a lot of noise and there is only 4C difference in temps between the ice giant and the noctua.

its ******* massive to the point to too big.

the delta fans at 50% are as loud as the noctua's at 100%.

so its more expensive, way way bigger, much louder and only 4C cooler which makes bugger all difference.

so why are you getting your pants in a twist?
i take it you didn't obsorb much of the available info, as this was discussed.

also, production will be like 1/3 the size some how.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #30 of 180 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 07:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i take it you didn't obsorb much of the available info, as this was discussed.

also, production will be like 1/3 the size some how.
Available info - Its huge (2kg), more expensive than other air coolers, Fans are too loud and have poor performance to noise, hardly beats other coolers that are cheaper, smaller and quieter.

As a proof of concept it is pretty poor given the info above. It offers no actual advantage.

There is no production version. When there is I'll revisit my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in